Oil Problems 09 Bagger

Energy One

Mastiff Rider64

Supporting Member
Hi guys,
I have a few questions I'm hoping to get some help on. I have an 09 Bagger that back in November I took to a shop. While it was there the mechanic called me and told me that I had gas in my oil. He claimed the flushed the whole system out added new oil and fixed the problem with the gas getting into the oil, which he said was an injector leaking while the bike wasn't running. When I went to pick the bike up from the shop in April, yes April, the day I got there the mechanic asked me if the bike was running before I brought it to him because he couldn't get oil pressure or the oil pump to pump. After an hour of trying he finally got it to pump. Here it is a little over a month later and yesterday 6-15-19, I was out riding enjoying my ride when I happen to notice my oil light on speedo flickering. It would sometimes come on and stay on a few seconds, especially when at a stop and idling. I'm planning on taking it to a S&S certified local shop in a few days, but was wondering are there things I could check first to see if I could fix the problem. I don't have a service manual for the 09 bagger I just bought the bike in Sept of last year. So, I'm not 100 percent where everything is or how things are suppose to be checked, like the oil level, leaning on kickstand or standing straight up? And if I need to drain the oil where is the drain, I found where the oil goes but havent seen or found a drain.And if it is gas in the oil again, if the injectors have been changed what would I try next. I just spent a few thousand dollars in April on this bike I don't want to spend a few thousand more.
Thanks,
Terry

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
Hi Terry—I have a 2010 Bagger with the 111’ engine, same as yours. The dipstick says to check with the bike upright. It is an easy reach when sitting on the bike. My 2010 has a skid plate under the engine.
There is a single oil drain plug with an Allen head. If you look at your primary case and see the big circle (clutch is in there) in the rear —no disrespect, but I don’t know how much you know about the bike—your oil drain plug is centered on that just a couple of inches under the bike. In fact it is the only thing sticking out of the entire skid plate. Be sure to use something that will hold some over 3 qts before you remove the Allen plug to drain the oil. Best done where the engine is hot. Ditto for the oil filter—it uses a Harley EVO (evolution engine) type filter. NO twin cam filter!

I’ve not heard of a fuel injected engine leaking gas into the oil. This is interesting. When you go to start the engine, the fuel pump pressures up to about 60 psi. The pump doesn’t operate with the ignition switch off. I have no idea if there is a pressure relief valve to let off the 60 psi when you hit the kill switch, or It just kinda bleeds out when you turn it off. That could force gas into the cylinder. If the fuel injectors were replaced, I cannot think of another way fuel could get in the oil. So my bet would be that they could have put in another defective injector, or maybe didn’t replace them at all. I’d definitely go have a chat with the guys who worked on it. Always a good idea to ask for the defective parts they removed so you can autopsy if needed.
Gonna watch this thread to see—please keep us posted.

Last edited:

Mastiff Rider64

Supporting Member
Hi Terry—I have a 2010 Bagger with the 111’ engine, same as yours. The dipstick says to check with the bike upright. It is an easy reach when sitting on the bike. My 2010 has a skid plate under the engine.
There is a single oil drain plug with an Allen head. If you look at your primary case and see the big circle (clutch is in there) in the rear —no disrespect, but I don’t know how much you know about the bike—your oil drain plug is centered on that just a couple of inches under the bike. In fact it is the only thing sticking out of the entire skid plate. Be sure to use something that will hold some over 3 qts before you remove the Allen plug to drain the oil. Best done where the engine is hot. Ditto for the oil filter—it uses a Harley EVO (evolution engine) type filter. NO twin cam filter!

I’ve not heard of a fuel injected engine leaking gas into the oil. This is interesting. When you go to start the engine, the fuel pump pressures up to about 60 psi. The pump doesn’t operate with the ignition switch off. I have no idea if there is a pressure relief valve to let off the 60 psi when you hit the kill switch, or It just kinda bleeds out when you turn it off. That could force gas into the cylinder. If the fuel injectors were replaced, I cannot think of another way fuel could get in the oil. So my bet would be that they could have put in another defective injector, or maybe didn’t replace them at all. I’d definitely go have a chat with the guys who worked on it. Always a good idea to ask for the defective parts they removed so you can autopsy if needed.
Gonna watch this thread to see—please keep us posted.
I don't know much about the bagger only had it in my possession for 3 months out of the 9 I've owned it, even tho I'm learning. I've had the fairing off, the electrical side covers, the saddlebags and installed the Ginz Choppers sissybar. Other than that not that good with the other stuff. I have an 06 Mastiff that I've had 13 years to learn and the bagger is a whole different animal. lol. But I do appreciate the info. As for running by the shop and asking them I would but they are 10 hours away, and after the ass ripping none lubed screw I got from them for doing work to both my bikes over 6 months time, I'd rather not speak to them if I don't have to. Your probably right about them not replacing the injectors, they didn't replace a lot of stuff they were suppose to. And the day I went to pick them both up after being told they were ready walking in their shop and seeing the Mastiff with no gas tank, jugs, heads, front fender, downtubes still tore apart, and not to mention finding out later that the front turn signals were installed backwards (left turn signal was on right tube and vise versa) and the bagger was without the stereo system I thought I was buying and told new head unit was put in and speakers, yet when I took fairing off and checked there was no amp and same factory Alpine speakers were on the bike instead of the ones I wanted. Not to mention the oil pump thing from earlier I mentioned. But spare parts wise I only brought home a front tire. I asked for my spare parts but they had been misplaced or thrown away over the 6 months my bikes were there. Anyway..... Thanks for the advise and help on locating the oil plug. Also if you run across a manual please let me know.

