2006 K-9 Side Covers

FXDWG

I am need of some help here on my '06 K-9 side covers and will appreciate some input from the experts.

1) I am sure I am not the first one to experience a rear broken mounting tab on a side cover - what are you guys doing to repair it so that you never have to deal with it again. The right, rear mounting tab broke - Kinda bumming about it and hoping someone has come up with a good repair for it.

2) How do I remove the side covers? I do not have the updated pushpin kit. On each side cover, there are 2 bolts on the top (front and rear), and a pin on the front bottom. It appears there is enough room to get the left cover off, but is it necessary to remove the exhaust pipe (Big Radius) and pulley cover for the right side? Or will it come out if carefully maneuvered? These are the covers with the long tail at the rear.

P.S. - I did so a thread search about the cover removal and I'm still not sure if it's possible to remove the right side without removing the exhaust and pulley cover.

Thank you in advance for your expertise and advice

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
I am need of some help here on my '06 K-9 side covers and will appreciate some input from the experts.

1) I am sure I am not the first one to experience a rear broken mounting tab on a side cover - what are you guys doing to repair it so that you never have to deal with it again. The right, rear mounting tab broke - Kinda bumming about it and hoping someone has come up with a good repair for it.

2) How do I remove the side covers? I do not have the updated pushpin kit. On each side cover, there are 2 bolts on the top (front and rear), and a pin on the front bottom. It appears there is enough room to get the left cover off, but is it necessary to remove the exhaust pipe (Big Radius) and pulley cover for the right side? Or will it come out if carefully maneuvered? These are the covers with the long tail at the rear.

P.S. - I did so a thread search about the cover removal and I'm still not sure if it's possible to remove the right side without removing the exhaust and pulley cover.

Thank you in advance for your expertise and advice
Bigdogpartskingpin.com has brackets to re-enforce the covers.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Bigdogpartskingpin.com has brackets to re-enforce the covers.
The covers bolts you described are known as well nuts -- neoprene or rubber with a threaded bottom portion. When screw is tightened it makes the neoprene/rubber widen and not be able to slip out of the hole basically.

FXDWG

Much easier to remove the pipe and as far as the push pin kit goes I did not like it and went back to the bolts and well nuts, on my K9 and Bulldog.
Agreed. I decided to install an "Easy Pull" Clutch Ramp so everything is apart now. I installed the reinforcement brackets on the side covers and will put it all back together, staying with the bolts and well nuts as well. I didn't really like the push pin set up either.