04 Mastiff goes click...

04BDMastiff

Having a problem with the dog- every once in awhile when i hit the start button all i get is a loud click. i thought it was just a bad battery connection but when it happened on the road yesterday i reseated the connections and it still did the same thing. Also what exactly does the plunger on the starter do? once when it wouldn't start, i pushed the plunger and it started right up- then i did it another time and the plunger stuck in and the starter wouldn't disengage. i had to pull a battery terminal off before she melted down. could this all be from a poorly charged battery? if that was the case, i don't know why when i pushed the plunger in, the starter engaged and rolled over easily.:loony:

You need to go through your starter circuit wiring.
Clean the connections and put dielectric grease in them.
Pull the harness connectors at the EHC, clean both connections and put dielectric grease in them.
It also could be the starter button, at your hand controls, is starting to wear out.
You need to lube your slam button at the starter and make sure it operates without sticking. Its there in case your starter electrical circuit ever goes out and you need to manually start the bike. Doesn't do ya much good if it sticks.

bearman

I don't know why, but low battery voltage can cause the solonoid to stick. It has happened to me several times in cars, but not on my scoot. I have seen it on other scooters though.

If everyone had one of those simple LED battery voltage indicators (like from Wildsteedworks.com) then it would be easy just to look and see if it is a voltage issue to start with.