Replacing RT/LFT control boards

Energy One

CurtK

Hello BigDog Bikers!! I have been away from the forum and away from my bike just as long. I am attempting to start riding after almost a year of neglect. I was beginning to have issues with the control buttons, turn signals, start/stop.
I ordered new boards and I have successfully replaced left side now working on the right side. Thanks to all the excellent posts I have been able to get this far.
My question is that I cannot remove the front brake switch. I gave it a little tug but it did not slide out. My '07 service manual shows a setscrew to loosen but do not see this setscrew. See the photo.RT Hand controls.jpgRT Hand controls.jpgRT Hand controls.jpg

In the photo I am holding the new front brake switch that just plugs into the board, no soldering.

Curtis

Hello BigDog Bikers!! I have been away from the forum and away from my bike just as long. I am attempting to start riding after almost a year of neglect. I was beginning to have issues with the control buttons, turn signals, start/stop.
I ordered new boards and I have successfully replaced left side now working on the right side. Thanks to all the excellent posts I have been able to get this far.
My question is that I cannot remove the front brake switch. I gave it a little tug but it did not slide out. My '07 service manual shows a setscrew to loosen but do not see this setscrew. See the photo.View attachment 66259View attachment 66259View attachment 66259

In the photo I am holding the new front brake switch that just plugs into the board, no soldering.

Curtis
Curtis the set screw is under the front of the control. Take off the forward piece there you will see the set screw. I will see if I can get a picture for you

CurtK

Curtis the set screw is under the front of the control. Take off the forward piece there you will see the set screw. I will see if I can get a picture for you
Thanks for quick response. I was being lazy thinking I can change out without removing entire brake system but I guess that is what I will have to do.

My question is that I cannot remove the front brake switch. I gave it a little tug but it did not slide out. My '07 service manual shows a setscrew to loosen but do not see this setscrew. See the photo.View attachment 66259View attachment 66259View attachment 66259

Curtis
See attached pic AFC0F140-9D59-43AE-963B-AE7520D64B32.jpeg

Thanks my friend. I will dig a little deeper tomorrow. I appreciate the help though. I will let you know the outcome.
Np,
Here is something I did while replacing mine on my ridgeback build. I used light shrink wrap around the connection from the reed switch (brake) to the pcb board. Be careful not to put too much heat on the boards. This helped keep the reed switch connected to the boards. A03BB578-D69C-4446-9E16-B6C85AA14F4A.jpeg

CurtK

Followup.jpg
Here is an image of the set screw but how do I backoff? Pleading ignorance. I cannot loosen any, was there supposed to be a screw in there? No hex screw, cannot slide out brake wire, it is snug

View attachment 66279
Here is an image of the set screw but how do I backoff? Pleading ignorance. I cannot loosen any, was there supposed to be a screw in there? No hex screw, cannot slide out brake wire, it is snug
There is a tiny set screw. Use a small Allen (I can’t remember exactly what size) insert the Allen deep into that hole to loosen the set screw. Trust me it’s in there otherwise the reed switch would pull right out. Be careful not to strip it, I have had to drill it out and replace the set screw due to stripping screw.
Also be careful not to back it all the way out, they are tiny and are hard to find if it drops out.

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
Its a .05 allen wrench...alot of allen sets doesnt have it ...stanley kit from walmart has the .05 in it...i have had them to be screwed all the way in....meaning the brake switch was in to far and the set screw was screwed all the way in and its inside it hung up with the wire...i have had to gently twist the brake switch back and forth while pulling gently on the wire and the set screw and all came out with it...i got q feeling this has happen to you on yu ours

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
I have had 2 different bikes brought to me because of this...they where having the same problem as u...my silver bike was also like this when i bought it....its in there but i bet thats what has happened...let us know what u find

CurtK

Morning guys, good information here. Yes the smallest hex wrench I had was a 3/32.
I will have to get the 1/16=.050 wrench. That is a small set screw. Visually doesn't look like there is anything in there.
I appreciate you guys helping out. Will try to tackle after work today.
I need to get this done before Nukeranger returns from vacation. He has been my shadetree mechanic.
Curt
:oldhardlaugh:

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
1/16 is .062.... .050 next size down....like i said the cheap stanley kit at walmart has it in it

CurtK

Repairs on hold for now. There is a tropical depression possibly Hurricane Barry barreling my direction.
We are currently under a Hurricane Watch and will know something definitive in next 24-36 hours.
Time to batten down the hatches.
Curt

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
Repairs on hold for now. There is a tropical depression possibly Hurricane Barry barreling my direction.
We are currently under a Hurricane Watch and will know something definitive in next 24-36 hours.
Curt
I hope yall stay safe thats the main thing....pray for yall that all goes well

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Curt
Sounds like a great time to be in the garage! Haha what else is there to do?

Cold all winter and rained every dayuntil a month ago. I spent more time in the garage than I did the house, not sure why I have a house actually! Haha

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

CurtK

Morning guys, we are seeing calm before the storm today. Sunny, mild temps, low humidity. I believe this will be mostly be a rain event. Getting people in low lying areas to voluntarily evacuate.
I am about 30 miles from GOM as the crow flies.

I could definitely use a day in the garage just me and the bike. Cycle really needs some TLC. I would be embarrassed to post a photo here for fear of being banned for cruel treatment.

Curt

Last edited:

roadie1389

Morning guys, we are seeing calm before the storm today. Sunny, mild temps, low humidity. I believe this will be mostly be a rain event. Getting people in low lying areas to voluntarily evacuate.
I am about 30 miles from GOM as the crow flies.

I could definitely use a day in the garage just me and the bike. Cycle really needs some TLC. I would be embarrassed to post a photo here for fear of being banned for cruel treatment.

Curt
Actually folks like the rags to riches stories.