the little black box on top of the battery

Energy One

RESBDHuskey

hello. i have a 2003 big dog husky that wont. start i have power and ive been told its the starter. i have 43000 plus on her, she's a rider not a sitter. never had a problem but a clutch, no bull. my problem is, one day, after putting her in the garage, turned her off and next day no start. i think its that box that sits on top of the battery, and does any one know where to find one? some one said it was my starter, but i dont want to tare it apart if i dont have to. ive chased down all the wiring and no loose connections. when i do push the starter switch on the handle bars, the lights dim. someone tried to jump the starter, like a Harley, but it wont turn over. but i tried that back when the clutch went out ten years ago and it didnt work then,
which a tried to tell the guys, but my starter relay, little red lite is not on, so im stumped. any real help will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

TapioK

hello i have a 2003 big dog husky that wont start i have power and ive been told its the starter i have 43000 plus on her shes a rider not a sitter never had a problem but a clutch no bull my problem is one day after putting her in the garage turned her off and next day no start i think its that box that sits on top of the battery and does any one know where to find one some one said it was my starter but i dont want to tare it apart if i dont have to ive chased done all the wiring and no loose connections when i do push the starter switch on the handle bars the lights dim someone tried to jump the starter like a harley but it wont turn over but i tried that back when the clutch went out ten years ago and it didnt work then which a tried to tell the guys but my starter relay little red lite is not on so im stumped any real help will be appreciated
I don’t want to be a dick, but I’ll borrow you some dots and commas............,,,,,,,,,, threw those around and make your post easier to read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
maybe that will help a little. I usually don't get into punctuation, but it sounds like he could really use a little help.

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
Yes, that little black box is your starter relay. Run a jumper from the start solnoid on top of the starter, and touch it to the battery, to test the starter. I think you can put a regular relay in there to make it work. I need to go through my notes to remember what I've done in the past. I'll get back to you.

They don't make the starter module anymore. It is not a common failure but it is not uncommon either.
The best thing to do is get rid of it all together and replace it with a couple of inline fuses and a couple of relays but it is more to get into than I prefer on an open forum. You can email me at wsworx@gmail.com and I can assist you with it if your interested.

Little-Boo

Troop Supporter
i think its that box that sits on top of the battery,.
Have you checked the battery, it's the big box under the little box that sits on top of the battery. Not trying to be a smart ass, just that you don't mention anything regarding how old the battery is. if your lights dim when you hit the switch could be that the battery is weak.

Carlos