2004 Pitbull Primary Leak

I have a 2004 Pitbull 107 and have a small leak in the rear of the primary. It started only a couple drips after a ride, now it is a light drip just sitting. I originally thought it might be from the drain plug but it now appears it may be seeping out of the seal as the drip forms on the primary bolt right next to the drain plug. Common sense tells me outer seal however after doing multiple searches on the forum it sounds like it could be a few different things. Anyone have any experience before I tear into it?

Sven

If you seem to think it's the seal on the trans side [or the primary cover side]? Then, check trans level and if low, now we know which side the leak is coming from.

HMAN

I just like my Freedom
From my experience....take your primary cover off and lay a straightedge around it. I'll bet ya its NOT flat. Check the inner primary mating surface as well. I had to flat file a brand new cover. It had a lip rolled up around several bolt holes. Make both surfaces as close to flat as you can and your leak should stop. Jmo.

heybaylor

check your tranny vent hose.
I found many are too short to vent to the ground , so they vent to the inside of the primary.
Gravity/wind makes it go to the lowest point .
not much , but looks like a oil leak on/in the primary

Dragonslave

I have a 2004 Pitbull 107 and have a small leak in the rear of the primary. It started only a couple drips after a ride, now it is a light drip just sitting. I originally thought it might be from the drain plug but it now appears it may be seeping out of the seal as the drip forms on the primary bolt right next to the drain plug. Common sense tells me outer seal however after doing multiple searches on the forum it sounds like it could be a few different things. Anyone have any experience before I tear into it?
Take a picture where you are seeing the oil and that may help everyone diagnose the issue.

Well dug into it last night. Went ahead and changed the gasket, I could tell it was needed. It was visible where oil had soaked into that back corner. When I was looking underneath however I noticed another leak that I traced to drain bolt that about ready to fall out of the tranny conver which was allowing just enough to seep out that was then in turn dripping down to the same corner of the bike when on kickstand. I tightened it up we will see what it does now.

Last edited:

Dragonslave

Well dug into it last night. Went ahead and changed the gasket, I could tell it was needed. It was visible where oil had soaked into that back corner. When I was looking underneath however I noticed another leak that I traced to drain bolt that about ready to fall out of the tranny conver which was allowing just enough to seep out that was then in turn dripping down to the same corner of the bike when on kickstand. I tightened it up we will see what it does now.
Great! I also have a leak on mine but I am going to wait till winter and change every seal I have anyway. Maybe mine is the same as yours :2thumbs: