Pushrod tubes & oil routing to rocker box

Energy One

Ridgebackvince

Supporting Member
Ok i am a dumb daygo. When i finished pushrod adjustment i did not push the upper pushrod tubes up before i installed the keeper clips. Then i rode the bike for a 3 miles. As a result, the right side was drenched with oil. My concern now is did i damage the valves? i understand now that oil routes up the pushrod tubes. I was hoping does oil have other passages to the rocker boxes. Or did i damage the engine.

Last edited:

Mikeinjersey

Ok i am a dumb daygo. When i finished pushrod adjustment i did not push the upper pushrod tubes up before i installed the keeper clips. Then i rode the bike for a 3 miles. As a result, the right side was drenched with oil. My concern now is did i damage the valves? i understand now that oil routes up the pushrod tubes. I was hoping does oil have other passages to the rocker boxes. Or did i damage the engine.
Hi Vince,
Oil does not travel up the push rod "tubes" it travels up the center of the pushrod itself. My guess is you had the tubes out of the correct position or damaged the o-rings like pknowles suggested. Page 5-29 will give you a graphic of the Oil system. I agree, it's not likely you damaged your engine. Especially since you didn't hear any rocker noise.

Ridgebackvince

Supporting Member
Hi Vince,
Oil does not travel up the push rod "tubes" it travels up the center of the pushrod itself. My guess is you had the tubes out of the correct position or damaged the o-rings like pknowles suggested. Page 5-29 will give you a graphic of the Oil system. I agree, it's not likely you damaged your engine. Especially since you didn't hear any rocker noise.
I want to thank everyone for helping me. Looks like i did no damage to my baby. I inspected the o rings on the pushrod tubes including the upper o rings that are under the head, everything seems to be okay. I pushed the upper tubes in place and installed the keeper clips. I started the bike let it run for 20 minutes reved it up a few time with no leaks. Once again thank you.

HMAN

I just like my Freedom
I want to thank everyone for helping me. Looks like i did no damage to my baby. I inspected the o rings on the pushrod tubes including the upper o rings that are under the head, everything seems to be okay. I pushed the upper tubes in place and installed the keeper clips. I started the bike let it run for 20 minutes reved it up a few time with no leaks. Once again thank you.
Ride on!

Sven

A pure guess on my part. As stated, lube goes up the center of the pushrod tube. All you witnessed was another return of oil down the outside of the tubes is one return, then the tiny return hole at the cylinder near a stud hole is the other return. No way could you damage parts that were under oil pressure load. You went more old style is oil was used as a total loss oil system.

Try NASCAR style is setting the pushrods at EOIC. Example is: When Exhaust valve just begins to open, stop and adjust the intake pushrod so many turns. When the Intake valve just begins to close, stop and set the ex pushrod.