Vibration coming from tank.

Dlandbob

I was told this issue is common and to search here, how do I do a search or do I just have to look thru all the threads? I hear a really pad vibrating sound coming from maybe my tank or my gauges. It's enough to drive me crazy, don't say it's to late (I KNOW)! Five Five said I can take something out of my tank, anyone know what I need to do?

Thanks,
Bobby

mobsta

make sure your tank mounts are tight,if theres rubber bushings on the tank mounts make sure they are ok,check inside the tank to see if the vent tube broke off,check upper motor mount to make sure its tight and what ever you do dont pull the upper end of the motor like raywood did!:roll::roll::roll:

KnotSo

Admin
Staff member
Home Forums Gallery Donate User CP FAQ Community Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links Log Out

Click on SEARCH on the tool bar and type in your search, then click on enter, and start reading

I was told this issue is common and to search here, how do I do a search or do I just have to look thru all the threads? I hear a really pad vibrating sound coming from maybe my tank or my gauges. It's enough to drive me crazy, don't say it's to late (I KNOW)! Five Five said I can take something out of my tank, anyone know what I need to do?

Thanks,
Bobby
Hi DLan

Do you mean a rattling sound or you put your hand on the tank and feel a vibration. Kind of two different things.

If its a rattle you hear then its the overflow tube inside your tank. If the tube came loose at the gas bung then you can attempt to put a screw in it like Raywood did. If it broke at the bottom bung then you will need to pull your tank, remove the paint saver ring, hang the tank upside down, drill out the weld at the gas bung and pull the tube out of the tank. Has the over flow setup been removed ffrom the bottom of tank, small bung on right side of the tank with a tube connected to it ot a plug in it.
I just had to do the same thing on my K9 a month ago. No big deal just a pain in the ass.

Dlandbob

Thanks Kaptin. I meant I hear it, not feel it. I will get it takin care of today sometime. My son is off school because he broke his arm trying to be Evil Kenevil, how ever you spell it. I have a autograph picture of him hanging up to, can't see how he spells his name, it says happy landings and than his name.... Anyways, I have time so it looks like I need to go get dirty.

Thanks,
Bobby

Five Five

Hi DLan

Do you mean a rattling sound or you put your hand on the tank and feel a vibration. Kind of two different things.

If its a rattle you hear then its the overflow tube inside your tank. If the tube came loose at the gas bung then you can attempt to put a screw in it like Raywood did. If it broke at the bottom bung then you will need to pull your tank, remove the paint saver ring, hang the tank upside down, drill out the weld at the gas bung and pull the tube out of the tank. Has the over flow setup been removed ffrom the bottom of tank, small bung on right side of the tank with a tube connected to it ot a plug in it.
I just had to do the same thing on my K9 a month ago. No big deal just a pain in the ass.
Kaptan,
Glad you chimed in.... as I know you recently solved this issue on your scoot....I heard the noise on dland's bike and it's a rattle coming from the tank (vent tube) what was the fix on yours ?

"55"

Five Five

Thanks Kaptin. I meant I hear it, not feel it. I will get it takin care of today sometime. My son is off school because he broke his arm trying to be Evil Kenevil, how ever you spell it. I have a autograph picture of him hanging up to, can't see how he spells his name, it says happy landings and than his name.... Anyways, I have time so it looks like I need to go get dirty.

Thanks,
Bobby
Bob,
Hopefully I will have some time this weekend to ride over and lend you a hand.....but i want you to get started on it ...drain the tank and pull it (no smoking) get your flashlight and probing devices to determine if that vent tube is securely attached....call me if you have any questions...

"55"

PaulHart

My vent tube is loose too and been that way awhile. Just haven't got off my ass to fix it. I don't want to send it off if BDM is just going to secure the tube again. I want it out. Went on a ride today. Nice here in OKC 73 degrees. SOB was rattling everytime I got above 3500 rpm. Embarrassing.

Top1371

I ended up using a screw to secure the vent tube to the bung. It still rattles a little but not nearly as bad.

RideHarder

I fished my vent tube out with a 90 degree wrench...pulled it up through the fill hole...I wasn't able to push it back down in far enough to line it up with the old hole it used to be welded to...so I talked to a mechanic who told me to just put a short piece of fuel line over it and double the hose over and push it back down inside the tank...no big deal like...
In the mean time I left it poking up through the fill hole and the plastic part of the gas cap insulates it pretty well from the metal tank...NO NOISE! Also by leaving it like this I'll not risk over flowing the tank and having gas pour out the bottom of the tank...the cap is vented so that tube was redundant anyway....looks funny when I fill it up...but who sees that anyway?
Good luck

CND Dog

That was the case for me, tube was OK, rattled anyway, tank was slightly loose on the mount, that's all it took... Thanks for the help Mobsta!