Fuel

nine lives

I have a service station about 15 miles from my home that sells 100% gas. The first thing I noticed about this fuel was the smell. Some of us motor heads kinda liked the smell of real fuel, can't stand the smell of this ethanol based fuel.

The other thing I noticed about the 100% is that it has an oily residue probably much better for top end lubrication. Another thing worth noting, during my first fill up is that I mistakenly filled up with 87 octane:spank: Drove the cycle about 50 miles not one bit of pingging::up: I have since drained that fuel and repalced with the 100% 93 octane. I'll use the rest of the 87 for chain saws and lawn equipment. The 100% is much better for the small 2 stroke engines.

Check on line, maybe you too have a gas station near you that sells 100% gas:2thumbs:

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
I found it interesting that there was no Ethanol free pumps in the DFW area. Then I found the below: :bang:

The summer formulation gasoline in the Metroplex is required by the EPA to contain ethanol because it burns much more cleanly than 100% formulation. It is a method of reducing the pollution within the d/fw area. It also boosts the octane rating a bit.
Looks like its a hike to find any of the good stuff anywhere close to me.

aspen874

Would 100 low lead aviation fuel hurt or help our engines, has anyone used it or have any thoughts

outdoorsman26

I use 110 race fuel in my chain saw, weed eater, power auger, snowblower, and sometimes the dog my saw runs 36deg cooler with 110 than running it with 87, and there is more power!!! running 110 in the dog I have to richen it up a lil,

nine lives

We do and its usually about .75 cents higher a gallon.
Ker, If you go about 30 miles east it's 30 cents more here:Hassler's Notary & Automotive
3200 Conrad Weiser Parkway
Womelsdorf, PA 19567
At the intersections of routes 422 & 419.

I have also ran the 110 in my race bikes, but in my view your just wasting your money unless your racing.

Jersey James

Jersey James
We have a local fuel stop, that sells premium ethanol free gas. Problem she dramatically raised the price .45 - .50 per gallon, and the octane level dropped from 93 to 91. One of those deals, the owner had lots more bikers topping off there (word of mouth) & got greedy. Now, I hardly see any bikes topping off there.

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
I now keep a bottle of Lucas Safeguard™ Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers around just in case I can't get ethanol free. I would be interested in any info on long term experience with this or even the Sta-bil.

nine lives

I now keep a bottle of Lucas Safeguard™ Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers around just in case I can't get ethanol free. I would be interested in any info on long term experience with this or even the Sta-bil.
I also keep Lucas Safeguard in a 5 hour energy container for the same reason.

Also use a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil on occasion. Fist time I used the oil, I
noticed my petcock opened and closed smoother.

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member

Thanks,

Good info and I'll try and remember not to drink it. Never thought about using a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil - Have some sitting on the bench so I might have a go at it.:D

Huw

armad

I have been using Stabil and Marvel Mystery Oil for years in all my V-twins and small engines. Haven't had any gum up or moisture issues. I use both over the winter when the bikes are in storage and they start right up in the spring with no problem.

Fibersnake

Banjo Playing PsychoBilly
Ususal just fill up with the 93 at the regular pumps even though it does contain in general 10% ethanol in my area. Never an issue with the running of the Dog. When sitting up for a while (due to travel of work) add a little Sta-bil fuel stabilizer and never had an issue with any of the bikes. If it has been a while since I rode, (when like when I come back home after a few months away) just do a good pre-ride check and then get out and ride the sucker enough to have to fillup with a fresh tank.

Try to use the highest grade the station has, but have ran less and even on the odd ball occasion 87 with no issues. Then again with exception of pipes, cam (S&S 600), pretty much stock and it runs fine.

Have to agree with others and what I was taught, on octane no need to go higher than required unless it shows pinging! But to each their own. In general 93 is more than enough for most situation and bikes.

STROKER

:hi: hi guys, i work at an airport, and i run 100LL all the time in my dog. it loves it!! no problems what so ever.also run it in my riding mower and weed eater. i do the 'sumping' of all the fuel trucks, so when the barrels get full i pump off the top part of the barrel. hell i have a 55 gal barrel full now. whats really nice is the fuel never goes bad. practically unlimited 'shelf-life'.:D:D