Cam, Rocker Boxes, Roller Rocker Arms, and Lifters

Dan22644

Starting a big project since its raining like crazy in FL. Replacing the TP boxes with some S&S ones I got on Ebay. Replacing the lifters with some Crane Cams lifters. Replacing the stock rocker arms with TP roller rockers. And upgrading to the 585 cam! Wish me luck...

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
FYI, your TP topend already has TP toller rockers

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Dan22644

Yeah thats funny, everything I ever read on this site said I should NOT have the roller rockers??? I guess I will have rocker arms for sale...

Now for a question, I have all the bolts out of the TP box, but it is seriously stuck to the gasket. Whats the safe way to break it free???

Gentle tapping with a rubber mallet and wood block wrapped in a soft cloth.
Just be patient and careful as when they pop loose be ready so they don't fall and hit something.

Dan22644

If you are going to remove the rocker boxes on a Bulldog, save yourself all kinds of time and effort and just remove the gas tank right away :bang:

Dan22644

OK I finally got that cover off, it was really on there! Then I see this... Looks like this bike had the .569 comp cam put in....

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Yes, standard info on here. Early 05's and 6's had .569 compcams and later they went yo the .549's

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

V

Guru
Oh, and what valve springs are these???

As I was told that is a Comp spring. They told me it was a double spring with a flat wound inner (spring as I call it) for harmonics. What the actual rating is they would not say. it has been a debateas to the max lift you could run when these. In the 05 I had I installed the .600 cam but I upgraded to the S&S .640 springs.

V

Guru
Is it me or are the S&S rocker boxes in your picture missing a bolt hole right next to the compression release? As I remeber there were 2 allen head bolts in the flat of the rocker box? Might compare it to the TP's you have to make sure.

I bought a rocker box of ebay and it was not the same as what was on the bike.

Might double check and I could very well be totally wrong. Me memory is shot.

Dan22644

Is it me or are the S&S rocker boxes in your picture missing a bolt hole right next to the compression release? As I remeber there were 2 allen head bolts in the flat of the rocker box? Might compare it to the TP's you have to make sure.

I bought a rocker box of ebay and it was not the same as what was on the bike.

Might double check and I could very well be totally wrong. Me memory is shot.
You are correct sir, one less hole, the one very close to the compression release. I'm calling S&S tomorrow, I'll add this to my list of questions.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Dan22644

As I was told that is a Comp spring. They told me it was a double spring with a flat wound inner (spring as I call it) for harmonics. What the actual rating is they would not say. it has been a debateas to the max lift you could run when these. In the 05 I had I installed the .600 cam but I upgraded to the S&S .640 springs.
Has anyone run these springs with the 585 cam without issues???

Dan22644

Has anyone run these springs with the 585 cam without issues???

Dan22644

Ok, unless someone can tell me what these springs are good for, this project is a complete failure. The valve covers will not fit as they are for an Evo motor head and the 117 uses a TC head, I already had the roller rockers, and I don't know if I can use this cam.

I'm sure all this knowledge was already on the forum, but I didn't see it :(

I think I'm just going to put it all back together and sell the parts. Look for a good deal in the swap meet!!

Dan22644

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the spring are good at least up for 585 cams.
No offense, but do you have a source for your hunch? I talked to a guy at CompCams today and he said there are two possible kits that were sold to Big Dog with the 30-4000 cam, both had double springs with the flat damper, but no way of knowing which ones I had without measuring the seat pressure. Of course one of them can handle a cam with over 585 lift, and one cannot :(

Zachusmc

I build 700+ Hp racing engines every day I just want to say this valve springs take a lot of abuse and over time weaken so why not do your self a favor and just get new valve springs that way you know they are good and it is cheap insurance to protect your engien from serious failure just my opinion but I see it ever day.