Motor Started Running Real Rough

Energy One

BBChopper

Supports 2 Disabled Vets
Troop Supporter

One more check your gas caps make sure one is venting negative pressure.
That's a good point, I had the vent issue but it was shutting down and rather quick. It finally did it when Ray and I where running up A1A and he had me loosen the cap you could hear the air rush back in the tank and shazam it was fixed.:2thumbs:

stephencs

RIP Brother
Finally Fixed

Hello Gang:
Well the bike is fixed, out of the shop for a couple of weeks now. I could write a book on what we found but will try to jus keep to the facts. Why the engine failed? 1. Bad or no engine break in. Apparently bike was hot rodded right out of the box. I bought bike with 2000 miles already on it and had no idea.2. Rings never set, cylinders were tapered and so shiny inside like chrome gold, 3. valve guides had 5 times the clearance from spec and were oval shaped from misalignment of TP rocker boxes.4. Found 565 competition cam instead of S&S.5. Valves were to small for big inch motor causeing excessive heat. 6. S&S E carb instead of G. S&S recommends G carb on anything over 100in. What we did to fix it? Shit canned everything that was not S&S. Replace rocker boxes, covers, cam, pistons, carb etc. Intake had to be replaced as cylinders were cut down from "emissions length". Sorry I don't have all the spec's or clearances for you guys but does it really matter? Here's my 2 cents worth. I just spent $4000 to fix a $9000 motor because it wasn't broke in correctly and had a bunch of shit parts in and on it. The motor was configured so choked back that in fact it was built to self destruct. According to S&S this motor was probably putting out between 50 to 60 HP the way it was configured. Had I known the motor was anything besides S&S I never would have bought the bike. That being said I'm in the 1000 mile break-in that S&S recommends, nothing over 2500 rpms for 1000 miles and bike feels wonderful. Hats off and many thanks to Paul Hannen of Hayward for the machine work and Greg Bahr @ Lucky's Garage in Patterson for the wrenching and countless number of phone calls. I think this puts this thread to bed.:flag::flag::flag:

Thanks for the update Stephen. Glad your up and running now, after a few months of riding you'll forget all about the 4gs and enjoy riding again.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
although there have been problems with the '05 motors w/ the TP boxes, most have gotten good service out of them with the proper break-in. some, in the same configuration as yours, have gone 90k and still going. of course, they have had to have maintenance done to them but that break-in period is the most critical time of the motors life. glad to hear you are back on the road.

Srodden

Thanks for checking back with all the repair info it really a adds to this site and helps to educate members here :2thumbs:

spadesluck

My stock 05 put down 92 rwhp on the dyno. Yours must have had some serious problems right out of the box. Maybe it was built on a Friday? :lol:

Anyways, yes our 05's were like the bastard children. Everything just like you mentioned what you changed just choked our motors. However I got 22k out of mine before tearing into it to upgrade. To bad you had to go through that. Regardless now you can ride again, live and learn I suppose. :up: