Please help

Energy One

SGM Hendrix

Member
Anyone able to tell me what to do, after washing and polishing my big dog, the next day after trying to start her the speedo does absolutely nothing when the key is turned to the on position. After a few moments if left on the right turn signal will illuminate on the speedo but the bike is none responsive, horn doesn't work either. Battery is reading 12.6

While washing I only wet the the chrome items, and avoided any known electrical parts. So I washed motor, front and back wheel, I avoided seat, speedo and forward controls.. this is the second bath I have given and didn’t have this problem before...

As you can see key is out and speedo shows right signal on..

second pic you can the the box under seat is all lite up and the key isn’t in ignition
 

Attachments

SGM Hendrix

Member
Anyone able to tell me what to do, after washing and polishing my big dog, the next day after trying to start her the speedo does absolutely nothing when the key is turned to the on position. After a few moments if left on the right turn signal will illuminate on the speedo but the bike is none responsive, horn doesn't work either. Battery is reading 12.6

While washing I only wet the the chrome items, and avoided any known electrical parts. So I washed motor, front and back wheel, I avoided seat, speedo and forward controls.. this is the second bath I have given and didn’t have this problem before...

As you can see key is out and speedo shows right signal on..

second pic you can the the box under seat is all lite up and the key isn’t in ignition
68495271-D308-467C-B925-56CFBCC0F78B.jpeg
 

awg

Well-Known Member
Not sure if this would help but its worth a try. Try disconnecting the negative battery cable for a couple of minutes. I think it may reset the EHC. Try using a hair dryer and dry anything electrical.
 

SGM Hendrix

Member
I did the positive one for about 20 mins so far to prevent battery drain.. I can go retry it again.. I will put the heat gun on it for a few... not going to melt anything I know why your thinking...lol
 

bdm7250

Guru
Lifetime Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Not sure if this would help but its worth a try. Try disconnecting the negative battery cable for a couple of minutes. I think it may reset the EHC. Try using a hair dryer and dry anything electrical.
Disconnect both cables from the battery and touch them together for 15 seconds, this will reset the EHC.
 

SGM Hendrix

Member
I connected a spare wire to both wires off positive and negative terminal from the battery and no luck... connected negative and positive wires back to battery and the box is still lite up.

Additional note when I connect wires back to the battery upon initial contact with the battery the brake light does light up but goes off.. again key is not in the ignition
 
Remove your battery ground and wrap in a cloth to prevent accidental contact with the battery post.
Remove both d-sub connectors from the EHC.
Using compressed air blow out the EHC connectors and the Harness connectors until they are dry.
Apply dielectric grease to the EHCs connectors and then install the connectors to the EHC.
Do not use the screws to pull the connector down to the EHC as they are small and delicate.
Press down on the connector as you tighten the screws until they get snug.
The dielectric grease will fill the voids and prevent future water infiltration.

If the EHC still lights up like your above photo then the micro-controller was damaged by the short caused by the water and the only repair is to replace.
 

SGM Hendrix

Member
Very good post however I am not 100 positive on some of the specifics
Exampl what are d sub connectors

I am trying to look in these worthless manual
 
They are the large connectors next to the troubleshooting LEDS that are all lit up on the EHC.
There will be one screw on each end of each connector and a couple are a bit of a pain to get to.
Yours look to be slotted screws but some are allen head.
When you remove the connector you will see a bunch of pins in the EHC connector.
They are small and sensitive so no poking anything into the connector.
Spray a little acetone or electronics cleaner into it and blow it out with compressed air.
 

SGM Hendrix

Member
Ok got it removed, cleaned it, so signs of water, had some old Grease in the connections but still does the same thing, is there a way to test the actually box?
 
Top