S&S 117 Camshaft cover camshaft bushing

Ridgebackvince

Supporting Member
Am i right to understand that the camshafts bushing should be stationary in the cam cover with the bushings hole lined up with the oil passage hole in the cam cover. Now, with the camshaft cover bushing being stationary in the cover the camshaft will turn inside the bushing. I think thats right since the cover is aluminum it is softer than the camshafts steel. So the bushing should be pressed into the cam cover and pinned in place so it won't turn and the oil hole of the bushing should be lined up with the oil passage of the cover?

JohnBoy

Press. Pin. Ream the bushing for shaft dia. clearance. Bushing should never come out freely from the cover.

Ridgebackvince

Supporting Member
Im swapping for the 585 cam. So when i removed the cam cover the bushing was stuck on the stock cam. I am hopping the the new cam cover bushing will not spin in the cover. I have a 6 ton hydraulic press to do the job. So if it has a snug fit i was thinking of pinning it in place so it wont turn.

JohnBoy

Sounds like the cover will need an over sized bearing. Since the bearing was stuck on the cam. It means it spun in the cover. Check the cover for out of round and mic it for size then go get a new bearing. If out of round you'll need to over sized it best if you have a bike shop nearby to do it so the hole will be correct.

Ridgebackvince

Supporting Member
I will know the condition of the cam cover hole once my new bushing comes in. I measured it with a caliper, seems to be ok some slight scratches. But will the new bushing be tight i will have to find out once it comes in. I will post the outcome.

Ridgebackvince

Supporting Member
Sounds like the cover will need an over sized bearing. Since the bearing was stuck on the cam. It means it spun in the cover. Check the cover for out of round and mic it for size then go get a new bearing. If out of round you'll need to over sized it best if you have a bike shop nearby to do it so the hole will be correct.
I have good news. My bushing came in. It is tight. The inside diameter turns nicely on the cam {no honing needed} the outside is a half a Jezuits priests balls sack hair diameter larger that the old bushing.

JohnBoy

Sounds good but check the cam fit after installing the bushing and pinning it as the opening will compress.