Transmission Bearing wore out!!!

Pdub

Just had my 15k service and was complaining about a "ghost" neutral when downshifting to 4th gear. They called and told me that my transmission bearing needed replaced. They also said that this is somewhat common for guys who actually ride their bike so has anyone else replaced this and when did you? Should the bearing be "repacked" during any of my other services???

Showtime

I just got my 3rd tranny back from the shop and I have broke the mainshaft one time countershaft another..... but all three times the bearings had to be replaced. I had the vet put so called "top of the line" bearings in the second time and they lasted 600 miles. I feel your pain brother!!!!

BBChopper

Supports 2 Disabled Vets
Troop Supporter
Input shaft bearing at 7500mi three weeks before Daytona 08. No biggie, I got the trans back in and test road 12 hours before I left for Daytona!!:cheers::2thumbs:

Exotic

For future reference, are there any how to's on tranny removal and replacement? Is it recommended anywhere to service or replace the bearing?

WRM66

i just blew my up a couple of weeks ago....shelled the teeth off of 1st & 6th gear, broke the mainshaft, 2 bearing and 3rd gear was laying in the bottom of the case.... overhauled and on the road in 4 days....too many 2 gear burnouts, lol !

Five Five

Just had my 15k service and was complaining about a "ghost" neutral when downshifting to 4th gear. They called and told me that my transmission bearing needed replaced. They also said that this is somewhat common for guys who actually ride their bike so has anyone else replaced this and when did you? Should the bearing be "repacked" during any of my other services???
Yup mine went out at 16K and I'm a daily rider.....I would recommend getting the kit and replace all bearings. The bearings in the trap door and case are bullet proof...but the needle bearings are a split cage design which allows it to open up (C-shape) so it can slide over the shaft than snap into place....

which bearing is worn out on your tranny ?

bigdogtech01

Yup mine went out at 16K and I'm a daily rider.....I would recommend getting the kit and replace all bearings. The bearings in the trap door and case are bullet proof...but the needle bearings are a split cage design which allows it to open up (C-shape) so it can slide over the shaft than snap into place....

which bearing is worn out on your tranny ?
Actually it is the bearings in the left side of the case that are most likely to cause the problems. The main drive gear bearings do tend to fail as well once the others start to wear. It is common to need replacing before or sometime soon after 10k. I've replaced the in literally hundreds of transmissions and have seen them go with as few as 2k miles. If you ride it hard, most likely it will wear sooner. If you have a massive open primary drive, over 3" and one with no outer bearing support, your bearings will only last a few hundred miles.

does this start with the seals leaking ?? my seals are leaking fluid bad into the primary
Yes, if you are leaking oil bad most likely you have worn bearings. How many miles on your bike? If you don't have a way to rebuild it send it to me, I've got all the parts and tools needed to do the job:2thumbs:

Actually it is the bearings in the left side of the case that are most likely to cause the problems. The main drive gear bearings do tend to fail as well once the others start to wear. It is common to need replacing before or sometime soon after 10k. I've replaced the in literally hundreds of transmissions and have seen them go with as few as 2k miles. If you ride it hard, most likely it will wear sooner. If you have a massive open primary drive, over 3" and one with no outer bearing support, your bearings will only last a few hundred miles.

Yes, if you are leaking oil bad most likely you have worn bearings. How many miles on your bike? If you don't have a way to rebuild it send it to me, I've got all the parts and tools needed to do the job:2thumbs:
PM sent

LUPHOLE

it happened to my 2007 k-9 last spring around 8000 miles. it was at the end of the warranty period and blackdog in harrisburg, pa. did the rebuild.
i don't abuse my bike and was surprised that the bearings failed. but i still plan on riding to sturgis with some other old farts and will hope for the best.

karata

Few Hundred Miles

Knowledge Base:
With 38 years of mfg. belt drives I cannot understand the quotes referring to belt drives and bearing wear by some members with no mention of the breakage of shafts and clutch parts on factory stock bikes.
How many failures are their with the Karata Belt Drives ?,Rare if Any.
How many failures are their with the Karata Piranha Jr. Clutch ?,Rare if Any
How many failures are their with the Karata "Belt" ?, Rare if Any
HOW MANY FAILURES ARE THEIR WITH ABOVE FACTORY PARTS ???
Explain why the shafts only protrude out 2.500" on the BigDog and 5.125" on a Harley shaft and they do not break as the factory BD's.Could their be something wrong with the design or for the real mfg. of the shafts and gears or is it blamed on the heat treat contractor.
Bearings on the BigDog Shafts are NOT WORN OUT due to a MASSIVE OPEN BELT DRIVE as some would want you all to beleive, with or without Outboard Bearing Supports.
Just a little more knowledge for you members, Karata did MFG. IN HOUSE at their ONE LOCATION in the early to mid eighty's complete DRAG RACING AUTOMATIC (no clutch) transmissions in 3 speed, 4 speed and 5 speed versions for Kaw,Suz,Honda.
If any member is in need you can PM or reach me at karata@karata.com. for a straight answer to your question on belt drives or clutches.
jim@karata

I have original bearings on my 04 LSD transmission and at least 12,000 miles alone since putting on a belt drive that does not have outboard bearing support and it still has no issues.

TCALZ06

Alhall88, how many miles to you have on your trans now?

doesn't Ray have over 50k on a stock trans?

How many of you guys that have had bearing issues are doing burnouts?

I'm at 16k and no problems so far but I do have a back up trans and a forged main shaft just in case.

I want a belt drive!!!!

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
doesn't Ray have over 50k on a stock trans?
!
I'm almost at 70,000 and never touched the transmission other than change the oil every year. Wonder why some have the mainshaft problems and others don't. Wonder if it's hard riding/burnouts and such?

:cheers:

Five Five

I'm almost at 70,000 and never touched the transmission other than change the oil every year. Wonder why some have the mainshaft problems and others don't. Wonder if it's hard riding/burnouts and such?

:cheers:
Ive done a few burnouts now and then but it's not really my thing and them rear tires get expensive....it's still puzzling to me why my tranny failed at 16K