Gas Lid

ALA BIG DOG

If I fill the gas tank while holding the bike upright the put the gas cap on and set it back on the kick stand gas will run out of the tank around the cap. Checked the cap and it looks good. All the dealer said was not to fill the tank so full. Is this normal for the Big Dog Mastiff? I have been riding bikes all my life and never had one do this.

barhopper

Another round please
That can't be right. Something seems cracked or something. Thats like saying my arm hurts when I bend it, then don't bend it, problem solved. Lame.

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
If I fill the gas tank while holding the bike upright the put the gas cap on and set it back on the kick stand gas will run out of the tank around the cap. Checked the cap and it looks good. All the dealer said was not to fill the tank so full. Is this normal for the Big Dog Mastiff? I have been riding bikes all my life and never had one do this.
Under your paint saver ring is a thick rubber gasket. It could have been kinked with they installed it. Otherwise your cap is leaking past the vent. Don't fill it so full unless you are heading down the hwy.

:cheers:

slowrower

2007 Mastiff
Under your paint saver ring is a thick rubber gasket. It could have been kinked with they installed it. Otherwise your cap is leaking past the vent. Don't fill it so full unless you are heading down the hwy.

:cheers:
Just had this on a friends scoot where the tank bung unscrewed which is glued (or was) glued in with a rubber gasket. Bet your gasket is bad like ray said or kinked.

V

Guru
Fill the bike up while on the kickstand. No problem.

And/or did you remove the vent from the gas cap? If so gas can leak back thru.

Either way the gas can make your paint fug up and bubble:eek:

And one other note. For some reason some of the 08 paint saver look like they are not seting flat to the paint. Somebody posted about this and why BD did it but I not sure who. It was done when they went to a different paint saver

V

ALA BIG DOG

It still has the factory gas cap. I just got the bike labor day week. I will check the gasket and get back.

Vegas

The dealer is absolutely right. You can't top them off like that. As the bike get's hot the fuel expands and it will come out of the vent if overfilled.

TSDAWG

Yes, it's mine.
Calendar Participant
Sorry ALA, but this sounds like that old saying, "It hurts when I do this." Just stop doing it.

dogvet

Banned
The gas cap inserts are JB welded in place (epoxy) Rarely is the spiggot in the tank welded squarely into the tank and the rubber seal sometimes doesn't even seat all the way around. They use the epoxy to try to seal the tank saver (at least they used to). I know they are a bitch to get out!

Mach_1

The dealer is absolutely right. You can't top them off like that. As the bike get's hot the fuel expands and it will come out of the vent if overfilled.
You are right Vegas about the gas expanding when hot and leaking, I had it happen to me, I filled up the bike on the way to work one hot August day and when I came out for lunch there was a puddle of gas and it was flowing out of the gas cap, I had to take the cap off to relieve the pressure. I then put the cap back on and emptied my water bottle on the tank and went straight home and gave the dog a bath, needless to say I was pissed and late getting back to work. :bang:

ALA BIG DOG

I had this happen as soon as I put gas in the tank and and set it back on the kick stand it was running out faster then it went in. The secound time it happened I put gas in with it on the kisk stand moved it from the pump to a parking spot for a break and the the parking spot was on a slope it started running out again.

Eric

Banned
mine leaked to

my 07 pitbull started the same thing @ 500 mile service dealer ordered new bung & replaced it, noticed some type of epoxy under bung, cleaned & reinstalled with green loctite, seems to seal fine now, only rode about 125 miles since repair

Vegas

Gas shouldn't run out. Take it back and make them fix it
Wrong...the gas cap is the vent in the system. It's not a discriminating valve so it doesn't care if it's vapor or fluid. Moral of the story: Don't top it off to the brim. Especially if it's going sit after filling.

ALA BIG DOG

Gas is running out around the insert. Big Dog has been having the problem alot. As soon as I told them of the problem they knew what the problem was it has happened alot. The only problem is it is a 2 week turn around.

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Gas is running out around the insert. Big Dog has been having the problem alot. As soon as I told them of the problem they knew what the problem was it has happened alot. The only problem is it is a 2 week turn around.
I think your still over filling the tank though! :D

BigDognSoCal

That sounds like great service...2 week turn from the factory, good news...Fill it 3/4 until you can spare 2 weeks down...Way to go Big Dog!:up:

Fibersnake

Banjo Playing PsychoBilly
I have had mine flow out of the gas caps also, but as many have indicated on here, it was due to topping off too much and then gas expanding or level going to one side while on stand and thus out the vetn. Normally will not top it off so much if I know that I will be shutting it down shortly. Will push the envelope more if I am out on a ride and want the extra comfort just in case, but then again I am burning it up before allowing the excess to vent while sitting.

Maybe coming out past the bung gasket, but regardless if it is topped off too much, it will come out the vent of the cap. Good idea always to have red rag handy when filling up regardless if it leaks or not, just in case in order to lessen fuel spills staying on paint longer than needed.