04 Trans Fluid Recommendation

roadie1389

I really don't want to start any shit here. Honestly all the freakin this is best, this sucks, gets to me BUT I will be that jackass that has to say something. I have been using RedLine Trans in my 04. I say a post on FB that that stuff is really not good for the trannys, which is funny because Baker sells it right on their site. So it's either a "let's sell some shit to sell parts" or its really not all that bad. Anyway, about to do some mtc on this pos and wanted to know if the Redline is good stuff or if I should change. Problem is how do you flush that old stuff out? Drain, fill, then ride, drain, fill, how many time you have to drain it to really flush the old stuff out? Its not like there is a oil pump. It just splashes all over the place.

Anyway, like I said, don't want to start any fights just some honest solutions.

Thanks.

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
I dont think there is anything wrong with redline or other gear oil brands...i have runned them all honestly...

But with that said i went to Schaffer's 75-140 for the bikes transmission...i been playing around with Schaffer's for alot of years in different racecars and i see that it works and works quiet well...in the racecar im talking about motor oil....i even run it in my golf cart and honestly even Steph noticed the motor is quieter in the golf cart.. Schaeffer is little more expensive but i like it

There again this is just personal preference...there is alot of good oils out there...

I wouldnt stress to much about getting it all out...i would get all i could get and refill it with whatever ypu decide...i mean it wouldnt hurt to ride it couple 100 miles and do it again but honestly i proabably wouldnt...i might make the next oil.change a little sooner than normal.but that would be about it

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
I use Redline in my K9 transmission and Schaffer’s in the engine. Bought this bike (thanks to Trainman) with maybe 3,600 miles and now it’s about 55K. Ran out of Redline once and used Spectro for a turn or two. As Knot says, there should be no apparent problems with a drain and refill (get it hot). But I know you Wolfman, and you tend to be a bit OCD about these matters…..I always felt that transmission oil was too damn expensive to change more frequently than recommended.
I read a post (if I recall correctly) by Mr. Wright in which he says a test showed Schaffer’s ran 20 degrees cooler engine temps than other brands. No idea about the transmission oil. I’d think operating temp of the oil in the transmission is moot—-how’s it gonna get overheated?
The criticism I’ve seen of Redline has been anecdotal. Many of the shops said things like ‘I’ve seen a lot of pink come out of a ruined transmission’, etc. I think that is what BDM recommended, and I don’t know what they put in the transmissions of new bikes. If it’s Redline, then that s what the shop guys would see. They implied that Redline is too thick and doesn’t reach all bearing surfaces. Redline is quite viscous. Living in Dallas, I don’t think you need to worry about the transmission staying so cold that oil wouldn’t flow properly, especially if you take it easy until warmed up.
I think more transmissions have been ruined by (a given is the cheaper OEM bearings) rolling on the throttle in a higher gear at low speed, which cranks huge amounts of torque to the bearings, and also by aggressive downshifting. Gears have two sides to every little gear blade—a coast side and a load side (acceleration)—to be aggressive in acceleration and engine braking (i.e. hotdogging it up to the top of Mesa Verde) increases stress and load on both sides of the gear and subsequently the transmission bearings. Ask me how I know! Haha
Also—come up to Dave’s. We miss you.

Last edited:

Mickmorris

Supporting Member
I think I seen that same post from Barnes if that’s the one you are referring to. He states Spectro is the only one that should be used in the Baker 6speed DSSC transmission on the later model bikes. I don’t think he is referring to our older ‘04 & earlier LSD models. The main difference is the main shaft seal in the RSD transmission. Curtis @ Wildsteedworx has a video on youtube where he explains why redline shouldn’t be used in those cases

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
The east coast and west coast have been very vocal on their opinion of each other and oil brands. I had a good conversation with the guys at Gateway BD in St. Louis, who build transmissions also, and they say redline in our Baker and Jim's transmission is an excellent oil, and 75w140 Lucas in the DSSC.

Mickmorris

Supporting Member
I really don't want to start any shit here. Honestly all the freakin this is best, this sucks, gets to me BUT I will be that jackass that has to say something. I have been using RedLine Trans in my 04. I say a post on FB that that stuff is really not good for the trannys, which is funny because Baker sells it right on their site. So it's either a "let's sell some shit to sell parts" or its really not all that bad. Anyway, about to do some mtc on this pos and wanted to know if the Redline is good stuff or if I should change. Problem is how do you flush that old stuff out? Drain, fill, then ride, drain, fill, how many time you have to drain it to really flush the old stuff out? Its not like there is a oil pump. It just splashes all over the place.

Anyway, like I said, don't want to start any fights just some honest solutions.

Thanks.
Redline is fine in your pos! :oldhardlaugh: :chopper:

chubs

Guru
I've gotta agree with Eric on this one. If you ask 20 different people, what is the best "whatever", you'll get about 20 different answers. Oil, batteries, tires, polishes, "whatever". I say use what works for you and let everyone else do what they want. If your buddies use something that they like, that you personally don't, does that make them wrong? a lot of guys say ya have to use Deka batteries. I've never had a Deka in the time I've owned my bike, but the Duracell's I've always ran have lasted a good 5 years. (they came out of the same building that puts out Deka's)
years. I personally run Spectro brand oils in my bike, and am satisfied with it. Like I said, use what YOU like! Just my 2 cents)

Last edited:

SCC007

Also agree the more people you ask the more opinions you are going to get...and for the most part that is all they are is an opinion. Use what works for you, can even do a little comparison try one and then the next time a different and maybe you can find the one that you really like...otherwise can also find some info from manufacturers or an actual comparison test (youtube has a few good ones).
Pretty much if it comes from a reputable company it will be just fine...especially for one interval.

HMAN

I just like my Freedom
I've gotta agree with Eric on this one. If you ask 20 different people, what is the best "whatever", you'll get about 20 different answers. Oil, batteries, tires, polishes, "whatever". I say use what works for you and let everyone else do what they want. If your buddies use something that they like, that you personally don't, does that make them wrong? a lot of guys say ya have to use Deka batteries. I've never had a Deka in the time I've owned my bike, but the Duracell's I've always ran have lasted a good 5 years. (they came out of the same building that puts out Deka's)
years. I personally run Spectro brand oils in my bike, and am satisfied with it. Like I said, use what YOU like! Just my 2 cents)
Can we all @ least agree on titties? We all like em, right?

liferider

Looking forward to retirement
Schaffer has quite a bit of Molly in their oils. The salesman came to our shop yrs ago. It just so happened we had at that time recently purchased rig4 a Midway 1500. The rotory was getting so hot you couldn’t touch it. One of our suppliers suggested Schaffer gear oil with Molly. We had to do something this rotary table cost $75,000.00! So we called the local dealer and he said great that the regional salesman was in the area and he would call him. He showed up a few hrs later and said before I explain our product . He asked for a 1/2” drill bit, a piece of 1/2” thick steel, a drill press, and a sample of our current gear oil. What he did next was mind blowing. He set the steel plate in the vice on the drill press, put 2 drops of our oil on the steel plate and proceeded to drill through the plate causing the oil to smoke up the area. Next he used the same bit and plate just moving the plate over and put 2 drops of Schaffer gear oil with Molly and tried to drill the steel plate. The bit just sat there and spun. The Molly acted like a slick barricade and prevented the bit from drilling into the steel. We were sold. The next day we drained and refilled the rotary table and started drilling. To this day the rotary runs at ambient temperatures. So now we run it in all of our gear boxes. We see hardly any wear on gears also since we started running it. Our big 18” Failing rotory tables use to have to be rebuilt once a yr. We go 5-6 yrs and these take a beating.