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
I don't know much about the bagger only had it in my possession for 3 months out of the 9 I've owned it, even tho I'm learning. I've had the fairing off, the electrical side covers, the saddlebags and installed the Ginz Choppers sissybar. Other than that not that good with the other stuff. I have an 06 Mastiff that I've had 13 years to learn and the bagger is a whole different animal. lol. But I do appreciate the info. As for running by the shop and asking them I would but they are 10 hours away, and after the ass ripping none lubed screw I got from them for doing work to both my bikes over 6 months time, I'd rather not speak to them if I don't have to. Your probably right about them not replacing the injectors, they didn't replace a lot of stuff they were suppose to. And the day I went to pick them both up after being told they were ready walking in their shop and seeing the Mastiff with no gas tank, jugs, heads, front fender, downtubes still tore apart, and not to mention finding out later that the front turn signals were installed backwards (left turn signal was on right tube and vise versa) and the bagger was without the stereo system I thought I was buying and told new head unit was put in and speakers, yet when I took fairing off and checked there was no amp and same factory Alpine speakers were on the bike instead of the ones I wanted. Not to mention the oil pump thing from earlier I mentioned. But spare parts wise I only brought home a front tire. I asked for my spare parts but they had been misplaced or thrown away over the 6 months my bikes were there. Anyway..... Thanks for the advise and help on locating the oil plug. Also if you run across a manual please let me know.
Sorry for the royal f**king you got. It would be nice to let others know what shop so they won't get the same treatment.

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
Damn im sorry they screwed u ....people just piss me off with the lazy shit and lies...hope you get ur bikes all straightened out...i know nothing on the baggers...but there is alot of folks on here that do and they will get u up and going

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys,
I have a few questions I'm hoping to get some help on. I have an 09 Bagger that back in November I took to a shop. While it was there the mechanic called me and told me that I had gas in my oil. He claimed the flushed the whole system out added new oil and fixed the problem with the gas getting into the oil, which he said was an injector leaking while the bike wasn't running. When I went to pick the bike up from the shop in April, yes April, the day I got there the mechanic asked me if the bike was running before I brought it to him because he couldn't get oil pressure or the oil pump to pump. After an hour of trying he finally got it to pump. Here it is a little over a month later and yesterday 6-15-19, I was out riding enjoying my ride when I happen to notice my oil light on speedo flickering. It would sometimes come on and stay on a few seconds, especially when at a stop and idling. I'm planning on taking it to a S&S certified local shop in a few days, but was wondering are there things I could check first to see if I could fix the problem. I don't have a service manual for the 09 bagger I just bought the bike in Sept of last year. So, I'm not 100 percent where everything is or how things are suppose to be checked, like the oil level, leaning on kickstand or standing straight up? And if I need to drain the oil where is the drain, I found where the oil goes but havent seen or found a drain.And if it is gas in the oil again, if the injectors have been changed what would I try next. I just spent a few thousand dollars in April on this bike I don't want to spend a few thousand more.
Thanks,
Terry
Terry, do you know what electric unit was installed? Only reason I ask is because it's possible the oil light will flicker with the ESC kit that integrated the low voltage. I have one and when I start the bike it flickers cause it's just not +14v.

I only mention because I want to make sure you aren't assuming it's oil issue if there's something else at play.

Might be worthwhile to throw an oil pressure gauge on for now so you can double check and make sure your not chasing your tail.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Mastiff Rider64

Supporting Member
Terry, do you know what electric unit was installed? Only reason I ask is because it's possible the oil light will flicker with the ESC kit that integrated the low voltage. I have one and when I start the bike it flickers cause it's just not +14v.

I only mention because I want to make sure you aren't assuming it's oil issue if there's something else at play.

Might be worthwhile to throw an oil pressure gauge on for now so you can double check and make sure your not chasing your tail.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
Well I'm not sure what electrical system your talking about but I know it wasn't doing this before I took it to the shop and it hadn't done it until the other day while riding. I do know the shop was suppose to install the 40 amp charging system in it, because I was upgrading the stereo system, which just turned out to be a head unit for 2500 dollars. But I drained the oil today before work and 5 qts come out mainly oil but lots of gas too. I'm calling s&s tomorrow to speak with someone on the issue and seeing what they think it could be. And what a cost effective fix would be for this issue. But I did see a picture of a guys bike on here that had oil temp and pressure gauges that he made a homemade bracket for his bike then on the coil side he had a voltage gauge looked cool as crap if I can find him again I was going to ask for his help in making the housing for gauges for both my bikes.

Jwooky

If I recall groundpounder had a VFI module go bad and it was powering one or more of the injectors. He was seeing raw fuel come out the exhaust.

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
Well I'm not sure what electrical system your talking about but I know it wasn't doing this before I took it to the shop and it hadn't done it until the other day while riding. I do know the shop was suppose to install the 40 amp charging system in it, because I was upgrading the stereo system, which just turned out to be a head unit for 2500 dollars. But I drained the oil today before work and 5 qts come out mainly oil but lots of gas too. I'm calling s&s tomorrow to speak with someone on the issue and seeing what they think it could be. And what a cost effective fix would be for this issue. But I did see a picture of a guys bike on here that had oil temp and pressure gauges that he made a homemade bracket for his bike then on the coil side he had a voltage gauge looked cool as crap if I can find him again I was going to ask for his help in making the housing for gauges for both my bikes.
When your ready to mount those gauges, give me a shout.