Space heater suggestions

aspen874

My garage is around 550 sq. ft. The temperature in the winter is around 50 degrees. I'm looking for something that I can just plug in without doing any major mods to get me through the rest of the winter, anyone have any suggestions that may be worthwhile.

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
110 volt infared heater...i use them they dont burn alot of electric really....got different ones on ebay...everything from fireplace style to ceiling mount or wall mount...lower to the floor the better

Mastiff Rider64

Supporting Member
My garage is around 550 sq. ft. The temperature in the winter is around 50 degrees. I'm looking for something that I can just plug in without doing any major mods to get me through the rest of the winter, anyone have any suggestions that may be worthwhile.
550 sqft, but how tall? Is it insulated? All this will play into how you can heat it efficiently. I mean you could plug up one space heater and try but not sure you wouldnt burn it out from running it 24-7. You could buy 4 and plug them in and it may warm you up 5 degrees, but make your power bills more than double. Im kinda in the same boat as you but my garage is 900 sqft with 10 foot walls and at the top atthe higest point is close to 14 ft tall. And mines not insulated. I have 3 double eye propane tanks and 2 karosine heaters in there and honestly they do nothing. Just warms me up when i get close to one. I did find a guy with 500 piece of one inch foam board with a r-3.32 rating that will sell them for 10 dollars a piece. On my next 5 days off im going to go buy 70 of them and insulate my garage. Then plastic off the roof section for now. Its going to cost me about 1000 dollars total, but if or when i have to work out there ill be comfortable. And it wont take to long to heat hopefully.

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
Hey Stephen—Mine is 14X22, (308 sq.ft.), with an 8 foot cieling. Walls and cieling are well insulated. I just went to Costco and bought a couple of the $60 space heaters—they even oscillate. It’s an attached garage and stays at 45-50 degrees in there, so I have only had to use one heater when I’m out there working. I also have a Race Deck plastic grid floor, which seems to have an insulating effect on the concrete floor. So far so good In my first year here.

Minuteman

Supporting Member
Rick, I know you are looking for a short term situation, but you may want to consider something that is a little more a permenant opportunity you may want to look at a 12,000 btu ductless split which will give you heating and air conditioning. This type of unit will also save you energy over other type of heaters.

aspen874

Thank you both for the replies, my goal later this year is to install an LG split system for both heat and AC, but that's going to set me back around 3500.00. I think I will just try Rick's suggestion and buy a couple of inexpensive space heaters and see how that works.

awg

Guru
Since my garage is attached to the house....I tapped into my furnace and ran it into the garage. Nice and warm all winter.