Cruise speeds around the City

HMAN

I just like my Freedom
This bike has a 6 speed. Not sure what speed you are "cruising" at. 1st gear in my Pit is only good for maybe 20 mph tops. These motors like higher rpm's but if you are "cruising" in 1st, you may want to take a riding course.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
ciro412, may I recommend you go back and read the part of the membership application that says there will be no personal attacks on other members. you are welcome here as long as you follow the rules.

Ciro412

I understand but your responce was offensive to me. You could have asked me how much riding experience l might have instead of suggesting a motorcycle course Sir.
I love my bike but around Brooklyn where you must not exceed 25 mph in most areas, the tug I'm feeling around 1st and 2nd gears are not comfortable.

1 B.M.F.

Try second gear. 107’s are torquey engines. How long have you been riding? I didn’t see your name in introductions maybe I overlooked it. That’s where you tell a little bit about you, your bike, what your hobbies are. Go NY YANKEES. Been a fan since age 7-8. I go every time there in Texas.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
both the 107" and the 117" tend to like to run at 2k rpm and will "buck a little at less than that. so which ever you get the best response, either 1st or 2nd, but keep it around 2k. close-in city riding is not your bikes friend.

awg

Guru
If your only doing 25mph most of the time, I can see alot of shifting back and fourth. Your right at that odd speed. I don't think the tranny is bad. I think it's just the speed your at.

Ciro412

Well hello, thank you for understanding. I am a Yankee fan. Last season l went to about 10 or 12 games at Yankee Stadium...beautiful. I've been back since 2016 for work.
I was born here in New York but moved to Florida for most of my life.
I started riding around 1995 with a Honda 600. Nice bike but sold it for my 2003 Fatboy, then another Fatboy, (stolen and l almost had a heart attach) then a Softail Deluxe...too low and short for me. I had a Harley custom at one point and always wanted the Pitbull. After a few years without a bike l found this. I love Texas

Ciro412

both the 107" and the 117" tend to like to run at 2k rpm and will "buck a little at less than that. so which ever you get the best response, either 1st or 2nd, but keep it around 2k. close-in city riding is not your bikes friend.
I have gathered as much. NYC streets are brutal

Ciro412

If your only doing 25mph most of the time, I can see alot of shifting back and fourth. Your right at that odd speed. I don't think the tranny is bad. I think it's just the speed your at.
Yes Sir..l was toying with the idea of switching out the transmission. Is that insane. Maybe l would think.

Sven

Too bad you couldn't convert to chain and sprockets. This way, you can calculate the rpm to mph, to the happy gear... and stay there all day. Then again, you trade one for the other. Great city gearing, poor highway riding, i.e., high rpm, buzzing the butt, poor gas mileage.

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
I sure like the paint on the Pitbull. Beautiful.
If a previous owner put a cam in it. An improperly adjusted carb needs could also add to the ‘loping’ you describe. There are instructions on how to adjust the carb in separate threads.
Hard to know if it has been cammed up without seeing the cam, so if the carb is properly adjusted, just live with it. I had a K9 that hated to run under 2000. Jerky as hell under 2500 in first gear especially. I finally resigned to running 2500+ rpm. Easy fix.

Ciro412

I sure like the paint on the Pitbull. Beautiful.
If a previous owner put a cam in it. An improperly adjusted carb needs could also add to the ‘loping’ you describe. There are instructions on how to adjust the carb in separate threads.
Hard to know if it has been cammed up without seeing the cam, so if the carb is properly adjusted, just live with it. I had a K9 that hated to run under 2000. Jerky as hell under 2500 in first gear especially. I finally resigned to running 2500+ rpm. Easy fix.
Yep, thank you so much for the input. I'm certainly not a mechanic but l dont think it's a cam because l know because it was a one owner bike and l work with the gentlemen.
I'm just spoiled since my last bike was a 5 speed fatboy (2007) with a smooth long 1st and 2nd gear.
Thank you for your compliment on the paint. I almost repainted the skins but after 2 weeks it just grew on me and my daughter. She hated the scheme and now she loves it. High string 1st and 2nd gears or not...I'm in love with this bike
Thank you again