Baker N1 Shift System

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
Talked to Baker this morning about them. They won't fit our Baker 6 speed, it's designed for Harley. I sent the info to Matt, because I think that's the transmission they are using in the new Dogs. The guy I was talking to this morning didn't know if they make, or going to make one for ours, but he was going to check on it. He hasn't e-mailed me back yet.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Talked to Baker this morning about them. They won't fit our Baker 6 speed, it's designed for Harley. I sent the info to Matt, because I think that's the transmission they are using in the new Dogs. The guy I was talking to this morning didn't know if they make, or going to make one for ours, but he was going to check on it. He hasn't e-mailed me back yet.
New dogs have the Jim's 6 Speed not a Baker.

I'd be very surprised if Baker makes this for our dogs. Big Dog was the only one to buy into the DSSC transmissiom from Baker, they couldn't get any other manufactures to start using them, and most of us can see why! They look nice but parts are limited.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

heybaylor

had a couple of bikes with neutral on the bottom, screwed me up , Guess my muscle training "maybe one more down , or maybe one more up......
Count me out , hit neutral too many times ,could get dangerous :olddown:

KnotSo

Admin
Staff member
Cruise Drive 6-Speed N1 Shift Systems:
The N1 Shift Drums have a 0-down all-up shifting pattern, and eliminate any possibility of catching neutral on aggressive 1-2 shifts. Neutral is below 1st. The N1 drum is also popular with handshifting bikes where finding neutral without doubt or error is critical to safety or riding/looking smooth.
  • Cruise Drive 6-Speed N1 Pattern Shift System, 2006-2017 Big Twin (PN 601-CD6N1)
  • Cruise Drive 6-Speed N1 Pattern Shift System, 2017 M8 (PN 601-CD617N1)

6-Speed and 5-Speed N1 Shift Systems:
The N1 Shift Drums have a 0-down all-up shifting pattern, and eliminate any possibility of catching neutral on aggressive 1-2 shifts. Neutral is below 1st. The N1 drum is also popular with handshifting bikes where finding neutral without doubt or error is critical to safety or riding/looking smooth.
  • 6-Speed N1 Pattern Shift System, 1980-1997 Big Twins (PN N181-6)*
  • 6-Speed N1 Pattern Shift System, 1998-2000 Big Twins (PN N182-6)*
  • 6-Speed N1 Pattern Shift System, BAKER DD6 (PN 124-DD6N1-A)
  • 5-Speed N1 Pattern Shift System, 1980-2006 Big Twin (except Dyna) (PN 2-5RNS-N1)**
*NOTE FOR 6-SPEED:For BAKER OD6 and DD6 applications. The N1 Shift Drum only is required if you purchased your BAKER DD6 or OD6 after June 2000. For units purchased prior to that date you need to purchase the N171-6 Shift Kit. N171-6 comes with drum, 6061-T6 pillow blocks, and torsion-spring loaded detent system.**FOR 5-SPEED: BAKER N1 Shift Drums are available for stock or BAKER transmission applications. Call 517-339-3835 to see if you need to upgrade the ratchet pawl on your model.
4-Speed N1 Shift Systems:
Eliminates the possibility of catching neutral on a 1-2 upshift. A quadriplegic could find neutral on a hand shift bike with the N1 shift pattern. We start with a solid chunk of steel, machine in all the features, then remove the unnecessary material. Two teflon coated bushings are pressed into the drum axis bore for smooth rotation on shifts.

The N1 drum changes the shift pattern from the standard 1-N-2-3-4 to N-1-2-3-4.

• 4-Speed N1 Pattern Shift System, Existing 1952-79 ratchet tops with no modification (PN 4-155N1-K