New ECH for the Bagger

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
This bike is the one I bought as a new bike..29 miles...a never titled 2010 BD Bagger. Got it a year ago in December, and it's now a bit over 13,000 miles. When I first got it, the fuel pump kinda growled a bit instead of purring, so I rebuilt it immediately with a kit from Wichita Big Dog. No issues at all except for noisy tappets, and after adjusting them 5 or 6 times, I have re-structured my feelings about tappet noise, and have come to accept it as part of the beast. Another membe's sound advice was to get a louder exhaust so you won't hear them. Maybe next year.
The EHC began to misbehave in cooler weather. At about 45 degrees or lower, I'd turn the key, and nothing!! Zip...nada. But I remembered reading something about that online, so I got a hair dryer and extension cord, warmed it up for 45 seconds or so, and bang! it lights up and away we go. Chris from BDM and a couple of forum members insisted I was dancing pretty close to the flame and sooner or later would wind up high and dry someday in someplace like Rachel, NV, with a dead EHC and no replacement EHC, no tools, and wondrous expenses for towing, overnight express mailing, $100+/hr mechanics fees, and housing for a few days, etc.
So I decided to replace it. After looking at all of the best options, (RIP, Axel's , and D O C's ), I decided to go with D O C's (Deadone's). In my opinion, it was the best option for my circumstances. I am confident all three are very good products with honest and conscientious support to back them up.
This EHC will run my fuelie, and it also does not result in a slight glow of the low fuel light and the check engine light. And I know what Jeff will do for customer support.
Anyone who thinks they can make a device that's foolproof to install and wants to give it a good test should call me...I'm their boy!! But this went very well.
I noticed a member posted about his install of Deadone's EHC, and he said the he originally intended to post how-to videos, but after doing it, decided that was unnecessary. I second that. Dead's product is impressive in quality and detail....the fit and finish is very good. I have known and done business with Jeff for over seven years, and have found him to be honest, reliable, and absolutely stand-up. True story: I called him he time from the road (CO or NM), forgot it was 10:00 at night for him. Not only did he answer his phone, but helped me think through my mechanical 'crisis'. But he did ask me to wait until tomorrow for any more calls....haha.
The EHC arrived with detailed schematics and instructions, and the wire bundles have alphabetic letters on them matching the schematic. He has to be OCD because the even the Individual wires are exactly colored to match the wires in the connectors on the bike. Probably the hardest thing for Blacktopper and me was prying the damn fuel tank off, and of course draining it...not fun with a fuelie. I also took the opportunity to put dielectric grease (light coat) on all connections, and shrink-wrap them to help keep water out. It was kind of tricky to put all the wires back where they came from, but I took some pictures, so that helped.
The first pic is before, the second is after, and the third is a solo seat I found that fit the Bagger pretty well.
Now ready to roll with no future electrical gremlins (I hope). Tomorrow Is work, but the day after will be 60 or so, and we'll be on the road all afternoon for a tryout.image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:

KnotSo

Admin
Staff member
My first thought was you were selling the bagger because of an issue, got kinda excited, however good to hear it all worked out...

:chopper::chopper:

