Hard shift to 1st gear

Pddain

PHTM II
Supporting Member
Ok, finished the 500 mile break-in yesterday. Bike is down for the oil change, new gaskets, replacement of the shift fork if necessary, re-jet the carb to reduce decel popping and generally make sure everything is tight. Rode the last 150 mikes yesterday to muscle shoals and back to Iron Horse Cycles in Decatur.

We will pull the shift forks and verify whether they are true or bent. Will let you know what we find. My sissy bar is being chromes and my cross powder coated. I will have it in about three weeks. If all goes well, will make the farm in May to meet a few people.

Pddain

PHTM II
Supporting Member
I posted this on my 06 Mastiff thread as well

Well who ever worked on the bike before me stripped the 5/16th bolt mounting the rear cover for the primary and rammed a 3/8th in to just hold it together. It looks like a bolt backed out and scored a number of surfaces so they stuck the bigger bolt in. I got lucky as this could have locked up at speed and put me in a skid. The hole and surface around it are trashed. It looks like they used a hammer. Pulling the plate and having it built back up. Putting new bearings in the transmission as something is grinding but haven’t found it yet. Shift forks have been riding on 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears but scoring is minimal. May be a spacing issue. It looks like I am down for a while. The saga continues.

American Classic motors told me they replaced a shift fork. Either they did the damage or they ignored it. Either way they sold me a bike with a transmission that was dangerous as there is no way they could have missed any of the issues. Too bad. Thought they were credible. Rebuilding it along with the rest of the bike.

rpols7

I had a similar issue on a DSSC trans I had to rebuild, the mainshaft walk over about 1/4-3/8". Once it was pulled back everything was good.

Pddain

PHTM II
Supporting Member
Thanks, we are rebuilding the whole thing. Stripped mounting bolt on the inner plate, shift forks rubbing on the gears, scoring on the wheel. Looks like the mounting bolt for the inner plate ( sorry for the lack of terminology) backed out, was stripped so they forced a 3/8” bolt in its place. Lots of damage. Having the hole welded and re-tapped. This is a mess. Will be in the shop another few weeks. A year long project to re-build the bike. Hoping to make the farm in Sept.

Pddain

PHTM II
Supporting Member
Ok, we have completed the rebuild. New gears, welded the rear primary cover and created a new bolt hole, new shift forks. Iron Horse cycles in Decatur Al. Pressed the new gears in place, replaced the shift forks so avoided buying a new stack. Looking to start riding in a couple of weeks. Wish me luck. Hopefully we don’t find anything else

1626395222992.jpeg

rpols7

Ok, we have completed the rebuild. New gears, welded the rear primary cover and created a new bolt hole, new shift forks. Iron Horse cycles in Decatur Al. Pressed the new gears in place, replaced the shift forks so avoided buying a new stack. Looking to start riding in a couple of weeks. Wish me luck. Hopefully we don’t find anything else

View attachment 88358
Best of luck. Looks like they did a good job. Let us know how you make out once installed. What oil are you going to run? Spectro 6 speed?