Nitrous Oxide

Scooter33

Is any one running Nitrous Oxide on a dog with a 117? Looking for some info on systems and jetting. What type of hp gains can I expect without damaging the motor? I am thinking about a 25 hp shot of nos.

liferider

Looking forward to retirement
Sounds like you need a crotch Rocket. These bikes are great. But there not going to set a speed record or run a 1/4 mile run on a chopper and beat a crotch rocket . Too many things can go wrong! It's not worth it. Bolt on some power, cam up, put a big bore kit on. But leave the nitrous alone! Bad stuff

Brew

Troop Supporter
Yeah you might want to PM a member named "toadstool" on this one! He's tossed some cashloa out on his scoot after something went wrong. He was and still might be running NOS, I'm not for sure anymore...

liferider

Looking forward to retirement
One other thing about running NO3. The engine it's self has to be able to handle it. Pistons, connecting rods. Also valves and heads. Porting is a big issue. Remember with horse power a motor must be able to breath and exhale. When NO3 is used, one of the major melt down things are. Head damage due to valves being to small. Piston melt down and destroyed due to predetenation, also the connecting rods not able to handle the slam of compression going so extreme. Watched a friend set up a 289 mustang engine that was a solid 400 HP engine throw 2 pistons through the block after a simple 4 second burst of Nitrous. Is a $6000.00 engine really worth the risk. If you truly want more power. Send your heads to Kendal Johnson, get his big bore kit and his cam & piston set up. Also have him deck the heads .010, do a port and polish on them as well. this should put 25-30 HP safely on your bike for about $2500. And it is done correctly!

ChoppaNoob

If you value your bike at all, not worth it the risk. Better off getting a crotch rocket to go fast and handle the twisties.

KnotSo

Admin
Staff member
Over the years I have met several hound owners with NOS and every one of them said it was all for show and not one had ever used it.

I recently had a suzuki in line 4 motor built as a nitrous motor and while it cost a lot more, it will pay off in the long run. Our big inch v-twin motors are not built for the "reaction" that occurs when the button is pushed. But it does bring instant respect when you see a bottle on a scoot.

Let us know what you decide :choppersmiley::choppersmiley:

john sachs

I've been involved with N2O since 1987, we've set some records along the way, my oldest son has 3 Pro-Mod world championships using it, and my daughter-in-law, not only being the ADRL's fastest and quickest female drag racer (4.02 @ 180.41 mph) has had 1 PMX world championship with N2O. There's some combined experience here.
1- The sky is the limit on power production.
2- Street use, with most power adders, N2O included, the engine doesn't care about valve size, head porting, or big cams.
3- Like anything else, "too much of a good thing can get you, or your engine n trouble (parts breakage).
4- If you keep the jetting, and timing spot on, your engine will live for a very long time. (As long as stock).
5- S&S components are CERTAINALLY strong enough to handle a reasonable load of N2O.
6- DON'T use the little 10 0z. bottle systems.
Hope this clears up any myths, or "I think" statements. If your breaking parts you ARE doing something wrong.
You need to follow the manufacturer's directions, and ask questions on what you DON'T understand.
John :2thumbs:
Oh by the way, !!!!!! I have a number of V-Twins on juice roaming around.

Attachments

Last edited:

john sachs

I've been involved with N2O since 1987, we've set some records along the way, my oldest son has 3 Pro-Mod world championships using it, and my daughter-in-law, not only being the ADRL's fastest and quickest female drag racer (4.02 @ 180.41 mph) has had 1 PMX world championship with N2O. There's some combined experience here.
1- The sky is the limit on power production.
2- Street use, with most power adders, N2O included, the engine doesn't care about valve size, head porting, or big cams.
3- Like anything else, "too much of a good thing can get you, or your engine n trouble (parts breakage).
4- If you keep the jetting, and timing spot on, your engine will live fr a very long time.
5- S&S components are CERTAINALLY strong enough to handle a reasonable load of N2O.
6- DON'T use the little 10 0z. bottle systems.
Hope this clears up any myths, or I think statements. If your breaking parts you ARE doing something wrong.
You need to follow the manufacturer's directions, and ask questions on what you DON'T understand.
John :2thumbs:
Oh y the way, !!!!!! I have a number of V-Twins on juice roaming around.
More pics.
John

Attachments

Scooter33

Thank you all for the information. I am still on the fence about it but I was looking for the pros and cons of NOS and what others had experience with like milling the juggs etc. . If I go for it I will keep the NOS to a minimum and most likely have it installed. Some friends recommended Shuemaker racing and another shop in here in Ohio. I just had a 590 Woods cam installed a few weeks age and I am very happy with it. I might increase the intermediate jet to a 32 from a 31. I ran into some starting issues like excessive turn over and backfire through the carb. Turns out that the battery was hitting 11 volts under load. So I bought a Shorai lithium battery. Changed the plugs took care of that issue. Live and learn.

Brew

Troop Supporter
Thank you all for the information. I am still on the fence about it but I was looking for the pros and cons of NOS and what others had experience with like milling the juggs etc. . If I go for it I will keep the NOS to a minimum and most likely have it installed. Some friends recommended Shuemaker racing and another shop in here in Ohio. I just had a 590 Woods cam installed a few weeks age and I am very happy with it. I might increase the intermediate jet to a 32 from a 31. I ran into some starting issues like excessive turn over and backfire through the carb. Turns out that the battery was hitting 11 volts under load. So I bought a Shorai lithium battery. Changed the plugs took care of that issue. Live and learn.
See that fella named "john sachs" he's a damn fine machinist and has done some machining for several members on here. I'd suggest you hit him up for some good advice. He won't steer ya wrong! :2thumbs:

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
Just a question because I don't know. Are you going to make sure the drive train is going to be able to handle the additional HP/torq? I am thinking your clutch may slip if not setup perfectly/upgraded and you won't be going anywhere anytime soon when that happens.

outdoorsman26

not sure if its available for bikes but there is a "wet" N2O Ive seen it used on sleds out west and they run it all the way up the friggen mountains!! now this is on 2-strokes and I'm not sure bout the fitments for the four strokes maybe John can shed more light on this than I can???

john sachs

Wet systems are what we use. IMO, they'll make MORE power than the others. They are the most common for all installs. :2thumbs:
John

john sachs

My oldest son, and daughter in law's Pro Extreme / Pro - Mod bike, made the cover bike on the 2014 Nitrous Express catalog. :2thumbs:
John

Attachments