How bad is this?

slamaking

Ranger the F*ck up!
I got home from work and noticed this. Not sure what is causing it. I could sure use some help.

narow37

Angry Southern White Man
is the stuff on the lobe side of the belt? my first thought was a slight leak from the trans drain elbow. second thought is bearing failure on trans letting fluid leak through. anybody else got an idea.

MARV

is the stuff on the lobe side of the belt? my first thought was a slight leak from the trans drain elbow. second thought is bearing failure on trans letting fluid leak through. anybody else got an idea.
if the drive pulley nut is loose then the seal behind it will leak trans oil.

stuff looks like mud! :eek:

Mad Dog

ValueTeck Enterprises
Check all your fluid levels then clean it off good and take it for a short ride and see what it looks like. It could be just road crap. Lets Hope!

slamaking

Ranger the F*ck up!
Check all your fluid levels then clean it off good and take it for a short ride and see what it looks like. It could be just road crap. Lets Hope!
Thanks man. That is what I was planning on doing. I hope you are right.

chopsteak

Mine did that same thing except my fluid looked like some kind of tropical liquor drink (Redline Shockproof). It was a bad seal and was covered under warranty. Man, that fluid looks bad, real bad.

rwill20

Looks like your seal under drive pully has took a dump,at least that was the problem when mine looked like that.

slamaking

Ranger the F*ck up!
Thanks for the help guys. I cleaned it up and looked around a bit, what I could, and then took her for a ride. She still spit oil everywhere. So, I dropped her off at the local authorized Big Dog service department. They just called and said that Big Dog recommends the starter and seal be replaced. P&L $613. Good times, good times. I need to learn how to work on this thing a little more.

ALO

You shoud have gotten a second opinion if you took your bike to the shop off of Sunbeam good luck (haha). Do yourself a favor and go to Chopper City off of College in Orange Park they are cheaper and once they fix it you are done they dont jack around. I could have sworn I had given that advice but ohwell like Gasman says why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike.

K9husker

On the output side of the transmission there are two seals. One is a stand seal the presses into the housing and an O-Ring that goes in the housing after that. BD says these seals are prone to fail. Sounds like you need to replace both and add Redline oil.

Vegas

With a starter leak it can runn across the tranny and look like a transmission seal issue. If it was tranny the output gear would be wet and more than likely the belt.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Yeah I'm concerned if it truely is the starter... think about it... why would the oil run to the right side. The bike don't lean that way on the kickstand. However, if the output shaft of the tranny is leaking and you then leaned it over if could drip towards the primary.

Guess we'll see....

Thanks for the help guys. I cleaned it up and looked around a bit, what I could, and then took her for a ride. She still spit oil everywhere. So, I dropped her off at the local authorized Big Dog service department. They just called and said that Big Dog recommends the starter and seal be replaced. P&L $613. Good times, good times. I need to learn how to work on this thing a little more.
Sorry to hear about the bad luck. Keep us posted on the outcome.

ALO

Yeah I'm concerned if it truely is the starter... think about it... why would the oil run to the right side. The bike don't lean that way on the kickstand. However, if the output shaft of the tranny is leaking and you then leaned it over if could drip towards the primary.

Guess we'll see....
I am telling you this place likes to replace shit when they dont know what the hell is going on. They give you your bike back and it is not leaking and then holy shit it starts leaking again.:confused: then they find another part they can replace and after another 600.00:spank: it repeats itself:spank: Send me a PM I will try and help you out.:up:

Cynbahd

If it is trans fluid most likley your o-ring seal that sits in front of the belt pulley spacer. Had to replace mine about a week ago. It is a small o-ring that sits in the grooved end of the spacer and prevents fluid from leaking out. Good Luck.

RRRUFF

The leak I had was caused by a allen head screw that was located top right of the trans pulley. It was loose and had no thread sealer on it. Removed cleaned, applied thread tape, installed. No problem so far!