Skunk works,

toadstool

BDM in Columbus, OH recently went belly up and Skunk Works is handling all the warranty issues. Has anyone ever dealt with them before? I dropped my bike off for some famous transmission issues and was scared to leave. The place was a disaster. The bikes being worked on were covered in an inch of dust leading me to believe I’d be lucky to get my bike back before summer rolls around.

Here is the scoop: I have searched the site and read a lot of great information on transmission issues, but has anyone had this specific problem. The bike was just serviced three weeks ago and has 3600 miles on it. While down shifting I am unable to shift into 3rd or below from 4th gear. I can step on the shifter and it is like stepping on air as the gear will not engage. Sometimes if I quickly up shift and then down shift I can engage third. Other times if I harshly stomp the shifter I can engage third. Once third is engaged, second and first fall into place without difficulty.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Sounds like a bent shift fork.

Your bike is new, take it to any dealer. Call BDM directly to help with where to go.

mcgroom

BDM in Columbus, OH recently went belly up and Skunk Works is handling all the warranty issues. Has anyone ever dealt with them before? I dropped my bike off for some famous transmission issues and was scared to leave. The place was a disaster. The bikes being worked on were covered in an inch of dust leading me to believe I’d be lucky to get my bike back before summer rolls around.QUOTE]

:roll:

Don't sweat it. Although I have never had any personal dealings with them, I do know that they have been around for years. They are one of the premier builders not only in the midwest but also in the industry and they do tons of work.

They are constantly showing up in magazines and have won many top awards for paint/design.

Your bike is in better hands than it would have been at Big Dog of Columbus.

I even have a buddy that bought some take off tins for his Road King that he is planning on dropping them off there for them to do some work.

Can't always judge a book by its cover.

toadstool

I fear that my original instincts were correct concerning the ability of Skunk Works to service a bike in a timely manner. For all the fellow owners in Ohio, you would be better off going to Akron and staying away from this place, unless you don’t mind letting your bike sit for weeks and weeks while the owner feeds you crap on a spoon. I am just trying to save someone else from a massive headache.

mcgroom

I fear that my original instincts were correct concerning the ability of Skunk Works to service a bike in a timely manner. For all the fellow owners in Ohio, you would be better off going to Akron and staying away from this place, unless you don’t mind letting your bike sit for weeks and weeks while the owner feeds you crap on a spoon. I am just trying to save someone else from a massive headache.
Thats sucks toad. I looked at my prior post and just wanted to assure you that they did quality work from what some buddies have experienced.

I am sorry to hear that they do not make your bike a higher priority.

Thanks for the info. Makes me glad my bike is older and can do the wrench myself since no warranty in place.

toadstool

Liberty is definitely the next place I will go for any future issues. This place is just now ordering parts and it has been over two weeks. I am not trying to turn this in to a bitch session, I just wanted to inform others.

mcgroom

Liberty is definitely the next place I will go for any future issues. This place is just now ordering parts and it has been over two weeks. I am not trying to turn this in to a bitch session, I just wanted to inform others.
Not trying to be a smartass and I have never had a bike at a dealer for service, but for you guys who have had to drop a bike off for repairs, is a couple of weeks during the riding season uncommon for shop to have a bike sit before getting it work in so that it can be looked at?

I sell small mowers up to large track hoes and it is easily 3 weeks wait while in season and 1 week when out before things can get worked in to be looked at.

Every situation is different and I am not trying to take away from yours. I just know that I learned years ago to under promise and over deliver. When I told someone it would be done in a week, that is exactly what they expected no matter what. So now if I think it will be done in a week, I ask for 2 weeks.

I am thinking they told she would be ready in a couple of weeks and that is what you were expecting. I know I would.

toadstool

While down shifting I am unable to shift into 3rd or below from 4th gear. I can step on the shifter and it is like stepping on air as the gear will not engage. Sometimes if I quickly up shift and then down shift I can engage third. Other times if I harshly stomp the shifter I can engage third. Once third is engaged, second and first fall into place without difficulty.
Survey says....... Cluch hub nut. Thats what the problem ended up being. I thought for sure that BDM would have addressed this issue, especially on the new bikes.