few questions

Energy One
i have a 02 pitbull i just picked up last week. i got it from a dealer. once it warms up it seems to misfire and studder when cruising. if you get on it it takes off and quits. i took it back friday they put new plugs in it and adjusted carb. but once you ride it for 15 mins or so its doing it again.

2nd does anyone know of kit or anything to move the foot controls back some?

Last does anyone know of a 2 up seat for the 02? i notice on the site they offer a 2 up seat for the 03 and up and noting for the 02

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Sounds like you are fouling out the plugs. Are you using the enrichener to start the bike. If you do when do you turn it off?
You shouldn't be using it if you don't need to. You can start the bike without it.

If not then could be something in the float bowl so may have to clean out the carb.
As far as the pegs you could contact Thunderheart to see if they made short pegs but I doubt it. You can get a push seat though for the newer models but hard to find stuff for you age of bike. I would contact High End who has been making the seats for BDM for a long time to see if they can help you out.

:flag:

Last edited:

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Here is a classic. Watch the black smoke shoot out the pipe and listen to the high idle.

Big time fouled. :loony:

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=14VS0lJfCEA]YouTube - my BigDOG Chopper[/ame]

yea i dont run the enricher. but strange on how it sputters and pops through the exhaust and sometimes the carb but only after full warm up runs fine cold

gilbert81

On the seat good luck i have an 01 pitbull have looked everywhere for one and have never found one. It sucks on these old dogs that you cant find anything for them. But good luck with the bike.

firedog

Bryan
Seats...Call Dan in parts at Big Dog factory in Wichita. He helped me find a solo for my 2000 Bulldog. He was extremely helpful after my frustrating search. I should have called him in the first place.

woodysan

foot pegs!

:flag: nah! nah! nah! I have a 01' prosport and had Kuryakin foward foot pegs installed and they not only look great but function very well. I'm short and could hardly reach rear brake now I can shift and use rear brake much better. They came back almost 2 inches,if you need part numbers let me know,am off to MB Monday. Best of luck, Woody:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

CCRainman

The 02-03 seats are the same. Call Nelson, he can get you a 2 up from the factory. I just spoke top him about seats last week.

WB Cycles

There IS a part number difference between the two years, but it may just be that they started using the "new BDM logo" in 03 and that's on the seat. Both 02 and 03 solo seats are now available for the Pitbull.

badmedicine

mine was kinda doing the same thing when i bought it.
at light throttle it would start to studder and sneeze through
the breather, it was running lean on the intermediate jet.
i could open the throttle up when the main jet kicked it
it would quit

rhinoevans

I just changed my plugs and less then 300 miles and they are WAY black. Bike is running way to rich. Bike run great until the plugs get fouled!!! Just transfered the bike from SOuthern Indiana to LAS vegas and not knowing much about carbs I have a few questions.

1. Running rich? A function of jets or idle mixture adjustment?

2. This is the stupid question. Only was to tell what jets are in the bike is to pull them out right.

3. Looks like from some research on this sight, you can pull the bowl with out pulling the carb.

4. ANy qotchas on pulling the bowl to change the jets.

5. I have a 2002 Pitbull, V&H Big Shots with baffel and a K&N filter. ANy recommened jets fot this config and location (Las VEgas).

6. IS this easy to do or just take it to the local wrench?

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
I just changed my plugs and less then 300 miles and they are WAY black. Bike is running way to rich. Bike run great until the plugs get fouled!!! Just transfered the bike from SOuthern Indiana to LAS vegas and not knowing much about carbs I have a few questions.

1. Running rich? A function of jets or idle mixture adjustment?

2. This is the stupid question. Only was to tell what jets are in the bike is to pull them out right.

3. Looks like from some research on this sight, you can pull the bowl with out pulling the carb.

4. ANy qotchas on pulling the bowl to change the jets.

5. I have a 2002 Pitbull, V&H Big Shots with baffel and a K&N filter. ANy recommened jets fot this config and location (Las VEgas).

6. IS this easy to do or just take it to the local wrench?

How about you go out and drop the float bowl and tell us what jets are in the bike. You should be the 29.5/31 - 74/76 area. If they are larger than these then you can go from there but you need to know where you are at right now. Adjusting the fuel/air is only for idle. Accelerator pump is for starting and quick throttle motions.

:cheers: