2004 Chopper Clutch Cable

Energy One

REDDOG737

Hey guys, anyone out there know offhand what the length is for the 2004 chopper clutch cable? Also, is there a reasonable priced source for them? Thanks--------Reddog
PS--I found my cable adjuster was broken in the threaded area during replacement of the little flat bearing on the clutch pushrod. :bang:

dingo

First 50
Hey RD737,

I have a new Barnett Clutch Cable (BDM Part # 111-000003) which I bought for a project and did not use.

Measuring from end to end, the cable (not the housing) is 69 inches.

If you think it will work for you and want it, you can have it for $40.00 plus shipping - LMK.

Cheers,

dingo

REDDOG737

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, but I still don't know what the length is. If the 69" is the right length, I might buy it. RD

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Hey guys, thanks for the replies, but I still don't know what the length is. If the 69" is the right length, I might buy it. RD
Check out Nelsons website. He list all the clutch cables for each of our models. He has them in 60", 64 and 67 or 69. I just looked at them yesterday.

:cheers:

dingo

First 50
Interestingly, Nelson lists the Big Dog Motorcycles Clutch Cable Part BDM111-000003 as having a 64" Length and Fits the 2006 CHOPPER BUILT AFTER 1/26/06 and 2007 CHOPPER so this may not be right for your 2004, RedDog.

Stansa

Happy to say I can positively answer the mystery once and for all as to the length of the clutch cable for a 2004 Chopper. It's 65.5" from cable fitting shoulder to cable fitting shoulder. I removed and measured my stock cable. I have a 2004 BDM Chopper RT, 107 LHD. My measurement is the exposed length of the braided cable casing you would see upon inserting the end fittings into the clutch cover and into the clutch lever, and with the cable lengthening adjuster fully bottomed out to the shortest cable length. My measurement is NOT the end-to-end measurement of the wire cable ends as that would be longer. The eye connector on the end of my cable split open inside my clutch lever body thereby detaching the wire cable. Donna at HDM, Inc. shipped me a 67" cable that "The Rookie" said would work. Eric was absolutely correct. It works great! The cable I received from Donna measured 67" from shoulder to shoulder. Rather than following the stock cable path which is above the forward control I ran it beneath the forward control as advised in a post I read from Wildsteedworx. Running below the forward control gave a slightly larger and smoother bend radius. It hugs the bottom of the forward control frame studs and won't scrape pavement. My clutch cable operates smooth as glass, I think smoother than stock. Thank you Donna, Eric, and WSW Chris for the advice!