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
Update--since Allah decided to give us a 60 degree day today, Blacktopper and I took off and rode about 100 miles on a lunch jaunt to a pretty good Mexican restaurant we know....
Also a good field trial for the Bagger to see if the new EHC is going to behave itself.
All good....the Bagger ran like a top, the ride was fine, and the food was good, too.
Life is good.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
This bike is the one I bought as a new bike..29 miles...a never titled 2010 BD Bagger. Got it a year ago in December, and it's now a bit over 13,000 miles. When I first got it, the fuel pump kinda growled a bit instead of purring, so I rebuilt it immediately with a kit from Wichita Big Dog. No issues at all except for noisy tappets, and after adjusting them 5 or 6 times, I have re-structured my feelings about tappet noise, and have come to accept it as part of the beast. Another membe's sound advice was to get a louder exhaust so you won't hear them. Maybe next year.
The EHC began to misbehave in cooler weather. At about 45 degrees or lower, I'd turn the key, and nothing!! Zip...nada. But I remembered reading something about that online, so I got a hair dryer and extension cord, warmed it up for 45 seconds or so, and bang! it lights up and away we go. Chris from BDM and a couple of forum members insisted I was dancing pretty close to the flame and sooner or later would wind up high and dry someday in someplace like Rachel, NV, with a dead EHC and no replacement EHC, no tools, and wondrous expenses for towing, overnight express mailing, $100+/hr mechanics fees, and housing for a few days, etc.
So I decided to replace it. After looking at all of the best options, (RIP, Axel's , and D O C's ), I decided to go with D O C's (Deadone's). In my opinion, it was the best option for my circumstances. I am confident all three are very good products with honest and conscientious support to back them up.
This EHC will run my fuelie, and it also does not result in a slight glow of the low fuel light and the check engine light. And I know what Jeff will do for customer support.
Anyone who thinks they can make a device that's foolproof to install and wants to give it a good test should call me...I'm their boy!! But this went very well.
I noticed a member posted about his install of Deadone's EHC, and he said the he originally intended to post how-to videos, but after doing it, decided that was unnecessary. I second that. Dead's product is impressive in quality and detail....the fit and finish is very good. I have known and done business with Jeff for over seven years, and have found him to be honest, reliable, and absolutely stand-up. True story: I called him he time from the road (CO or NM), forgot it was 10:00 at night for him. Not only did he answer his phone, but helped me think through my mechanical 'crisis'. But he did ask me to wait until tomorrow for any more calls....haha.
The EHC arrived with detailed schematics and instructions, and the wire bundles have alphabetic letters on them matching the schematic. He has to be OCD because the even the Individual wires are exactly colored to match the wires in the connectors on the bike. Probably the hardest thing for Blacktopper and me was prying the damn fuel tank off, and of course draining it...not fun with a fuelie. I also took the opportunity to put dielectric grease (light coat) on all connections, and shrink-wrap them to help keep water out. It was kind of tricky to put all the wires back where they came from, but I took some pictures, so that helped.
The first pic is before, the second is after, and the third is a solo seat I found that fit the Bagger pretty well.
Now ready to roll with no future electrical gremlins (I hope). Tomorrow Is work, but the day after will be 60 or so, and we'll be on the road all afternoon for a tryout.View attachment 52734 View attachment 52735View attachment 52736
Oh Rick that's an interesting down tube on the baggers its square not round.

Glad it went together spot on. Interesting you said the colors matched on his kit because the ESC I bought last year for my 04 Rigid the colors didn't all match for the hand controls. Wasn't a huge deal though.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
Oh Rick that's an interesting down tube on the baggers its square not round.

Glad it went together spot on. Interesting you said the colors matched on his kit because the ESC I bought last year for my 04 Rigid the colors didn't all match for the hand controls. Wasn't a huge deal though.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk[/QUOTEimage.jpeg Here's a pic of the ECH in the box when I opened it. The instructions are beyond thorough, and easily followed. You can see the letters on the wire bundles...and again, the wires themselves have colors that match the wires you connect to. I bought some extra shrink wrap sleeves and shrink-wrapped every connection. It only takes seconds and is almost a guarantee you'll keep the water out. I recommend using a heat gun because it uniformly shrinks the tubes.
D O C's EHC is truly plug and play, and if I can do the install, it is really foolproof. The worst part is bundling the wires back up and getting everything packed away.

Mastiff Rider64

Supporting Member
Now ready to roll with no future electrical gremlins (I hope). Tomorrow Is work, but the day after will be 60 or so, and we'll be on the road all afternoon for a tryout.View attachment 52734 View attachment 52735View attachment 52736
ok I have just one question, HOW THE HELL DOES THE GAS TANK ON THE BAGGER COME OFF????? I was working on mine the other day installing a stereo system and couldn't figure that tank out for nothing. keep in mind I did not have the service manual either.

awg

Guru
I don't know the answer to that, but it's the first time I have seen a square down tube. Or backbone. Whatever you call it.

