Transmission

Energy One

Tallen354

Hello, My 2006 k9 will not shift past 2nd gear. Im trying to do work myself because last feb I had bike in shop and they "rebuilt" transmission. I dont want them working on bike again . but I maybe in over my head. Ive read alot of threads but still a little lost. I have shift drum out and forks out. Hell I dont even know the question Im asking.
Aggravated in houston.

Attachments

Little-Boo

Troop Supporter
I have a used transmission with about 2000 miles on it. It came off my 2006 Mastiff which I still have with a total of 2722 miles on it. If your interested let me know.
SOLD SOLD SOLD

Carlos :moped:

Last edited:

pauly

You should check simple things first before going into the tranny.

Check and lubricate ham joints on shifter rod.
Make sure shifter rod is adjusted properly.
Make sure gear pedal springs back each way far enough and the pawl free play is adjusted.

Put the drum and forks back in an try again to shift through the gears without motor running,bike on jack
so you can spin the rear wheel by hand while shifting and the top cover off so you can see what is happening.

Paul.

Mikeinjersey

Hello, My 2006 k9 will not shift past 2nd gear. Im trying to do work myself because last feb I had bike in shop and they "rebuilt" transmission. I dont want them working on bike again . but I maybe in over my head. Ive read alot of threads but still a little lost. I have shift drum out and forks out. Hell I dont even know the question Im asking.
Aggravated in houston.
I just noticed you have this posted on 2 different threads and your a new member!
Welcome from NJ ! Go to the introduction forum when you get a chance and say Hello to all the members.

Look for a physical reason for the (sliding members) gears to not slide easily especially the countershaft. If you can, try to verify the shop put it back together correctly by looking for missing or misplaced parts or chunks of metal. If all looks well and moves nicely put it back together and make sure the shift pawl adjustment is correct. I'm assuming because of the pictures it's already on the bench. If not, do what Pauly suggested.

Tallen354

You should check simple things first before going into the tranny.

Check and lubricate ham joints on shifter rod.
Make sure shifter rod is adjusted properly.
Make sure gear pedal springs back each way far enough and the pawl free play is adjusted.

Put the drum and forks back in an try again to shift through the gears without motor running,bike on jack
so you can spin the rear wheel by hand while shifting and the top cover off so you can see what is happening.

Paul.
Thanks for advice , I havent taken the transmission of bike yet.

Tallen354

I just noticed you have this posted on 2 different threads and your a new member!
Welcome from NJ ! Go to the introduction forum when you get a chance and say Hello to all the members.

Look for a physical reason for the (sliding members) gears to not slide easily especially the countershaft. If you can, try to verify the shop put it back together correctly by looking for missing or misplaced parts or chunks of metal. If all looks well and moves nicely put it back together and make sure the shift pawl adjustment is correct. I'm assuming because of the pictures it's already on the bench. If not, do what Pauly suggested.
Thank you and I posted intro when I first sign up .

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for advice , I havent taken the transmission of bike yet.
Well since you got the pillow block off already, do the forks move by hand easily across the shaft? If so put the pillow back on and see if it sticks again in 2nd gear and look at the shifter pawl and see what it is doing you may just need to do a minor adjustment.

I have a used transmission with about 2000 miles on it. It came off my 2006 Mastiff which I still have with a total of 2722 miles on it. If your interested let me know.

Hi bud do you think you could help a fellow Big dog owner all the way from south africa out... I'm in desperate need of a drivetrain transmission I would def buy it from you.. i have a 2006 ridgeback bigdog. My email address is Baronb454@gmail.com any help what's so ever would be so appiciated

Sven

Forks:

Gear dogs/slots:

Fork Drum:
When you miss a gear going in and it pops out, it's your sloppy foot not timed; and the gear never slots in or the gear is so bad at the dogs; it can't hold the gear in and the torque pops the gear out and the forks take a bend; flex and those are the wrinkle marks. Right at the U tips, these hold the gear in so deep. Shave those tips off, the gear can float with the missing clearance gone, pops out, and ruins the tips of the dogs.

Gears:
In the one gear row, find the largest gear. That's 1st gear. Find the second largest gear on the same shaft. That's 2nd gear and so on.
So gear dog wise, those have to be sharp, not round at the ends. On one of your photos, 'A' looks pretty good, so that does not mean someone missed second a lot. But inspection is making sure they are not torn up. Rub both hands together... which stayed cold. So when part-A meets part-B, it is equal damage. A is inserted into B and when they line up and go in, some tag and those tips are chewed up so look at both when inspecting part into part, part rolling with part, etc.

If you shot that one gear tooth that is all torn up, no, normal wear. Your oil pump gears go thru the same debris crushing when it floats in the trans oil.

Drum:
Inspection for this puppy is to note the channels, but look at the staggered V curves. Those wear down. If those wear down, who causes the matching wear? See the short dowels of the fork in the channels? These are what you are looking for wear as well.

Springs:
Those obviously break and you could not grab any gear, or may be stuck in gear, can only shift one way, etc.
Could be something as simple as a shift adjustment. Someone might pop that thread up. But this is your start looking for problems. If you can look down at the bottom of the trans case, how much sparkles back at you?

HMAN

I just like my Freedom
Hi bud do you think you could help a fellow Big dog owner all the way from south africa out... I'm in desperate need of a drivetrain transmission I would def buy it from you.. i have a 2006 ridgeback bigdog. My email address is Baronb454@gmail.com any help what's so ever would be so appiciated
Take a look @ Ultima transmissions. Way cheaper and more reliable than overpriced Baker. Js

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Take a look @ Ultima transmissions. Way cheaper and more reliable than overpriced Baker. Js
But that won't swap in directly on later big dogs AFAIK. Otherwise we'd mostly be running them rather than trying to keep the damn bakers in tact.
Did I miss something here?

Nate Smith

Hi this Nate from Minneapolis MN with a 05 pitbull big dog you still have that transmission

Little-Boo

Troop Supporter
Sorry Nate, I sold it about 2 years ago. The only guy I know that can help you is Andrew Barnes at 607-727-8545. This guy is up in NY and knows the transmission like nobody else, he used to be a Transmission tech. He did a Rebuild for me for under $350 plus parts.

Good Luck

Carlos

rpols7

Hi this Nate from Minneapolis MN with a 05 pitbull big dog you still have that transmission
Hi Nate, I have a few upgraded used one, all have had the "off shore" bearings replaced at some point, off low milage wrecks. Most also have the upgraded main-shaft. Whats wrong with yours? Maybe I have what you need? You can email me if you like at rpols7@aol.com