Does your big dog fit in a motorcycle parking spot?

Energy One

Matheny 514

In most places around the Auburn area there are specific motorcycle parking spaces. Even at my company there is a specific concrete slab designated for motorcycles that’s right beside the front door.

As far as how much room mine takes up, 2005 Ridgeback, and it definitely takes an entire motorcycle space and more with the length. I don’t like the other riders getting to close to my bike so I have it known where I work not to park directly beside me. We have way more spaces than motorcycles so we all respect each other’s space and usually give a space in between each bike.

As far as a car space, my Ridgeback parks in the middle of a car space and my wife’s bike parks behind mine in line so we have a good distance between cars.

Matheny 514

These are the typical available parking areas where I'm at. I take it the Ridgeback wouldn't fit in this unless at a 45degree angle?
Not to say that it wouldn’t fit but to be honest, I would not feel the most comfortable with the front end of my bike sticking out. If I’m not mistaken, the 05 Ridgeback is approximately 9 feet long. I would consider parking at a slight angle towards a 45 Degree angle if not just parking somewhere else.

No H2O

Not to say that it wouldn’t fit but to be honest, I would not feel the most comfortable with the front end of my bike sticking out.
Parking between cars assumes the front end isn't sticking out. In DC that front wheel would be hit in no time.
The 9' overall length can be cut down somewhat by backing up all the way to the curb, that would save about 4" and then turning the front wheel would save another 4-6". My measurements on the Ridgeback indicate it would need to be at a 45degree angle and the only thing that that means is that from Boxer (clean in perpendicular to curb) to K-9 (full 45degree angle) you just need to find a larger space so you are less likely to be able to park closer to your destination.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
These are the typical available parking areas where I'm at. I take it the Ridgeback wouldn't fit in this unless at a 45degree angle?
I don't know where you go...but I wouldn't put my bike there I don't care WTF is going on I'll go somewhere else cause you have to angle it or it would stick out and not to mention one of those asshats will knock it over pulling out. Rather just go home I don't really like people anyways.. Haha

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Matheny 514

Parking between cars assumes the front end isn't sticking out. In DC that front wheel would be hit in no time.
I can only speak for my area as every area is different. This is a college city with very tight parking spaces. And parallel spaces being small and close to the side/curb in town especially near the college. Backing up to the curb here would not help much. And the cars would be very close. Finding a different space would be better in that situation. My bike does not see those spaces. I don’t trust all the “green” traffic and drivers.

Big D Florida

Troop Supporter
Have y'all ever seen guys that handle bikes a lot stop, get off, walk up front, grab it by the horns (bars), and back it in by hand?
Ran into a group of fellers from up the coast that put on several impressive displays on Main Street... parking in front of Dirty Harry's, during Bike Week this year.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Have y'all ever seen guys that handle bikes a lot stop, get off, walk up front, grab it by the horns (bars), and back it in by hand?
Ran into a group of fellers from up the coast that put on several impressive displays on Main Street... parking in front of Dirty Harry's, during Bike Week this year.
Never seen that be a one person job. I've helped push people that end up a little stuck due to an incline but never seen solo.

Anyways, another point to the OP is if you gotta park in spaces like that I think your on a path for imminent disaster. These are BigDogs if they get knocked over even from a car hitting it lightly you could end up with an easy 1k in damages if your lucky. These aren't beaters and they don't take the abuse well. Could bend the handlebars, scratch the tank and fenders or sissybar struts or brake a foot peg. If all that happens its $2K in repairs. These days these bikes are sold cheap but fixing them still remains very expensive.

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
Never seen that be a one person job. I've helped push people that end up a little stuck due to an incline but never seen solo.

Anyways, another point to the OP is if you gotta park in spaces like that I think your on a path for imminent disaster. These are BigDogs if they get knocked over even from a car hitting it lightly you could end up with an easy 1k in damages if your lucky. These aren't beaters and they don't take the abuse well. Could bend the handlebars, scratch the tank and fenders or sissybar struts or brake a foot peg. If all that happens its $2K in repairs. These days these bikes are sold cheap but fixing them still remains very expensive.

Let's apply just a little logic to this. Who the hell wants to put up with these traffic conditions. I would be looking for a tank instead of a bike. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Let's apply just a little logic to this. Who the hell wants to put up with these traffic conditions. I would be looking for a tank instead of a bike. Of course, this is just my opinion.
I am with you!

I never ride in the city and avoid it and highways and prefer rural settings. I always thought that was safer, well go figure a lady hit me in one of the most rural Fucking towns within 30-40 miles of Dallas only pop 822 in the town. Obviously her pulling into the church parking lot she didn't feel prudent to look or listen, how she didn't hear my bike I have zero clue nor see me since Texas is flat and straight So who knows!

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
We had some friends come into town last summer and they insisted that we ride to Virginia Beach:). After trying to explain how bad the traffic was I decided to show them instead of telling them. We made it about a mile from Atlantic Ave. on 264 and the traffic was stopped. It was only in the mid 90's so it didn't take long to break a sweat once we stopped:D. It took about 5 minutes of setting in the heat before Lonnie's wife eased up beside me and quietly said "HOW THE HELL CAN WE TURN AROUND :oldhardlaugh:, as the traffic started moving we worked ourselves off the interstate and got in the west bound lane. I don't know about other parts of the country, but in my neck of the woods once it hits the 100 degree mark I start looking for some shade:whoop:

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
We had some friends come into town last summer and they insisted that we ride to Virginia Beach:). After trying to explain how bad the traffic was I decided to show them instead of telling them. We made it about a mile from Atlantic Ave. on 264 and the traffic was stopped. It was only in the mid 90's so it didn't take long to break a sweat once we stopped:D. It took about 5 minutes of setting in the heat before Lonnie's wife eased up beside me and quietly said "HOW THE HELL CAN WE TURN AROUND :oldhardlaugh:, as the traffic started moving we worked ourselves off the interstate and got in the west bound lane. I don't know about other parts of the country, but in my neck of the woods once it hits the 100 degree mark I start looking for some shade:whoop:
I stopped riding if it was in the triple digits as well. One time I was in fort worth then trying to get home for stuck in traffic and I had to pull over and I found a Starbucks nearby just to get some AC and a glass of water because it was just too damn hot. Bike doesn't like it either, earlier in the day it was pinging at red lights. Think it was 105-106 that day