Cruz Dog

I’m interested in seeing how tank comes off I need to take mine off. I been lookin for a manual for the Bagger does anyone have one?

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
Removing the tank requires care. First you have to drain the fuel out of the tank. You’d think that all you have to do is undo the supply hose and drain it—nope. All baggers are EFI and as such, the fuel pump is how fuel gets out of the tank and when you unhook the hose no fuel comes out because the pump is not fired up.
So we went to the crossover hose that connects the two sides of the tank. It is underneath and forward on the tank and easily seen from underneath. We have had the tank off a couple of times and made a fuel mess every time. We took needle-nose vice grips and pinched the crossover hose shut, then simply cut the hose in the middle and drained each side separately. Used a funnel/hose into a five gallon fuel jug. Messy but fast.
You’d think the fuel pump would drain the tank, but it only runs a few seconds to initialize fuel pressure, and the engine won’t run without about 60 psi, so you can’t run it and drain it at the same time. You might be able to reverse pump or siphon the fuel out too-I didn’t try that, but might if I had to do it again.
Make sure the area is ventilated and you have hoses, funnels, containers etc to drain the fuel into. We used a large tray like bakers use to catch any excess dripping fuel. Wear old clothes and be sure to be safe because some fuel will get spilled.
Tank Removal:
I can’t remember how the bolts hold the tank onto the frame underneath—but they are apparent. Locate and remove them.To get the tank off, Roger and I wrapped a pry bar (about 2 feet) in a towel and lifted the rear of tank. The tank is supported on the square backbone. Look at the second image above and you’ll see rubber spacers towards the front. The tank fits tightly on these. Once you get it to move, it will loosen up some and as I recall you have to lift the tank up and forward (watch the paint) for the rear to lift far enough to remove it.
The whole time you have to be careful not to chip or scratch paint, as you have to jockey the tank around a bit to get it off. Just take your time and be careful. Not a bad idea to cover the paint with blue tape.
As long as it was apart, we rebuilt the fuel pump (called BDM in Wichita and got a rebuild kit), and replaced the in-tank fuel filter too:
Fuel Pump: WALBRO #F20000107
Regulator: WALBRO #135-22
In-tank Sock Filter: S&S #19-0458
1 WLB 125 192 FILTER-INTANK 13.99 (Walbro)
Bought them from http://www.baileysonline.com/
If you call anyone else for that filter, you’ll understand why I called Bailey’s.
Thoughts:
After you drain the tank, some fuel will remain in the rear of the tank (by the seat) due to its shape.
When you reassemble it, be sure to have a replacement hose for the crossover that was cut. Inspect the supply line or maybe upgrade to woven steel. Keep the line about the same length as OEM. I know a guy who pulled one too hard and bent the inside hose and blocked the fuel supply.
Be sure all hoses and connections are secure, as the pump immediately goes to 60 psi—any tiny leak will spurt fuel a long ways——ask me how I know about that (lol).
To drain the fuel tank, a reverse pump or siphon would take longer but be safer. You cannot get the tank off without removing the crossover hose, so simply leaving the fuel in the tank os not an option either.
There is a Schrader valve visible on the fuel pump— you can use it to check the psi of the pump (I think specs are 59-61 psi). The bike won’t start if psi is low.
I suspect that fuel filter would apply to all BDM EFI bikes—but be sure to check before purchasing. To change the filter you have to remove the fuel pump.

cdogg556

Guru
Glad you went with Jeff's ESC, I have said it many times before, quality product and great customer service, I have over 13,000 worry free miles on mine and couldn't be happier , definitely the best thing I've done to the bike.