Starter leaking oil

Rase01

Well I new there was no oil in the starter yet if I ask the right question it might return the right answer
I checked the primary and it was over filled
Thanks for the right direction
Also I am interested in the up grade starter
Thanks
Rase01

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Vendor
Well I new there was no oil in the starter yet if I ask the right question it might return the right answer
Thanks
Rase01
Here is a link to the Billet Starter has a good description on the part with some good info.

There is also a short video highlighting the difference with some explanation on the product page above.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Mikeinjersey

Thanks
Rase01
Welcome from NJ
FYI the Billet Nose is probably better but HDM also offers the same starter with an oil relief machined into the housing. Not as pretty but serves the same purpose to stop oil from getting into the starter. It's inside your primary so Pretty really doesn't count too much and it's a lot less expensive. They also recommend using 20 oz of primary fluid when you do a normal primary maintenance and 24 oz if you removed the outside primary.
They also have starter rebuild parts if your so inclined. Give them a call for specific info they are very nice people.

Guy Camacho

Thank guys, I just had my transmission rebuild by Curtis at WSC , Awesome service , I replace all the o-rings , on both sides of the primary covers , new starter o-ring “4-side” , FYI if anyone out there thinking about this : take your time, be sure to line up the back primary case with the engine and transmission before you tighten down the transmission don’t forget the shims that were underneath the transmission “if any”, this help aline both drive pulley .. belt side,
After I completed assembling the transmission primary cover and It took about three times longer them most ... I added 24 ounces of oil in the primary case and filled the transmission with 20 oz. , I left it overnight , no leaks , took it for 30mile ride this morning, ... oil coming out from round the starter , that’s why I just ordered a new starter and I hope this solves my the problem .

Mikeinjersey

Thank guys, I just had my transmission rebuild by Curtis at WSC , Awesome service , I replace all the o-rings , on both sides of the primary covers , new starter o-ring “4-side” , FYI if anyone out there thinking about this : take your time, be sure to line up the back primary case with the engine and transmission before you tighten down the transmission don’t forget the shims that were underneath the transmission “if any”, this help aline both drive pulley .. belt side,
After I completed assembling the transmission primary cover and It took about three times longer them most ... I added 24 ounces of oil in the primary case and filled the transmission with 20 oz. , I left it overnight , no leaks , took it for 30mile ride this morning, ... oil coming out from round the starter , that’s why I just ordered a new starter and I hope this solves my the problem .
Sorry to be a downer but did you pull the starter and look at it first? With all the potential leak spots on the inner primary it is possible, even though you took great care putting your bike back together, that one of the O-rings didn't seat well. Or the vent got clogged and forced the fluid up to the starter or out of a seal. A new starter wont fix a leak. I would only replace or rebuild it if it got trashed by oil getting in. Just dirty is not trashed. A starter can be cleaned if it didn't get fried and you obviously have the skill set to pull the starter apart.

Guy Camacho

I hear you my brother but no , I put my fat head underneath that chassis and looked at all the back side O-rings between the engine and the transmission, it’s not leaking from any O-rings at all.. it is definitely the starter ..the Bike has 15,000 miles on it and the starter has never been rebuilt and I think the seals at the jack shaft is going bad and I got oil coming out of the starter I believe it’s time to replace the starter and with this new billet nose cone that these guys offer maybe it might be a time to do this I don’t like oil dripping all over my driveway ,

Mikeinjersey

I hear you my brother but no , I put my fat head underneath that chassis and looked at all the back side O-rings between the engine and the transmission, it’s not leaking from any O-rings at all.. it is definitely the starter ..the Bike has 15,000 miles on it and the starter has never been rebuilt and I think the seals at the jack shaft is going bad and I got oil coming out of the starter I believe it’s time to replace the starter and with this new billet nose cone that these guys offer maybe it might be a time to do this I don’t like oil dripping all over my driveway ,
I had to laugh at your " fat head underneath that chassis" comment. Can't hurt to have a nice new Healthy Starter in these bikes. Of course keep the old one as a backup. I blew the small gear inside and having my old cracked housing starter sitting there for parts made it a no hassle event.

