Help installing new front brakes

Energy One

Black Rider

Anyone know of a good how to with pics? I have been searching all over this site. Going to Nettuno Italy tomorrow morning with a group of bikers to visit the Veterans Cemetery and lay flowers. Last minute decision on my part. Any one can help a desperate vet so I can go pay my respects to my fallen brothers!!!!!
:flag::flag::flag::flag:
Oh an Happy Veterans Day all!!!

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Just the pads? Pull the cotter pin and remove the old pads and replace with new pads then put cotter pin back in. Couldn't be much easier! :)

Enjoy the ride

RRRUFF

Pay attention to any shims and their location if any are in there and put a little blue medium strength on the bolts when you put it back together. Torque 22 to 25 ft/lbs.

BigDogBro1

Made in the USA
If you are replacing the PADS only then follow Raywoods info.

If you need to remove the brake caliper from the mount then follow RRRUFFs info as well.

Black Rider

I saw one on eBay a few months ago but I was outbid while sleeping!
Just got back from Rome to lay flowers at the American cemetery for those who died here in wars. Awesome trip. Except my front brakes did not work unless I pumped the lever. Scared me. Is this maybe a fluid issue? Trying a mechanic tomorrow.

Black Rider

I saw one on eBay a few months ago but I was outbid while sleeping!
Just got back from Rome to lay flowers at the American cemetery for those who died here in wars. Awesome trip. Except my front brakes did not work unless I pumped the lever. Scared me. Is this maybe a fluid issue? Trying a mechanic tomorrow.

07bigdog

07BIGDOG
BDM Performance Products has manuals for sale today for $111. To get the cotter pin out you have to keep turning it while you pull on it. It is fairly tight.

Nomad2day

Longhair Redneck Geek
Cotter pin is just behind the pad. Rotate the pin so you can bend the shanks straight and pull it out so you can remove the pin.
Check the brake fluid level in the reservoir on your right handlebar by your brake lever. It may be low or will need to be checked when you do your pads anyway.
Neil

Black Rider

Thanks so much guys. I will try that. Also just went to the site. How detailed are these service manuals? Are there pictures also? Is it worth the money?

stryfox

sounds like you need to bleed it.
step one pull pin,
step two install new pads,
step there bleed and top off with dot 5.
All simple things once you have done it once on any car or bike.
If you are unclear ask a friend to babysit you while you do it.