Homemade dipstick

mleach72

On these bikes, it's very hard to tell where the oil level is because there is no dipstick. If you have passenger pegs, it's difficult to even see in the filler tube. I fashioned homemade dipstick years ago, and I use it all the time. I don't know if anyone has made something like this, but I figured I would post it. It's actually very simple to make using a straw and a couple peices of tape. First you need to know exactly how much oil your tank takes from empty to full. On my bike, I know this is 3.5 quarts to the bottom of the fill tube, which is also what the manual states. Whatever your amount is, add one quart less. Run the motor for a few minutes to warm the oil. Take a straw and wrap a piece of tape near the top to give you a reference point. Put the straw in the tank and put the bottom edge of the tape against the top of the fill tube. Pull the straw out and cut the straw at the oil line. The bottom of the straw will be your "down a quart" mark. Next, add 1 quart of oil. Put the straw in the tank, and wrap a piece of tape so the bottom of the tape is at the oil level. When you are done, you should have a straw with two pieces of tape. The bottom of the straw is down 1 quart. The bottom of the lower piece of tape is full.

what?

i've taken a pair of scissors and cut thin strips of cardboard to measure the oil height