Custom Sissy Bar Questions

joker9r

Hey dudes, I thought I'd ask you a couple questions about custom sissy bars... What material have you used for Rod Stock? I'd like to just go aluminum, but I'd think that would be to soft for a functional sissy bar... ole lady leaning on it & luggage hanging off it, know what I mean? Also, have you ever painted or powder coated one? Will the paint or powder coat hold up to the flex in the bar? Thanks!

BadBrad

2005 Pitbull
Can't say I've ever seen one painted. Why not use a stainless steel rod? You can also use carbon steel or cast iron and have it chromed. But I'm with you on aluminium being too soft for passengers or heavy luggage. Anything you do has got to be cheaper than buying new. Keep you eye on Ebay too. These come and go.

joker9r

Can't say I've ever seen one painted. Why not use a stainless steel rod? You can also use carbon steel or cast iron and have it chromed. But I'm with you on aluminium being too soft for passengers or heavy luggage. Anything you do has got to be cheaper than buying new. Keep you eye on Ebay too. These come and go.
I think one is available on ebay right now but I like building and modifying my own add-on's when possible. I cant help but think 5/8 guage carbon still would have to be stiff enough for paint or powder, for a 16" - 18" tall rise. Eh, we'll see and of coarse I'll post my final product. I know I'm getting a little critical here but by using a carbon or stainless steel... once the paint or powder wears down and metal to metal contact is made... it'll start fretting (corroding) due to the dissimilar metals.... the aluminum struts and steel sissy bar.... I should probably just stop being so damn critical and just bend some damn steal and get er done!

1mndg

RIDE IT HARD!!!
Worked for an aluminum co for 25 yrs. Aluminum is stronger than you think if you pick up the right stuff and it has been aged right. It can also be painted, powder coated or anodized to any color you want.

BWG56

Guru
Worked for an aluminum co for 25 yrs. Aluminum is stronger than you think if you pick up the right stuff and it has been aged right. It can also be painted, powder coated or anodized to any color you want.
is Alcoa still out in Cresona?

joker9r

I know there's tons of alloys that are very strong but price increases substantially the harder the material. Just thought I'd check to see if any one has went down this path with some lessons learned..

myblackhd

I did make a few parts for my Harley from 316L Stainless rod. I had a sissy bar, a set of tails coming out of the bottom of my rear fender in the shape of a devils tail, and some spikes in place of the old license plate holder on my old Road King. After welding and annealing the parts it was a bit of a bitch polishing them, but once they were done they were about as bright as aluminum wheels. Chroming them would have been the answer for a better shine.

BBChopper

Supports 2 Disabled Vets
Troop Supporter
It aint 5/8", something like 11/32 plus chrome. It's an odd size. I have made several for looks out of 5/8" though.:2thumbs:

jimizee028

TRUE COLORS COLLISION
I painted mine black with a coat of black DP50,then enough black basecoat to get hiding or coverage and then cleared it with PPG clearcoat and thats been 3 years ago and I have absolutely no issues with it whatsoever

BWG56

Guru
It aint 5/8", something like 11/32 plus chrome. It's an odd size. I have made several for looks out of 5/8" though.:2thumbs:
From 07' up the diameter is .685-.688 or 11/16", chrome is usually no more than .0002-,0005 and thats heavy. However 11/32 or .352 is just a tad thin, but thats ok BB, I had one of these nights 2 days ago.:whoop::2thumbs:

2004BC

FREEDOM!!!
Hey dudes, I thought I'd ask you a couple questions about custom sissy bars... What material have you used for Rod Stock? I'd like to just go aluminum, but I'd think that would be to soft for a functional sissy bar... ole lady leaning on it & luggage hanging off it, know what I mean? Also, have you ever painted or powder coated one? Will the paint or powder coat hold up to the flex in the bar? Thanks!
I've made one off sissy bars from 5/8" and 3/4" 303 Stainless steel rod. Heats up and bends fine. Easy to TIG and with a bit of high speed polishing with the right rouges, ends up looking like chrome. Good luck!:cheers: