Won't start - Horn stuck on

Energy One
S

stilleating

'07 K9 with 3000 miles. No other issues til now. I have been away for about a month. I jump on the bike and turn the key on. Everything seems to cycle just fine, hit the starter, half crank and stop but the horn comes on and stays on. I turn off the key but the horn keeps blaring. Hit all the switches, turn the key on and off. Nothing happens. I had to unhook the battery for it to stop. Hooked the battery back up, turned the key on and the same exact thing happened. I'm leaving again so I don't even have time to deal with this #$%@. Just wanted to see if anyone else has heard of this one.

Imagine being gone, coming back and not even being able to ride!

'07 K9 with 3000 miles. No other issues til now. I have been away for about a month. I jump on the bike and turn the key on. Everything seems to cycle just fine, hit the starter, half crank and stop but the horn comes on and stays on. I turn off the key but the horn keeps blaring. Hit all the switches, turn the key on and off. Nothing happens. I had to unhook the battery for it to stop. Hooked the battery back up, turned the key on and the same exact thing happened. I'm leaving again so I don't even have time to deal with this #$%@. Just wanted to see if anyone else has heard of this one.

:yesnod: Sure!

But 1st, imagine this:

Imagine coming up to someones front door and "not" first introducing yourself, and start off by asking questions and requesting help from the others already there! :eek:......:D

Do an intro first brother, then we'll help with your issue! And "yes" we have heard of this problem. :2thumbs:

Intro - :2thumbs:

Then Help! - :2thumbs:

dead :cheers:

Little-Boo

Troop Supporter

Welcome :loony: to the site. Do you keep your bike on a battery tender ? If not you need to get one and keep in on a battery tender, especially if you leave for months at a time. I think your problem is that your battery is near dead especially if its more than a year old. Replace it or slow charge it and keep it on a tender that should get you going again.

Carlos :whoop:

S

stilleating

Sorry. I'm a first time poster here. I don't really know what to say.

Livin in Lenexa, KS. I've been riding most of my live with various bike. This is my first BigDog. If you can believe it, I was car shopping when I stumbled into the shop just to "look". My lady was with me and said why don't you just get another bike. The salesman nearly had a heart attack and asked what I was waiting for. Sold.

I don't have any mods done to the bike and have had no other problems with it. I rode it last time I was home with no issue. It's garaged and uncovered.

I love the bike and I visit the forum once in a while just to read up on the latest. I was involved in forums with my other bike and loved the dialogue back and forth. These are great places to find riders and talk about issues. I know there are guys that know a hell of a lot more about these bikes than I do.

I did a search for the issue with no results.

Sorry to make the first post a problem, but hopefully it will help someone else with the same issue.

Dimentia

stilleating there are a few of us here in KC also. Need to post some pics of the bike and lets hook up and do some riding!

S

stilleating

Thanks Carlos,

No, I don't have it on a tender. I had one but it looked like it was just like the trickle setting on my battery charger. I don't leave it on the bike but I usually hook it up when I get home after a long trip. I didn't this time of course. It seemed to cycle up just fine, but I guess maybe that doesn't mean it's charged. I'll stick it on the charger and see. Do the tenders automatically come on and off when the battery needs a charge or are they on all the time?

Mike

S

stilleating

I'm definately ready. I usually go up to the Outlaw Cigar party once a month which was this last weekend. That's why I jumped on the bike with my wife.

We're moving back to California as soon as our house sells here. Who knows how long that will be. I am already working in CA. So I have to travel back and forth to see my family. I can't even take the bike out there since there is no place to keep it.

I should have looked for local riders sooner but maybe we can hook up sometime.

Mike

S

stilleating

Well, I hooked up a battery charger at 2 amps. It only took 30 mins to show full. I turned the key, tried to start and whamo, the horn went off full blast and stayed on until I unhooked the battery. If anyone has heard of this problem, please let me know. I will be in and out to check the forum. I'm getting back on a plane to CA this afternoon.

Thanks,

Mike

Got laid last night so I am in a good mood :lol::lol:

Carlos :lol::roll::lol:
:2thumbs::cheers::D

Well, I hooked up a battery charger at 2 amps. It only took 30 mins to show full. I turned the key, tried to start and whamo, the horn went off full blast and stayed on until I unhooked the battery. If anyone has heard of this problem, please let me know. I will be in and out to check the forum. I'm getting back on a plane to CA this afternoon.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike, pull your battery out and take it and have it load tested. It shouldn't charge up real quick using a tender. After a week of none use, maybe 1 full day. After riding, maybe 5 minutes with a good battery.
So you can see why I'm thinking the battery.
or
if "not" the battery, check hand control horn switch for short.

S

stilleating

Thanks Dead,

I'll give it a shot. The weird part is how the horn keeps going after I turn off the key. I would think the power would be shut off to the horn.

I have left a couple of times for extended periods and come back to find the battery fine even though it wasn't on a tender. Maybe I screwed it up by doing that?

Mike

stlmikie

I wish I had more money.
Oh and to answer your question. The tender will shut off when the battery is charged. It will come back on when it gets a certain % low. The best purchace you could make besides a battery at this time.

BadBrad

2005 Pitbull
Bad/low batteries seem to cause the strangest shit to happen to these bikes. :eek: When you read something really strange, the first thing asked is generally about the condition of the battery. :cheers::whoop::cheers:

S

stilleating

Well, I didn't exactly confirm anything. I charged the battery fully and had it load tested. The guy says it's fully charged but under load it dropped charge quite a bit.

Unfortunately I had to get on a plane an hour later and won't be able to get back to the bike for at least 3 weeks. It appears that the battery could be the problem, but I won't actually know until I get back. I still say that horn deal is about the strangest thing I've had happen to any bike I've had.

Thanks for the help from you guys. I guess I'll let everyone know the result when I figure it out just in case anyone else experiences the same thing.

Mike

Thanks Dead,

I'll give it a shot. The weird part is how the horn keeps going after I turn off the key. I would think the power would be shut off to the horn.

I have left a couple of times for extended periods and come back to find the battery fine even though it wasn't on a tender. Maybe I screwed it up by doing that?

Mike
Your bike is possessed! If it isn't the battery and you don't find a short, take it to an exorcist!!!

Seriously though, I have never heard of this and I hope you get it fixed soon! Disconnect the horn in the meantime so you can ride! The bike should be loud enough as it is. I don't believe I've actually used my horn yet! :up:

S

stilleating

I know...it's freaky eh?

The problem is the bike won't start. It starts to engage and then the horn blares. That's why the battery seemed logical. Unfortunately, now i'm in CA and the bike is in KS. And yes, it's perfect riding conditions in CA. Sucks.

Don't feel bad, I heard that someone once came into a restaurant, during breakfast and ask a guy if that was his bike outside? The guy proudly replied "Yes"! Then he was told that he had better go turn it off or something because it was laying on it's side in the parking lot doing donuts! :eek::eek:
The biker ran outside and discovered that his bike was truly doing donuts on it's side. His brother yelled at him to turn the key off. Then the biker replied "The key is in my pocket"! :eek::eek:

Welcome to the world of BDM Electrical Systems, just gotta love them! :angry::angry::angry:

"When they are GONE! :roll::roll::roll: