05 Final Chain Drive Conversion Complete

Energy One

clay5769

Hi all

FYI I just did a 05 Chopper Final Chain Drive Conversion...

Other then needing a couple of Spacers/Washers for the front sprocket..
There was a space between the sprocket and the nut I made 2 washers works perfect.... I did not have to cut my clutch cover or grind it at all..

Here are the parts I used..

PBI Front Sprocket 1/2 offset ...Part #280-5 Speed 24 Tooth.........
(I have the six speed but PBI thankfully sold me this one I had ordered the 6 speed version which will not work the 6 speed I have is 5 speed shaft )

All below from J&P I also ordered an extra master link to carry like in the old days.. (I'm 56)

I also used red lock tight on everything and while doing this job , I found front bottom motor mount bolts almost fallen out....

Rear sprocket Part #600-0531 48 tooth sprocket

Part #600-985 ....530 X 120 Chain (I just went for cheap)

5 ea grade 8 Bolts (for the rear sprocket)

Best thing I ever did I love it... It even feels like it pulls better and NO MORE DAM BELT SQUEAL......:2thumbs:

J&P total $147.58
PBI Sprocket's Total $71.15

Grand total with shipping and the homemade washers and 5ea grade 8 Bolts ($15.00)

$233.73 complete...

Last edited:

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome!!! Appreciate you listing the part #'s interesting you didn't need to cut down the clutch cover as the other who did this conversion did trim it.

Still wanting to do this with my 04, wish I could get the part #, the money and the time to do it. Ran out of time and money on my rebuild over the winter.

clay5769

Awesome!!! Appreciate you listing the part #'s interesting you didn't need to cut down the clutch cover as the other who did this conversion did trim it.

Still wanting to do this with my 04, wish I could get the part #, the money and the time to do it. Ran out of time and money on my rebuild over the winter.
Thanks..:2thumbs: I read on here I think not sure but someone said they were going to try the 24 tooth front to avoid the need to trim/grind clutch cover..
I tried it and it worked...:cheers:

MARV

Very good.
What happens is as your swingarm moves in or out the chain gets closer to the frame and the cover. You'll see. Cool the 24 added room. Your next add on can be the sprotor!

clay5769

TY.. the sprotor looks bad ass.. But I'm done I just wanna ride and not hear that DAM SQUEAK.....

I bought this used in Florida and in the last 6 months I have replaced the clutches/front tire/clutch cable/air cleaner/pipes/Final chain drive... I don't want to wrench anymore...

And I still have a computer issues I think ..it shuts off sometimes for no reason.. If I turn the switch off and on and hit the run button:whoop: (while I'm riding) and restart it its ok for the rest of the day....and I don't have a problem until the next time it decides to stop..

Last edited:

BBChopper

Supports 2 Disabled Vets
Troop Supporter
TY.. the sprotor looks bad ass.. But I'm done I just wanna ride and not hear that DAM SQUEAK.....

I bought this used in Florida and in the last 6 months I have replaced the clutches/front tire/clutch cable/air cleaner/pipes/Final chain drive... I don't want to wrench anymore...

And I still have a computer issues I think ..it shuts off sometimes for no reason.. If I turn the switch off and on and hit the run button:whoop: (while I'm riding) and restart it its ok for the rest of the day....and I don't have a problem until the next time it decides to stop..
Check your gas cap vent!!!! Next time it shuts off loosen the cap ASAP and listen for air to suck into the tank!

clay5769

Check your gas cap vent!!!! Next time it shuts off loosen the cap ASAP and listen for air to suck into the tank!
Thanks but its electrical... everything goes off no electric power to the lights no tach or speedo..:(

Sometimes the speedo freezes up along with the tach. or sometime just one or the other... Or other times neither work at all but the bike still runs.. with no tach or speedo..:bang: