QUESTION

Energy One

BigMex

NMRIDER
I HAVE 550 MILES ON BIKE CAN'T GET BIKE FOR 500 MILE SERVICE THIS WEEK. AND HAVE A RALLY I'D LIKE TO GO TO. WAS WONDERING IF A 1000 PLUS MILES WOULD VOID THE WARRENTY.

BigMex

NMRIDER
I'M A MECHANIC JUST AN OTHER DIRTY JOB. JUST WASN'T SURE IF THAT FRONT END NEEDED TO COME APART OR IF I COULD WAIT FOR THAT. IT'S PART OF THE 500 MILE INSPECTION

CuDaMaN

Just curious........ What part of the 500 mile service involves taking apart the front end, and in what way? I'm not familiar with that part. I only have 300 miles on mine myself. Did one oil change at 100 miles and am ready to do my second at 300 miles. Then the 500 mile service comes next.

jimizee028

TRUE COLORS COLLISION
cudaman YOU BETTER START RIDING THAT BIKE...YOU SHOULD HAVE MANY MORE MILES THAN THAT...YOU SOUND LIKE THE LITTLE OLE LADY WHO ONLY DROVE TO CHURCH STORY.....GET TO RIDING......

CuDaMaN

I know, I know, I know.......SHHHHH........."hides his face in shame"..........
Just so parinoid about not doin the break-in period correctly. If something bad's gonna happen, it'll happen to me...... I've just learned to accept it....
The new ignition switch seemed to make a big difference. Bike purrs like a kitten now and I am much more confident she won't die on me.
Did make it out to the Woodstock Inn over the weekend.
http://http://www.woodstockinn.net/
Biker bar with plenty of events including burn out pit....
Don't want to hijack the thread, so do you know what BigMex is refering to about the 500 mile service??
G

jimizee028

TRUE COLORS COLLISION
500 miles i believe is just fluids some light lubrication of cables maybe and alot of visual inspection,should have the details in the little book you got with your bike,but was never under the impression at anytime of any of the services,that they took apart your front end,now it says at a certain amount of miles they SUGGEST forks getting new oil and maybe bearings being replaced,but they dont just automatically do it..........unless you want them to...i was allways under the impression that this is why GOD makes it cold during the winter so we can do the maintenance on our shit......as for you BIG MEX i would do the service myself since you are capable,i have never taken my shit to a dealer so i can be charged $400 for fluid changes......

Marco Polo

Newbie DELUXE
The question was if it would void his warranty though. If you changed the fluids yourself you'd be fine of course to hit the rally but BDM wouldn't have your 500 mile download and be able to verify that an authorized 500 mi maint was done. I personally would bet that you'd still be fine with warranty though if it ever came up if you could provide receipts since that's all they ask on every other maintenance other then the 500 mi. I'm with Jimizee though, if I was a mechanic with a shop and those type of skills the dealer would never see my bike for maintenance.

jimizee028

TRUE COLORS COLLISION
like i said i never took mine for any service work and i have gotten a new speedo,starter,ignition module ,voltage regulator and a new EHC on order,all through warranty,and i have never even had my shit downloaded from the bike and on file with BIG DOG

BigMex

NMRIDER
THE REASON WHY I ASKED THE DEALER TOLD ME THE THE FRONT END BEARINGS NEEDED TO BE REPACK AND INSPECTED I HAVE NEVER HAD TO DO THIS BEFORE UNLESS THERE WAS A PROBLEM YOU GUY ARE THE EXPERTS THOUGHT I"D ASK

CAVAZOS, NOT THIS WEEKEND NEXT PS SOME OF US HAVE TO WORK AND THEN RIDE

CuDaMaN

I e-mailed Big Dog with a very similar question, and thier responce to me (to the best of my recolection) was....

Greg,
Seeing that your paying for it, you may take your bike to any qualified service center that you choose for the 500 mile service. Make sure you take your manual with you so they know all what is to be done. The reason for bringing it into an "Authorised Dealer" for this service is that they will have the proprietary cables to perform a diognostic on your bike. An equally qualified service center will not have these cables to perform this service. We would recomend that even after your 500 mile service, at your ealiest convenience, you should have the diognostic service performed at an Authorised Dealer.

Basically I think they just want to make sure you stay within recomended RPM range on break-in. I think if you stay over the 3000 RPM mark for a substantial amount of time, it voids the warranty. Just my best guess.....

G

BigMex

NMRIDER
JIMIZEE028, THATS GOOD TO KNOW THEY WILL NEVER SEE MINE UNLESS ECH, STATER,VOLTAGE REULATOR ECT. GO BAD

The question was if it would void his warranty though. If you changed the fluids yourself you'd be fine of course to hit the rally but BDM wouldn't have your 500 mile download and be able to verify that an authorized 500 mi maint was done. I personally would bet that you'd still be fine with warranty though if it ever came up if you could provide receipts since that's all they ask on every other maintenance other then the 500 mi. I'm with Jimizee though, if I was a mechanic with a shop and those type of skills the dealer would never see my bike for maintenance.
You Do Not Void Your warranty, Save your receipts for the Oils, Filter Etc. Stay within the torque Specs. It's a 20 Minute Job at best. Check your Motor Mounts to ensure their tight. depending on who you talk to, these motors are not even broken in until 3k, Personally, I think 500 is a wasted Service, but do it anyway so they can't claim you didn't follow the recommended service intervals should something blow up.