300mm Shinko Rear Tire

Sharkey62

I saw conversations about 300 Metzler888 being wider than 300mm. I have a Shinko 300mm that was put on at the dealer before I bought the bike. I noticed that the right side of the tire was close to the drive belt. I mean you can only slip a peice of paper between the tire and the belt and that's it. The dealer offered to install a spacer to increase the distance between the two but I opted out since the tire and the belt did not show any wear. I was also informed that the spacer would offset the Trans pulley and the belt pulley which would put more torque on the tranny. And I really don't want that. Any comment. And oh by the way I have put over 800 miles on it since mid July.

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
Hey Sharkey—If the tire and the belt don’t have signs of friction wear, I wouldn’t worry about it—assuming the tire is aligned correctly. In fact even if there was a tiny bit I wouldn’t worry about that either. A lot of guys have had minor issues with belt clearance. I’ve never used a Metzler, but apparently some used a sander on the ridge for belt clearance. I bought a Shinko tire before last when no Avons were available, and had no belt clearance issue.

Coolbreezin

I'm on my 4th Shinko. Love them! I've always had about a quarters thickness between the belt and tire. I would not recommend Avon unless they have fixed the splitting issue. I never had a Metzler on my chopper but loved them on my 900Ninja. Screenshot_20220330-133901_Facebook.jpg

Ridgebackvince

Supporting Member
The space between the tire and belt with a 300 mm rear tire is a few pieces of secretarial paper is normal leave it alone. I have a 2006 Ridgeback with a shinko rear too