Pros/Cons with S&S 88ci 4.25 stroke engine?

liferider

Looking forward to retirement
Not big enough, not that much more you can jump up to a 117'' or a 124''. For the same price as the 88'' you can climb into a 145 RevTech

BigDogRick

These were used in the 1999-2000 Indian re-birth and were hard mounted to what I think was a very flexible frame. I had two good friends that rode one and one of them was in my garage for six months. I rode it around AZ, NM, and CO for several thousand miles. It is one rough running motor. Old timers I met and knew would always laugh when they saw it had the 88 and would say "I wonder why they picked a motor that will vibrate your teeth out?". I have to admit, those bikes vibrated themselves apart.

john sachs

If you're looking for some power, that motor won't provide it. :bang: And yes, X-ray doc is in the ballpark power wise.
Get an Ultima, it won't break the bank, and it WILL make all the power you want. :eek:
John

SixString

I'm stuck working with the 88 that's on the bike. And yes, I know well the vibration with this particular engine. But, for me, it's a bar hopper. I rarely ride more that a couple hundred miles a day. Poker Runs, bike nights, etc. When I bought the bike, I was told it had the 107. I noticed it lacked power, but assumed it just needed a good tuning. Live and learn. :bang:

BigDogRick

That's right. The 107 was such a huge improvement. Of course it is a cruising motor - specially developed for mileage and I can attest it does that very well. I suppose it is a fairly simple swap but if, as you say, its gonna be a bar hopper you might as well go for the gusto like John suggests. On the other hand, it's not all bad to stick with the old school motor and ride it proudly. No shame in riding what you got.

Peckerwood

Sometimes I think HP is generally over rated. Most of us don't use all we have, anyway (except for short bursts). I think the 88's good depending on what it's mounted in. That is to say, how light is the bike, and how well is it set up to handle the horsepower at your disposal? Brute force is useless unless it can be applied efficiently. I owned one of those aforementioned '99 Indians with the 88 S&S. It was a lighter set-up than my Mastiff, and I never found myself wanting more HP than I had, and I rode it HARD. As for the vibration-no worse than my Mastiff.

SixString

I wonder if my 88 is a twin cam motor like the ones HD put out starting in 1999. Oh no, I am very proud of my little pit. Its fairly stripped down, and chopped out. Nice stance. (Wish I could post pics). I'm just trying to get a handle on what I have to work with. One day I hope to build "the bike of my dreams", but for now I'm digging my little Pitbull!

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
I wonder if my 88 is a twin cam motor like the ones HD put out starting in 1999. Oh no, I am very proud of my little pit. Its fairly stripped down, and chopped out. Nice stance. (Wish I could post pics). I'm just trying to get a handle on what I have to work with. One day I hope to build "the bike of my dreams", but for now I'm digging my little Pitbull!
Send them to me in an e-mail and I'll be glad to post them for you:up:

Srb88042

I managed 97 hp 95 ft lbs out of one of these. With a W6h woods cam, a new set of lifters, and a thunderheader. It has a stage 3 Barnett clutch which is great. They are built for over 100 setup from the factory. A set of forged rocker arms, and a set of .010 over higher compression pistons will put you over 100

Attachments