chain final drive

Energy One

lee

Thinking of converting by bike to chain final drive. 2005 Bulldog, RSD. Before I tear into things, measure and get it wrong, would anyone have any idea on what the offset might be for the front sprocket, if any? Obviously I will double check before I actually do it. Presumably standard parts can be used for rear wheel and front sprockets, i.e. no BDM proprietary bolt patterns or splines etc in those areas?

Thanks gents
Lee

MARV

PBI 277-25 front sprocket

PBI says its 0 offset but its actually 1/2" built in

need to use ones with 1/2" deep spline area, not the 3/4" ones or you wont have enough thread left on the shaft

sprocket IS going to rub the lower front bolt to your door to the clutch ramp. i grinded the head of the bolt down

also the chain is going to rub the lower rear of the cover. need to chop most of it out

a 1/4" dished rear sprocket

or a HHI sprotor with a spacer behind it

lee

thanks Marv - very useful :2thumbs:

so with yours the chain wouldn't clear the tyre without the 1/4" offset in the rear sprocket? I'm a bit confused too about the front sprocket having a 1/2" offset when it supposed to be zero offset - that obviously makes a big difference - did you need a 1/2" offset with your front sprocket?

I might go with a smaller front sprocket than a 25 and match the rear to keep the ratio as close to what I have now as I can - I do accept there might some grinding involved though and I'm not too bothered about that

Last edited:

MARV

thanks Marv - very useful :2thumbs:

so with yours the chain wouldn't clear the tyre without the 1/4" offset in the rear sprocket? I'm a bit confused too about the front sprocket having a 1/2" offset when it supposed to be zero offset - that obviously makes a big difference - did you need a 1/2" offset with your front sprocket?

I might go with a smaller front sprocket than a 25 and match the rear to keep the ratio as close to what I have now as I can - I do accept there might some grinding involved though and I'm not too bothered about that
you need some offset on the front. the zero with the 1/2 built in was the tightest i could find. cant go wider or your hitting the ramp door.

the 1/4 offset on the rear is needed to center the chain. otherwise it rides to one side of the sprocket. no problem with the tire.

i have the 50 tooth hhi now, they recommended the 25 front, but the bike is apart so cant look to see. but i think its either 1/4" dished rear sprocket or HHI with a spacer centered the chain with the 277-25.

25/50 is good. its lower geared then stock. any lower and you'll pay at high speeds.

even cut like this it still rubbed the cover

here's the final hack on the cover

drilled a hole and tapped a bolt into the trans door. used a spacer on the bolt from cover to trans to keep it from flexing.

here's a pic comparing BD's cover to an aftermarket cover (which is the constant for RSD)

"OLD" = bd'S COVER

the difference in the lower left bolt is why bakers chain conversion doesnt work :down: