Wanting to install internal throtle cables

Stimey131

Has anyone installed one of the internal throtle cables on there BDM. If you have could you let me know which one you used. I have a 07 Mastiff. My idle cable keeps falling off of the grip so, I'm going to have to replace it and I plan on intalling new hand grips, but I really would like to put one of the interenal throtle cable sysytems on. I have always disliked the look of the throtle cable hanging out like they do. So since I'm going to replace most of it, I midas-well put them inside the handle bars if possible. What I mean by that is if there is one of those kits with the roller bearing that slides in the end of the handl bars and the cable goes through some how. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

V

Guru
I've seen them and like the looks of it as well. I do believe most are made for std size bars where our late model BDM bars are slightly larger in diameter and the std controls grips etc do not fit with out some custom modifing out getting a set of new bars and then that opens the can of worms on your contorls:bang:

Stimey131

So does that mean beause our handle bars are slightly larger that I can't just order any of the hand grips I see because they also will not fit the bars. If thats true do you happen to know where I could get some new grips for my BDM.

V

Guru
So does that mean beause our handle bars are slightly larger that I can't just order any of the hand grips I see because they also will not fit the bars. If thats true do you happen to know where I could get some new grips for my BDM.
Yep. Check out Brews post above.

Also the same deal with your pegs. Different size coupling than std HD.

Big Dog Performance Products has some other styles than stock.

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
Another question to ask yourself is how would internal throttle cables work with our two cable system. Just asking because if I were to design an internal throttle cable system it would only have one cable with a strong spring on the carb throttle butterfly to close it when I let go of the throttle grip. Just something else to think about.

Oops, I see there is a dual cable system. I learn something every day. Look at Get That Super-Clean Custom Look :eek:

And, they fit on 1.25 inch diameter bars. Sweet project :D

Remember, you are going to have to lube the throttle cable periodically.

I am going to have to put this on my wish list!

Last edited:

what?

the look is definitely sharp. but from what i understand and have read................they are a constant maintenance issue. i aint got time to dick around with the bike everytime i want to take a ride.

stlmikie

I wish I had more money.
If your cable is coming loose from the control you may want to readjust the cables. That is a common issue for cables with a little to much slack. May give that a shot to keep you on the road until you get the new setup.

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
If your cable is coming loose from the control you may want to readjust the cables. That is a common issue for cables with a little to much slack. May give that a shot to keep you on the road until you get the new setup.
X2. You have to tighten those cables up or you will be taking the controls apart over and over again because they come out of the slot.

Stimey131

I had to take the control apart to put the idle cable back on, but I didn't tighten it and of course I didn't get 2 miles down the road and it was back off. I thought it was defective and was going to replace my grips and cables, but if I can tighten it up, that would be great as I can save a little money and order a complete hand grips and pegs package later. I haven't really found the grips I like yet. So I'm going to see if there is a "How to" theard on the forum to show me how to tighten these cables up correctly. Thanks for all the input. That's why I like this forum because people are always willing to help you out. if I don't find a good how to on the subject I'll be back. Thanks again.

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
I checked my 08 service manual which says to adjust the throttle and idle cable play to 1/8 of an inch. I didn't see any other info. I had never looked at my service manual when adjusting mine after lubrication. I had taken the adjustment nuts loose and pulled the cable to lube the inside. At first, I left it too loose and found that the cables could come off their throttle "channel". So, I had to take the control back apart, put the cable back on, keep it tight while I tightened up the adjustment nuts. Live and learn.

BigMike

Big Mike
I would not do it my brother has the high dollar C.C. handle bar set up on his custom and the throttle side has promblems all the time cable breaks and binding up .