No crank, just click. Primary gears cockeyed something binding

Nwhicks21

S o I'm working on this clutch assembly and putting it back together, but man... I've had a bad feeling since I took this thing apart and I read somewhere that my problem could be transmission bearings and that's what could've been my original problem since day 1 with the starter system binding up somewhere and it not wanting to turn over. I bought this thing last summer from a guy who told me it just needed a starter and I literally drove it 1 day before it crapped out on me. But the more I think about it and further inspect things, the more concerned I get. There's no slop or play in the main shaft, it spins freely. But idk what that little pin inside the shaft is. And I feel like maybe something inside the transmission came loose maybe a C clip or something that held the main shaft assembly out farther into the primary, bc when I originally took the primary cover off the gears and chain was cockeyed slightly and now I think about it the only thing that makes sense is the shaft fell back inside the trans about 1/4 inch or so and that's what caused the misaligned and binding? But clearly you can see in the video I'm attaching to this email, that it has been apart prior to me opening it up and appears someone may have recognized the inevitable disaster they may have had on their hands and put a band aid on it somehow long enough to offload it to me, or maybe I'm just trippin and they could have repaired whatever problem they were looking for and all this damage I see to the primary cover where the basket came loose I assume (probably due to the main shaft nut backing out like I've read they notoriously do), it's all just prior damage they occurred and they fixed the underlying problem. But that doesn't explain to me why I see rtv on the inner primary bolts? Bc they wouldn't have had to remove that too fix the clutch basket and tighten the main shaft nut. Please tell me I'm trippin and everything looks good, bc I cannot afford anything else to go wrong with this machine anytime soon, I am already 3k deep in parts and I've only rode this thing once!! And any other issues or advice you may have would be greatly appreciated! thank you

Attachments

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
I agree the clutch hub bolt came loose at one time and that is what made the outer primary cover get rubbed on....but with that said the main shaft bearing was bad or is bad that caused the rub marks on the inner primary without a doubt...it is very possible someone just put in a new main bearing to patch the bike up and send it down the road and there is more problems in the transmission...but they may have rebuilt the transmission I dont know...but what I do know is I would drain the transmission fluid to see if I saw any metal in the oil and tell.us what you find

But honestly I'm concerned you got a real problem by you saying it was all cocked when you took it apart...

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
I agree the clutch hub bolt came loose at one time and that is what made the outer primary cover get rubbed on....but with that said the main shaft bearing was bad or is bad that caused the rub marks on the inner primary without a doubt...it is very possible someone just put in a new main bearing to patch the bike up and send it down the road and there is more problems in the transmission...but they may have rebuilt the transmission I dont know...but what I do know is I would drain the transmission fluid to see if I saw any metal in the oil and tell.us what you find

But honestly I'm concerned you got a real problem by you saying it was all cocked when you took it apart...
The rub marks on the inner promary are a mjor cause of concern for me.
Looking at it in the one picture you can see where the lower and upper parts were ground down by impact right where a mount bolt is now.
This means that there are likely enough force or time to wear that bolt down to get to that surface.

I'd pull the clutch completely and pull the transmission
the tweist could be asd easy as it wasnt er-install inthe bike correctly. and the tranmission was cocked.

Nwhicks21

Ok, thank you guys! I will drain the transmission when I get home from work today and let you know. Jersey Mike- I’m not sure what you were saying there…? Pull the clutch assembly (which I already have) and reinstall it? OR pull the inner primary and the whole transmission? The shaft spins freely no grinding or unusual drag, and it appears to be centered and pretty well aligned. But I know nothing about these things, so I have no problem doing whatever needs done to make sure it is done right. I just cannot afford much else so I really hope it’s all good

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Ok, thank you guys! I will drain the transmission when I get home from work today and let you know. Jersey Mike- I’m not sure what you were saying there…? Pull the clutch assembly (which I already have) and reinstall it? OR pull the inner primary and the whole transmission? The shaft spins freely no grinding or unusual drag, and it appears to be centered and pretty well aligned. But I know nothing about these things, so I have no problem doing whatever needs done to make sure it is done right. I just cannot afford much else so I really hope it’s all good
I'd pull it all, inner, transmission clutch and re-assemble carefully according to the manual.
If you look at the wear into the inner primary it is the front (towards engine) more so than the rear -- that indicates to me that at some point the transmission was cocked at an angle or loose when the bub nut loosened and the system was grinding in to the inner primary.
For my money once you are in there its worth check/resetting everything in this case case if that transmission is off center just a bit, you're going to have problems.
Make sure you follow the re-assemble instructions inclusing the use of loctite, torque specs etc. Order of assemble in this area MATTERS greatly.

Nwhicks21

Also I got the gen 2 ehc kit, and there’s one connector I can’t figure out. It goes up to the front of frame to what looks like voltage regulator and runs inside the box, but the new harness only has a single wire that looks like it should bolt direct to the frame somewhere? Did I get the wrong harness and if so can I splice or bypass it anyhow?