The Bride of Frankenstein

EZ Dog

Years ago Timken would typically make about any special size bearings.you needed. I'm not sure that still true but worth looking into.

Keith

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Mr. Wright

Guru
Supporting Member
Years ago Timken would typically make about any special size bearings.you needed. I'm not sure that still true but worth looking into.

Keith

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
I just bored it out to fit the bearings I have in stock.
IMG_20211229_143708.jpg
IMG_20211229_151151_01.jpg
Of course, installing these, made the tube in the middle to short. So I just welded the end of the pipe, and cut it back down to length.
IMG_20211229_153102_01.jpg

Mr. Wright

Guru
Supporting Member
Well if it isn't one freaking thing it's something else. Finally found the triple trees I got about a year ago. Top tree has the 3* in it, but the bottom is 0*. Called The guy, and he thinks he still has the other two sets. Thinking maybe someone put them back in the wrong box.
IMG_20211230_093203.jpg
Then I'm looking at the swing arm on the new frame, and the slots haven't been machined to inset the axle.
IMG_20211230_155048.jpg

Mickmorris

mick
Supporting Member
Well if it isn't one freaking thing it's something else. Finally found the triple trees I got about a year ago. Top tree has the 3* in it, but the bottom is 0*. Called The guy, and he thinks he still has the other two sets. Thinking maybe someone put them back in the wrong box.
View attachment 94900
Then I'm looking at the swing arm on the new frame, and the slots haven't been machined to inset the axle.
View attachment 94901
On the flip side. If anyone can fix You Can! Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Th3InfamousI

Admin
Staff member
Supporting Vendor
View attachment 94900
View attachment 94901
That swingarm was designed for an axle with threads on both ends & nylock nuts on both sides. Take a look at this picture see how it's sticking out with a little cap?

1641078833193.png

Jersey Big Mike

That swingarm was designed for an axle with threads on both ends & nylock nuts on both sides. Take a look at this picture see how it's sticking out with a little cap?

View attachment 94989
I had an axle that used a nylock on one side not both.
I replaced it with an axle that had a hex head on one side (covered as shown in Eric's post) and a castle nut on the other side.
For me, this is not a location I really want a nylock that I will have to continually replace -- cotter pin is easier and cheaper.

Mickmorris

mick
Supporting Member
If you would have asked that last week, I would have said no, but I'd say we're looking at a 67.3% chance now.
Nice! That’s definitely an improvement over No! You guys probably not coming down for your birthday this year huh? I am thinking it’s coming up soon.

Unsprung

In the Potters hand...
It's been a good week for working in the shop. Just had a couple small jobs to do.
View attachment 95657
It took a couple days to figure out how to get the front caliper to work. Going to have to machine a new bracket.
View attachment 95658
Look what I found under the tank
View attachment 95659
Pardon my ignorance, but would you consider this more reliable than OEM? Is this what “old school wiring” looks like? Certainly neat and clean. Well done.

Mr. Wright

Guru
Supporting Member
Pardon my ignorance, but would you consider this more reliable than OEM? Is this what “old school wiring” looks like? Certainly neat and clean. Well done.
I pondered this wiring job the whole time I've been taking it apart. I am kind of torn on what they did. I will say it's a better job than what I did on my 03 when I built it. And when I put this bike back together I'll probably put it together the way I tore it apart. But as far as better than OEM big dog, no. Grant it, big dog could have used a little bigger wire, but there is nothing wrong with the OEM wiring. As long as you keep grease in the connectors, and the connectors secured to a solid mount with zip ties you'll have no problems.
Feel free to give me a call if you want to go in more depth on this.

Mr. Wright

Guru
Supporting Member
If it's not one thing it's another. I've measured this thing nine ways to Sunday. Got my measurements and going to stop and remeasure it tomorrow. Looks like I'm a quarter inch off from lining up the belt.
IMG_20220121_142518.jpg
IMG_20220121_142500.jpg
IMG_20220121_142314.jpg

Mickmorris

mick
Supporting Member

Th3InfamousI

Admin
Staff member
Supporting Vendor
If it's not one thing it's another. I've measured this thing nine ways to Sunday. Got my measurements and going to stop and remeasure it tomorrow. Looks like I'm a quarter inch off from lining up the belt.
View attachment 95699
View attachment 95700
View attachment 95701
That's the fun part! Keeps you on your toes! Just takes a minute and walking away and getting a fresh set of eyes on it later usually solves the problem.

That math adds up based on 1/2" narrower swing arm that means you got rim centered. Take the 1/4" off the left hub. Well you'll want to take a little more to center the belt on the pulley, so just whatever extra that might be based on pulley width. Probably an extra 1/16" or so? 0.3125" ish would probably do it?

You could drop to a 1-1/8" belt they should make one that size that you would need, if that's a stock Harley 32 tooth trans sprocket and 65 pulley? Just would look off with all the extra meat on the pulley all hanging on the outside/show side of the belt.

The rear swing arm is 1/2" narrower, but it looks like it will line up.
View attachment 95660
Engine and transmission are ready to pull and set in the other frame.
View attachment 95661
Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Last edited: