Air Ride setup / Base Height Adj?

PurpleDog

So I mentioned in a different thread that I recently began experiencing bottoming out on my FL trip. I've been hitting the frame just in front of the swing arm on both sides lately. Has taken the paint off both sides from numerous hard hits. Now I've always had the typical exhaust scrape (BR) in curves - I was using 'em as road feelers until the tip finally bent under and I hit the forward radius.

Anyway, I've checked to assure the ride height is adjusting with more/less pressure of course, and it is, but it seems I am not getting enough clearance at full pressure. The question is, does anyone know if there is baseline adjustable setup for this? Or is it just fixed as in ya got what ya got? I can't be sure if something has gone wrong since I've got the bike or if I am just more comfortable with it now or not as careful type thing.

Thanks for any insightful thoughts.

/jim

05chop

Not sure about the base height! Swing arm should hit the bump stops when it bottoms out. Do you have an air leak? Possible the rebound shock took a shit.I know the manual says to run 90-120 psi i dont have a gauge on mine though.

PurpleDog

Well, i do have an air leak down wherein I have to air it back up everyday (could be out of spec) but not such that it won't hold air for the day. I've always had it aired up sufficiently when I'm hitting. These hits aren't happening just cruising down the road but rather at turn offs like gas stations and what not. The road transition angles/rises aren't anything that should be causing this to occur imo, based on my past experience though. (bottoming out in my description was to say the frame is hitting the ground, not as in the swing arm is hitting a bump stop)

I've done some searching on here for help on the topic but since air is a 3 letter word, I guess I'm not getting any good hits. I think I need to measure the ground clearance at aired ride height and compare that figure to others that is running the air ride on a K9 I guess. Other than that, I'm just scratching my head with it. :loony:

The only recent change was a new rear tire (Avon Cobra), but I can't see how that could have had anything to do with it either. I'll measure the ground clearance this w/e and see what I've got I guess. Thanks bro.

05chop

When i decided to install the bdm air ride set up in my chopper that i got from nelson. I measured the stock height from the ground to the seat if i remember it was 24.5.Then lowered it went 22.5. In the lowered position im about 2.5 in from ground to lower frame rail.In the raised position it will go higher than stock and stay there. Do you have an air gauge on yours? I dont have the spec on your bike for stock height. i guess i have never heard about bottoming out on the frame with correct air pressure though. Do you have any pic,side view? That air leak you have you should get fixed,spray some soapy water to find it. It almost sounds like your running to low of air pressure or you have a pivot shaft broken.:cheers:

05chop

If i forget to air it up these pipes will drag.Proflyer has air on his k9 maybe he can get you some spec:cheers:

Disturbed

I ride with mine all the way up. I frequently hit the frame still, kinda unnerving. I just try to be real careful in the turns. Price you pay for lookin good.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Welll I have adjusted my rear shocks up high and I still bottom out the swingarm on the rear fender struts.

And I even added fender washers to push my bump stops out more to TRY to prevent

PurpleDog

Thanks guys, I didn't know if I was the only one draggin frame. So I've got 2.5" air'd down (0 Psi) and 3 1/8" at 150 Psi. So it is working; I guess I've just got to be more careful.

I didn't see any sort of adj for height under there (I don' have a lift for a good look yet) and since no one spoke up saying ya dummy there is different mounting holes or something; I guess there isn't. Oh well. I'll try to be more careful...:bang:

Thanks again.

/jim

lee

a 5/8" rise doesn't sound enough to me. I'm sure mine rises a lot more than that.

hoat

mine definately does not work as it did when I first installed it. have not figured it out yet

PurpleDog

I'm leaning towards weak compressors.
I could see that if it didn't air up; but it seems as though it is airing up fine. I can pump it up beyond 150 but it doesn't like to hold the pressure at those levels. I used to ride around 90psi without problems, in attempts to prevent bottoming out I've been running 110-120ish psi. It doesn't seem to increase ride height above that, but it does get stiffer of course. I didn't measure ride height when I first got it so I don't have a baseline ride height to compare to.

PurpleDog

Well, I've got a little update to this although I still don't know what is causing this. So I've removed the swing arm to check those bearings (+10k miles) and finally figure out/see why my ride height had seemed to change last fall for no apparent reason. I've been riding on the swing arm bump stops apparently - there all tore up/mashed. I presume those should rarely/never really make contact and I can tell I've been using them as my suspension it looks like. I knew I had a lowrider...:D

So something is amiss with my air ride set up. It doesn't appear that the base ride height is adjustable to me. It has always ridden damn near as stiff as a rigid and I have no idea what brand it is. Black cylinders, its wired in properly like they do, and has the familiar air gauge on the rear cyl head like a dealer installed the system.

I know I have to have a higher base height, wouldn't mind a softer ride (185lbs) since I did buy a sissy swing arm bike n all...:D Saved ya the trouble rigid freaks.

Ideas welcome, been searching reading up on old shock threads.

PurpleDog

Well I think its a combination of the shock shoulder bolts were/are binding and those damn shocks just don't freakin move. I've never seen a shock (air or otherwise) that I couldn't physically make move in or out....until now that is.
Granted I was at an awkward angle and trying to work around a bike jack n all; just not what I was expecting I guess, pita. Swing arm bearings are fine, seemed to air up higher this time although I haven't measured it yet.
I did learn there is only about 2 1/2" of total available swing arm movement available between frame and bump stops measured at rear axle. (~approx, my bump stops are worn dwn/out)
Bottom line I guess I need to be running about 150lbs air in this thing vs the ~100 I was running. Probably rather have stock and trouble free.

T Mack

SUCKER FREE
I run mine

I run mine at 100psi. still bottoms out every once in a while while im turning and there are different road levels... going into gas station... ect..,

Actually a lil afraid to ride on these MI roads anytime soon... there are pot holes bigger than some cars here now.... MI roads are fucked real bad this winter... any MI guys agree? seen any bad roads out there!!!

Doug G

T Mack, you are correct, the roads here in Michigan are scary as hell. All of us are going to have to watch our asses while riding this summer, I have never seen our roads so f-ed up!

T Mack

SUCKER FREE
T Mack, you are correct, the roads here in Michigan are scary as hell. All of us are going to have to watch our asses while riding this summer, I have never seen our roads so f-ed up!
Ive been driving around in my cars and I see some of these holes and Im like damn if I was on the scoot and hit that one i would be fucked!!!! :angry: :rant: :bang:

We need new roads all together here in Michigan.........