My 07 k9 is leaking oil from the starter
Check your little breather screen on your primary. Mine was plugged up and I didn't even know it was there. I went through three starters.

I replaced the primary breather screen with a tube.
Hasn't leaked since.

Also don't overfill the primary.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Guy Camacho

Hey you guys , first of all thanks for all the advice , I believe I found the problem to my oil leaks , it was coming from the starter , The solenoid starter housing was cracked at one of the mounting bolts to the nosecone , and I was wrong , the starter is a rebuilt starter from BDM , My new starter should be here in a few days once I install and take it for test ride, I’ll let you guys know how it go’s , i’m still a little confused as to what is the accurate amount of oil to put in the primary case the 2006 and 2007 owners manual says 32 ounces , other bloggers I said 24 to 18 ounces that is a wide range .....
Ride safe stay safe

Attachments

Mickmorris

mick
Supporting Member
Hey you guys , first of all thanks for all the advice , I believe I found the problem to my oil leaks , it was coming from the starter , The solenoid starter housing was cracked at one of the mounting bolts to the nosecone , and I was wrong , the starter is a rebuilt starter from BDM , My new starter should be here in a few days once I install and take it for test ride, I’ll let you guys know how it go’s , i’m still a little confused as to what is the accurate amount of oil to put in the primary case the 2006 and 2007 owners manual says 32 ounces , other bloggers I said 24 to 18 ounces that is a wide range .....
Ride safe stay safe
Yep you sure found the problem. My manual says 32. I have found 32 to be the correct amount in my services. I seriously don’t think 18 is nearly enough.

Guy Camacho

Yeah I must agree I think I’m gonna stick with 24 ounces , I got my new starter this morning and put it in, took it for test drive about 40 miles .. no leaks no leaks , everything is good .
Happy holiday guys ride safe stay safe :)

I don't think that link is working so I've copied the Starter info from BDM.

Big Dog Starter info New Upgraded Big Dog Right Side Drive 2kw starter. All Big Dogs 2005 and Up This is not an ordinary stock BD starter with the oil infiltration issues and the weep hole that allows water and debris into your starter. We take a new starter, break it down, replace low grade seals with higher more durable grade, reinforce the starter motor grommet, double seal the DE starter clutch, seal the DE housing to the starter solenoid case and hand machine the oil return port into the DE Housing. If your looking for a completely stock starter with all the original issues they had then you've come to the wrong item because we don't like sending out warranty exchanges. If you would like a straight stock starter with no warranty then GO HERE. To assist in preventing primary oil infiltration in your starter, and to certify any warranty from WSW, then do not adhere to the BD service Manuals instructions of 32ozs. It is too much oil for the DSSC Primary. The DSSC is narrower and shorter than a softtail primary and does not need that much oil in it to keep the chain lubricated. Maintenance interval and Service Interval There are two types of schedules for your primary, Maintenance and Service. For a maintenance interval you will simply drain the oil and fill the primary back up again with 18 ozs. For a Service Interval you will remove the outer cover to facilitate checking all the components and making sure there are no issues. When you do this you will wipe out all the oil and put 24ozs back in. Why adhere to the above you ask? When you drain a DSSC primary you will not be able to extract all the oil. Inevitably there will be 4-6 ozs left in the primary. Do this once and now you have any where from 36-38 ozs of oil left in the primary. Why is this bad? Because now you have a washing machine in there and that oil WILL find it's way into your starter. If you have no weep holes, which you really shouldn't because they are avenues for water and dirt into your starter, then the starter will load up with oil and ultimately fail on you. If you do have weep holes then that oil will be a constant drip on to your garage floor as well as a constant spray all over the under side while riding your Big Dog.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk