Won't fire

Energy One

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
I got it going, but I thought I'd do a write up anyway, to show that you don't take anything for granted. And maybe help someone else.
Working on an 04 Chopper, which has a cam sensor, instead of the crank sensor, but other than that, diagnostic will be similar.
Had a 300 mile road trip planned today, and was going to meet up with several guys from SL. Stopped for gas, and when I went to start it up again, it back fired, then wouldn't start.
Pulled a spark plug wire, and checked for spark. nada. While I was waiting for a trailer, I started to think over all that I had done to the bike that might have contributed to this situation. New EHC, VR, clutch cable. Probably broke a wire messing with the harness.
Always start with the simple things when checking wiring problems. Pulled the cam cover off and checked the cam sensor. It checked out ok. Checked the wiring at the ignition module. Had all the lights on the EHC and ignition module were on like they were suppose to.
I ran into this same thing when I was buying the bike, and it turned out to be a broke wire, but I had power everywhere I was suppose to, and continuity of all the wires were good.
Only thing left was the coil. Pulled it off and it checked good. Continuity on the wires to it was good. Put a new coil on anyway. Still nothing. Swapped ignition module with another bike, still nothing. Called and asked the advice of someone else. Still nothing. Rechecked all the wires again. Still nothing. Rechecked cam sensor. Still tested good.
Now I'm pissed! Dug around and found another cam sensor, installed it, hit the start button, and it fired right up. Rechecked all the wires again, install original cam sensor. Nothing. Laid them on the bench side by side, and they both tested the same..
Put the new one back on, buttoned everything back up, and went for a 60 mile ride.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
I got it going, but I thought I'd do a write up anyway, to show that you don't take anything for granted. And maybe help someone else.
Working on an 04 Chopper, which has a cam sensor, instead of the crank sensor, but other than that, diagnostic will be similar.
Had a 300 mile road trip planned today, and was going to meet up with several guys from SL. Stopped for gas, and when I went to start it up again, it back fired, then wouldn't start.
Pulled a spark plug wire, and checked for spark. nada. While I was waiting for a trailer, I started to think over all that I had done to the bike that might have contributed to this situation. New EHC, VR, clutch cable. Probably broke a wire messing with the harness.
Always start with the simple things when checking wiring problems. Pulled the cam cover off and checked the cam sensor. It checked out ok. Checked the wiring at the ignition module. Had all the lights on the EHC and ignition module were on like they were suppose to.
I ran into this same thing when I was buying the bike, and it turned out to be a broke wire, but I had power everywhere I was suppose to, and continuity of all the wires were good.
Only thing left was the coil. Pulled it off and it checked good. Continuity on the wires to it was good. Put a new coil on anyway. Still nothing. Swapped ignition module with another bike, still nothing. Called and asked the advice of someone else. Still nothing. Rechecked all the wires again. Still nothing. Rechecked cam sensor. Still tested good.
Now I'm pissed! Dug around and found another cam sensor, installed it, hit the start button, and it fired right up. Rechecked all the wires again, install original cam sensor. Nothing. Laid them on the bench side by side, and they both tested the same..
Put the new one back on, buttoned everything back up, and went for a 60 mile ride.
How did you test the sensor?

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
I had one on the old blue bike do that...it checked fine also...i put it back on and it fired up...got me down the road around 20 or so miles cut out backfired and died...like what that hell up with this...trailered it home...soon as i got home it fired right back up...everytime that evening i would crank it it would fire up...i was like ok i ride it tomorrow and it died 4 miles down the road...while it was coasting i tried to refire and it fired....road it all the way to work another 15 miles and never missed a beat....got off work and nothing...got so damn pissed off and just went home in shop truck...came in to work the next morning and it fired up...road it home never missed a beat....next weekend went to ride and it died during warm up after around 2 mintues....pulled new one out of my toolbox and changed it out right quick and it fired up...changed it back to the original right fast and nothing...put new back on and its been on 9 years now...i dont think nothing aggravates me more than electrical....

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
I guess the big question that keeps bothering me is, what would cause a cam sensor to go bad. This one had less than 7000 miles on it. The one I installed was the original one I took out when I bought the bike.

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
For those that don't know how to test a cam sensor. Even though it didn't work this time.
IMG_20200503_130719.jpg

roadie1389

Actually the best way to test the Cam sensor is connect the red/black leads to 12V then a multi-meter (Voltage) to the green signal wire and get a screw driver and pass it through the sensor. If the multi-meter changes voltage its good, other wise trash it.

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
I guess the big question that keeps bothering me is, what would cause a cam sensor to go bad. This one had less than 7000 miles on it. The one I installed was the original one I took out when I bought the bike.
Only thing i can see to make one go bad is over heating in the nose cone cause exhaust heat...i mean i cant see anything else that would mess them but who knows

Mikeinjersey

Crank/Cam sensors are a great spare part to carry on a long road trip. Easy to carry and easy to replace. My guess is that at a very large percentage of members have had this failure. Myself included. And , of course intermittent failure makes this problem make you crazy!!