Dyno run, 2004 Mastiff 107"

Twincam8888

I purchased my '04 Mastiff a few months ago and had a dyno run done recently during the HD dealers Bike Night. 118 torque, 115 HP. I don't know the engines history or details but i'm guessing it's not the EPA cam in there. :) dynorun.jpgdynorun.jpg

Last edited:

mleach72

I purchased my '04 Mastiff a few months ago and had a dyno run done recently during the HD dealers Bike Night. 118 torque, 115 HP. I don't know the engines history or details but i'm guessing it's not the EPA cam in there.View attachment 77054View attachment 77054
Yeah, I would say that you probably have a performance cam in there. Probably the S&S 600 or something comparable. The late closing intake valve causes the big dip in the midrange, but it really makes power in the high rpms.

mleach72

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only engines I knew that were EPA regulated were the 117 CI. And the 111CI in the 2009 Bagger. 2004 and older shouldn't have been regulated.
It's true the 107's didn't have to deal with epa emissions, but all vehicles have had to deal with noise regulations for a long time. That's why most stock exhausts aren't very good for making power, although I've heard the Kerker on the pre-05's was a decent exhaust. Performance cams can also increase noise levels. I'm not sure what the reasoning was, but some 107's came with the 600, and others came with the 520. The 520 was really bad, even worse than the epa cams in the 117's.

Mastiff Rider64

Supporting Member
Learn something new everyday...
It's true the 107's didn't have to deal with epa emissions, but all vehicles have had to deal with noise regulations for a long time. That's why most stock exhausts aren't very good for making power, although I've heard the Kerker on the pre-05's was a decent exhaust. Performance cams can also increase noise levels. I'm not sure what the reasoning was, but some 107's came with the 600, and others came with the 520. The 520 was really bad, even worse than the epa cams in the 117's.

Jersey James

Jersey James
Does anyone know what the decisive factor on which 107 got a 600 cam, while another received the 520??? Just curious, my 03 manual says that it has one or the other. Thanks. JJ

mleach72

Does anyone know what the decisive factor on which 107 got a 600 cam, while another received the 520??? Just curious, my 03 manual says that it has one or the other. Thanks. JJ
I don't know, but they should be easy to tell apart. The 600 should start really pulling above 4k rpms. The 520 has an early closing intake valve and nearly no overlap. It should have decent bottom end punch, but it shouldn't have much pull in the higher rpms.

mleach72

You could put your bike on a lift and pull the spark plugs. Collapse one of your pushrod covers and put it in gear. Rotate the tire and use a set of calipers to measure how far one of your nuts on the pushrod moves from fully seated to fully extended. Take that number times 1.6 and that will tell you what cam is in there.

Last edited:

Jersey James

Jersey James
Understood, I already know my 03 Pit, has the 600 cam. My question is, what was the deciding factor, of which motor received which can??? Was it random? What ever they had in stock, the day of the build? Or some model bikes got the 600 and others the 520? Or maybe what ever cam the engine builder grabbed off the shelf? Again, just curious...

Mastiff Rider64

Supporting Member
Understood, I already know my 03 Pit, has the 600 cam. My question is, what was the deciding factor, of which motor received which can??? Was it random? What ever they had in stock, the day of the build? Or some model bikes got the 600 and others the 520? Or maybe what ever cam the engine builder grabbed off the shelf? Again, just curious...
520 cam may have been California bikes? But could had a surplus and just shipped where ever bikes were needed? Just a thought or guess as to way there were different cams.

Butch Cassidy

You could put your bike on a lift and pull the spark plugs. Collapse one of your pushrod covers and put it in gear. Rotate the tire and use a set of calipers to measure how far one of your nuts on the pushrod moves from fully seated to fully extended. Take that number times 1.6 and that will tell you what cam is in there.
..yeah..... what he said ^^^