Fuel Spill

JR03CHOPPER

Had a crazy thing happen to me for the first time since I have owned the Big Dogs or any motorcycle for that matter. My 2003 Chopper has been down for more than a year. It has been on the lift in the garage. This morning about 3:30am I woke to a noxious smell in the house. Mind you...my bedroom is the complete opposite corner of the house from my garage. I could not make out the door, but it was a chemical smell. I jumped out of bed to find the source, thinking that there was a electrical fire of some sort. Followed the smell to the garage. After feeling the door for heat, I opened it and was blasted by the odor. The Chopper, on the lift, was spewing gas from the overflow line. Evidently, the petcock was in the "on" position this whole time (over a year). The gas had created a puddle on the floor under the lift. It actually ate away at the epoxy garage floor coating (the noxious chemical smell). Shop rags and baking soda.....the house still reaks. Both petcocks are now "OFF". Valuable lesson learned. I would hate to think what might have happened, had I not awoken when I did. The battery tender was sitting in the puddle of gas!!!

Just thought I would share the lesson. I never turn mine off....but I will now!

PS...never got the paint!! Thank God!!!