Gas cap sticking and stuck ?

It seems that my gas cap sticks or gets stuck. It is not cross threaded. Someone told me and I beleive it is the 10% enthanol mixed in the gas swelling the plastic threads. I want to replace the old cap with a all billet unit. The tank does have a paint saver screwed into the tank bung. The cap is a right side vented unit correct ? I would like to put in a billet pop-up unit, do I have to remove the paint saver cover to install one? Any ideas ?

Monte Motorcycle

bdmridgeback

Low Down Chop Shop
Nope, BDM is having issues with the plastic swelling and eventually they do not come unscrewed.

The only way to do a pop up is by removing the paint saver. Some bikes they will come out, some they will not without screwing up the paint. They are epoxied in.

I have some all billet vented gas caps on my website if your interested. I am low on stock but more coming in soon.

Eric

Banned
just go ahead & get the new cap from jake (bdmridgeback) thay are great, through that stocker away....

I also had the plastic treaded gas cap. they swell over time and get hard to unscrew and screw in. I replace mine with one from Lowdownchop shop. If you want a differnet style of gas cap like the ones for a harley you will have to remove the paint saver ring.
Here is one of the gas caps lowdownchop sells that is a direct replacement

It is a common problem with the plastic treaded caps

bdmridgeback

Low Down Chop Shop
Don't feel bad!

I learning something new again! :crazy: :lol::lol::lol:

Mine is plastic, doesn't give me any troubles.

Maybe it will one day, who knows! :loony::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry Monte!

You have to put gas in it in order for the gas cap to give you problems!!! :roll::roll::roll:

ChopperJeff

On some occasions I've had the gas cap stick to the point where I had to use a large pair of pliers to grab it and get it loose. I know it wasn't cross-threading as it would go on relatively easy, but then would not come off.

For some reason this is what has worked for me:
While screwing the damn thing on, keep pressing downward on it. Not real hard though. The cap tends to screw in easier, and since I've been doing this, I haven't had a stuck cap since.

Can't say this will work for others, but it's worth a shot.

MN K9

Mine gets a little stiff to turn once in a while. I've always tried to not run the ethanol crap in my K9. I ran a bunch of it thru while I was in SD just because it was hard to find a station that didn't have it.

BBChopper

Supports 2 Disabled Vets
Troop Supporter
If it’s not the fucking Ethanol then Oboma has put something in the gas cause mine was fine until February!!!:angry:

Last edited:

chili08k9

I will buy the 1st round
Hey Dude, I have the market on the gas cap issue, Big Dog repainted my tank 3 times, and my painter had to do it the last time. Big Dog did offer to do it again and offered me any and all help (just short of a new tank which would have been nice) My 08 K-9 EFI had the same problems the tank is not venting correctly, if you ride one full tank out and stop for gas me and my friends could not open it for about 12 min. by that time it had vented enough to release and I could refill. I found if you add a second oring to the cap or If you unscrew and reinstall it about halfway into the tank you should be OK. If you choose to remove the paint saver "DO NOT WAST YOUR TIME WITH THE LANDMARK TOOL" YOU WILL ONLY SCRATCH YOUR PAINT. The saver is put in with JB-Weld and you have to heat it up with a heat gun then while its hot use a very large easy out (cost $21.49) to unscrew it easily. (Problem is that the JB-Weld turns back to liquid at 640 degree Fahrenheit, Gas flash point is about 475) you only need to heat it enough to loosen it. After you get the saver out you will have the rings of JB-Weld left in the hole dont try to chip or grind it out just use the heat gun again to heat it a little and remove it. then you can put any cap you want in or do like I did and use the Kuryadkn 8903 flush cap and paint saver. It really looks killer..and it seals so much better that the landmark paint saver......Now this is only my 2 Cent's

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Here's a how to, to keep it from sticking.

1. find a hooker
2. punch her in the eye
3. grab her purse
4. get her vaseline
5. Rub some on the plastic threads

Fixed.

Fibersnake

Banjo Playing PsychoBilly
Well I had mine sticking and it became worse over the years. What I did was take the cap and very carefully took the plastic threads to a wire brush on a bench grinder and gave them a little shave. Has worked much better since and no sticking.

If one was to try (and I do not recommend such but it worked for me) one has to be very careful and patient for the threads can heat up and melt has well as get all hosed up.

One of these days will replace with something better but for now mine are working fine.

I do thing that the more and more common addition of ethonol does have something to due with them swelling.

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
I've only noticed mine getting tight when it's bee sitting in the hot sun. Don't have the problem with the aluminum cap though!

:cheers:

Cobrafast1

Mine sticks too. What is the website address for these replacment caps?

I tried lithium grease on mine and it helps a bit and I don't screw it down tight. I'd love a new cap.

Do the replacments fit with the paint saver ring on there?

I want a new one.