Energy One

Shifting into neutral

1pos93

I have a 2007 Big Dog K-9 with about 27,000 miles on it. I've had it since December 2014. Had all the fluids changed on it, everything is tip top. My problem is when the motor is running I am having a very hard time shifting into neutral, which makes it difficult when stuck in traffic and such and I am holding in the clutch for that long. When the engine is turned off, it shifts into neutral normally. A little hard but not that bad. What kind of adjustment can be made to fix this or what needs to be done? What is causing this? I should be able to shift into neutral much easier. Any help would be most appreciated.

Sven

Clutch steels usually warp and tag the next friction when the lever is pulled in, the N is hard to find because of the drag at both baskets still not separated enough where creep can happen or an ankle brace is needed after finding N when running. Change the warp plates. Lay all the steels in the palm of the hand and look for daylight between the steels.

francoblay1

The Spaniard
I have a 2007 Big Dog K-9 with about 27,000 miles on it. I've had it since December 2014. Had all the fluids changed on it, everything is tip top. My problem is when the motor is running I am having a very hard time shifting into neutral, which makes it difficult when stuck in traffic and such and I am holding in the clutch for that long. When the engine is turned off, it shifts into neutral normally. A little hard but not that bad. What kind of adjustment can be made to fix this or what needs to be done? What is causing this? I should be able to shift into neutral much easier. Any help would be most appreciated.
It´s the nature of the Beast... a quick couple blips on the throttle while pushing it up into N will do it just fine. "Practice makes Perfect" :oldthumbsup:

Or, if your clutch is out of order, try this: http://www.bigdogbiker.com/threads/how-to-adjust-your-clutch-05-and-newer.2025/

mittens

I just wanted something differnt, and mine was not even that bad to find N.

But now I have a N1 shift drum and its awesome, N all the way down. never any guesing

Eduardo Hernandez

Man this thread is funny but informative. I am having an issue on downshifting. I can shift up with no problem but when I down shift it only drops one lower gear than the one its on. For example, if I am in 5th gear it'll drop too 4th easily but the rest I have to continue to attempt and at times it works and others it's not until last minute when I drop all the way to first. Any suggestions what this could be? Thanks in advance.

Eduardo Hernandez

Man this thread is funny but informative. I am having an issue on downshifting. I can shift up with no problem but when I down shift it only drops one lower gear than the one its on. For example, if I am in 5th gear it'll drop too 4th easily but the rest I have to continue to attempt and at times it works and others it's not until last minute when I drop all the way to first. Any suggestions what this could be? Thanks in advance.

Also, I forgot to mention, when I shift up I used to be able to feel the gears click in but now it feels soft but still go in with no issues.

bikeone

Lifetime Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Check Clutch adjustment and oil in the baker rsd and primary.
Tension of primary chain makes problems to find Neutral if its to strong adjusted..
maybe after it will be smoother.

Mr. Wright

Guru
Lifetime Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Sound more like you have a bearing going out. Pull the drain plug and see if there are any metal in the oil.

Eduardo Hernandez

Check Clutch adjustment and oil in the baker rsd and primary.
Tension of primary chain makes problems to find Neutral if its to strong adjusted..
maybe after it will be smoother.
I've done all this and it's good on shifting up but really can't feel the gears going in. On down shift, as mentioned on my initial post, it only down shifts one gear lower and the rest are a little difficult and at times won't happen until i kick them in.

Brent Herridge

N1 shift drum ? I always wondered why all bikes didn't put N at the bottom instead of hiding it between 1st and 2nd.

Who else has heard of this or has experience with it ?

knothead

RIGID4LIFE
Supporting Member
Ive heard of it but dont know much about it as far as cost and all that has to be done to make it work...i got a friend that done it to his wifes bike...he didnt do it he had it done....i will check with him and see what it consist of