rear light wiring help

Energy One

boomer4444

need some help, iv been troubleshootong all day now,,replaced struts on a 05 ridgeback all done fired it up and no right light nada nothing, ok,, swapped led with other side,both good,,thought oh shit i pinched a wire, took strut back off ,wire looked good, followed wire back to plug by ech, looked good,,thought ok maybe maybe plug(harness) maybe pulled a wire out,,stuck wires in and get nothing,,so my question is ,does the ech shut down one light if it senses a short? if you pull the harness off the ech can you get acess to the wires and female plug terminals? there are 3 wires, red brown black,,what are the function of these? god i hate electrical problems,,will the ech reset if it tripped somehow,thanks for any help u can give,, i am hoping the problem is in the plug 3 inches from the ech,,has anyone cut this out and wired direct?:spank:

boomer4444

wanted too add something,,if the brake light function on the board on one tail light is bad will that shut down ehc,,was swapping bulbs back and forth both lit up,,did it again and hit brake and only one lit up????? wth

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Should be Red/Brown/Black on one Side and Red/Purple/Black on the other. Power/Brake/Ground. The two off color wires should provide the additional signal necessary when you brake.

If you can swap the LED's I'm with you, its either wiring or connection.

Check the pins and connection on the plug which goes directly into the LED, make sure you didn't break something there. Some people have broken the pins and have just put a bit of silicon in the hole to hold the wire in place.

I'm confused by your second post. Upon initial fireup of the scoot did bot tail lights work? Then you hit the brake and lost one?

DRBarnhart

Insert title here...
What light(s) are showing on the EHC when you press the brake and/or activate the turn signal?

Dennis

boomer4444

left side works fine, light ,turn, brake,right side completely dead,, swapped boards(lights) to left to check them , the bulb i took out of the right side, the brake light function does not work, (will not go bright when brake applied),,if the brake function on said board(light) fries will it short out up all the way to the ech and damage the ech or trigger some kind of shutdown? just bought a new light from shovel on ebay,,gotta replace one light anyway but worried it may have damaged ech??? any input

DRBarnhart

Insert title here...
I gather you didn't look at the EHC as I asked? Anyway, if the right side is completely dead I would check the ground (black) wire to make sure you have continuity from the lamp connector to the EHC...

Dennis

PS It shouldn't have damaged the EHC. It has internal protection for stuff like this.

boomer4444

have everything torn down ,but the ehc lights flash( when i turn on a turn signal on handlebar), a steady blink on ech lights top n bottom ,,nothing with brake ,,no bulbs in though and wires running from connecter back to light are torn out on right side,,will replace with new,,wires looked ok ,i am chasing from the lights to the ech and cant find anything wrong,,has any one had the plug harness that plugs into the ech appart?to access wire and crimps?is it possable to get in with out destroying it?
????

Last edited:

DRBarnhart

Insert title here...
Dude! You're all over the place with this! I'll try to decipher it...
... have everything torn down ,but the ehc lights flash( when i turn on a turn signal on handlebar), a steady blink on ech lights top n bottom ...
I asked about the EHC lights but I made the mistaken assumption that the bike was together.
... nothing with brake ,,no bulbs in though and wires running from connecter back to light are torn out on right side ...
I don't know what you mean here! Nothing is connected? The wires are completely torn out of the bike? Or what?
... will replace with new,,wires looked ok ,i am chasing from the lights to the ech and cant find anything wrong ...
If there's nothing wrong with the wires why are you replacing them? Did you use a multimeter or are you going by looks? And if you're planning on replacing the wires, do you have new connectors to crimp on the ends?
... has any one had the plug harness that plugs into the ech appart?to access wire and crimps?is it possable to get in with out destroying it?
Why would you want to? If your lights worked before you changed the struts and they didn't work after then it's something you did! You're barking up the wrong tree and asking for trouble by messing with the EHC connector. A multimeter will tell you everything you need to know...

Dennis

PS Got any pics of what you're working on?

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Dude! You're all over the place with this! I'll try to decipher it...I asked about the EHC lights but I made the mistaken assumption that the bike was together.I don't know what you mean here! Nothing is connected? The wires are completely torn out of the bike? Or what?If there's nothing wrong with the wires why are you replacing them? Did you use a multimeter or are you going by looks? And if you're planning on replacing the wires, do you have new connectors to crimp on the ends?Why would you want to? If your lights worked before you changed the struts and they didn't work after then it's something you did! You're barking up the wrong tree and asking for trouble by messing with the EHC connector. A multimeter will tell you everything you need to know...

Dennis

PS Got any pics of what you're working on?

Honestly, I'm still lost!

Looks like you already ordered the LED but check the voltage with a multimeter as DRBarnhart says above. Let's start there, and I highly doubt its the 6 pin connector that runs from the tail light harness to the EHC if it worked prior to changing out your struts.:up: Touch one to power and other to your ground when bike is turned on see if you got juice going all the way out at the tail light.

Also, you mentioned something about crimping the wires. After just rewiring my tail light harness I would advise soldering and using shrink wrap. Your not going to get a good connection any other way.

boomer4444

thanks for the help guys, found the problem, ground wire coming out of 6 pin connecter was broke, replaced connecter and rewired all wires coming out of 6pin and back to taillights and all is good now!!!wow i just reread some of my posts,,must have been in panic mode and fearing ehc was problem,, not a good feeling thinking that i would have to do the wires plus now instead of january!thanks again

DRBarnhart

Insert title here...
thanks for the help guys, found the problem, ground wire coming out of 6 pin connecter was broke, replaced connecter and rewired all wires coming out of 6pin and back to taillights and all is good now!!!
Glad to hear it! Way to stick with the troubleshooting Jason!! :2thumbs:
wow i just reread some of my posts,,must have been in panic mode and fearing ehc was problem,, not a good feeling thinking that i would have to do the wires plus now instead of january!
More than a couple of folks have jumped to the conclusion that their problem was the EHC, installed the WP, and then still had the real problem to fix afterward. The reality is that a majority of the Big Dogs out there are happily cruising down the road with their original EHCs and have never had a problem...

Happy riding!!! :cheers:

Dennis

PAUL NOBBS

Hi I need a new rear LED cluster red running light/indicator/brake . . . and my original Bulldog has 4 wires red/yellow/orange/black - All the new light clusters have 3 wires WHY???? So how does that work for my current bike with 4 wires to connect

PAUL NOBBS

I noticed you were from the UK so I looked up Axel from Electronikbox.de. Axel Joost is one of our members and is very accessible. Give him a PM and he will be able to help you. This is his site and I'm pretty sure this is the LED Insert you are looking for. https://www.elektronikbox.de/shop/i...oduct_info&cPath=7&products_id=10&language=en
Great thanks very much very helpful Mike I will contact Axel now. his EHC i bought a while back was awesome it transformed my Dog - now very reliable