Oil filter

pastor t

Ok, changing the oil and the oil filter is the tightest oil filter I've ever tried to remove! drain plug is out, does anyone think poking a whole in the end of the filter would help? It's not reverse threads is it?...I wouldn't think so. Maybe just a little more persuasion needed.:confused: Any opinions?:D

RoadRider

If you can't get it off with a wrench , drive a large screwdriver through the filter and twist the filter using the screwdriver as a handle. I try to drive it through towards the front of the filter about 1/3rd of the way back from the front end. Any closer and you could hit the mounting threads.

jjarkys

If you can't get it off with a wrench , drive a large screwdriver through the filter and twist the filter using the screwdriver as a handle. I try to drive it through towards the front of the filter about 1/3rd of the way back from the front end. Any closer and you could hit the mounting threads.
I had to use the screwdriver trick the first time I changed mine. Makes a freakin mess but it works.

Mad Dog

ValueTeck Enterprises
Make sure the mounting area is clean and the gasket on the new filter has a thin coating of oil. I Hand tighten and then add another 1/4 turn with wrench.:2thumbs:

RAW Blue Rider

Harborfreight Tools sells a Vise-Grip style oil filter wrench with long open jaws. I used it to grab the rim of the filter near the mounting and it worked like a charm.

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
Strap Wrench should work just fine. Once off, put the new filter on correctly (i.e. make contact and then another 1/4). It's not reverse threaded.