my slam button

Energy One

LittleMike

Supporting Member
I have a slam button on my starter because the previous owner said the solenoid was shot and couldn't be fixed. Why can't I just replace the solenoid? I do get a click when I hit the start button buts that's it.
It is a mofo to push that button in. I took it of and cleaned anything inside. Is there anything I can do to make that slam button easier to push in?
Thanks,
Mike

Sven

No. You are up against that spring inside. Not sure, but fixed is one thing, replace is another. Don't see why you couldn't replace it with the same style? See if one of the vendors here has that replacement.

Mikeinjersey

I have a slam button on my starter because the previous owner said the solenoid was shot and couldn't be fixed. Why can't I just replace the solenoid? I do get a click when I hit the start button buts that's it.
It is a mofo to push that button in. I took it of and cleaned anything inside. Is there anything I can do to make that slam button easier to push in?
Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike my guess would be to check the button and plunger for binds and also lubricate the plunger. Do you know if it's your solenoid is clicking when you hit the start or could it be the compression releases you are hearing. Put your finger on the releases and feel if that is where you are getting the click sound from. Read the voltage on the green wire going to your starter when you hit the start button it should read 12 + volts. If not the ehc may not be sending the signal. If you find that your starter is getting the voltage to make the solenoid click you may have a broken spring inside causing a severe bind in the plunger shaft.

LittleMike

Supporting Member
Hi Mike my guess would be to check the button and plunger for binds and also lubricate the plunger. Do you know if it's your solenoid is clicking when you hit the start or could it be the compression releases you are hearing. Put your finger on the releases and feel if that is where you are getting the click sound from. Read the voltage on the green wire going to your starter when you hit the start button it should read 12 + volts. If not the ehc may not be sending the signal. If you find that your starter is getting the voltage to make the solenoid click you may have a broken spring inside causing a severe bind in the plunger shaft.
Thx for the reply Mike, the click is at the starter. I will check the green wire.

LittleMike

Supporting Member
No. You are up against that spring inside. Not sure, but fixed is one thing, replace is another. Don't see why you couldn't replace it with the same style? See if one of the vendors here has that replacement.
That's my thoughts. I could try one. I don't think they are very expensive.

Mikeinjersey

Thx for the reply Mike, the click is at the starter. I will check the green wire.
Since your getting the click at the starter it means your getting the signal and the solenoid is at least trying to activate. Also your bike does start when you force the slam button .That would lead me to believe that electrically your starter is probably good. I would pull it out and do a close physical check inside the plunger area before I bought a new one. They are expensive and definitely worth repairing. Lots of parts and kits available https://www.bigdogpartskingpin.com/

HMAN

I just like my Freedom
thx Mike, do you mean pull the whole starter or just the slam button?
I was hoping I could just get a seloniod kit but I can't find anything for a 2004 chopper.
Try here....

LittleMike

Supporting Member
Try here....
Nada for an 04 selonoid. Thx though

Mikeinjersey

Nada for an 04 selonoid. Thx though
Hi Mike I meant pull the starter out so you can have a good look at it to see what parts you may need. It's much easier to inspect for binds and such when it's in your hands. Also easier to troubleshoot electrically if needed. Give HDM a call for help with finding the parts you may need. They are very willing to help you out.

LittleMike

Supporting Member
Hi Mike I meant pull the starter out so you can have a good look at it to see what parts you may need. It's much easier to inspect for binds and such when it's in your hands. Also easier to troubleshoot electrically if needed. Give HDM a call for help with finding the parts you may need. They are very willing to help you out.
Ugh, I was hoping you wouldn't say that.

Mikeinjersey

I've looked at the diagram and it doesn't look like an easy job for me at least
What diagram are you speaking of? Do you mean it looks difficult to pull the starter or the wiring looks difficult? When you removed the slam button did you also take the plunger and spring out to inspect? If not remove the plunger and look inside for a piece of broken spring or other obstruction. A chunk of contact could be holding you up. Look at the parts picture you posted for a reference. I know it says 05 and up but it's probably not too different. wildsteedworx.com is another resource for parts and tech assist if you call for advice.

LittleMike

Supporting Member
What diagram are you speaking of? Do you mean it looks difficult to pull the starter or the wiring looks difficult? When you removed the slam button did you also take the plunger and spring out to inspect? If not remove the plunger and look inside for a piece of broken spring or other obstruction. A chunk of contact could be holding you up. Look at the parts picture you posted for a reference. I know it says 05 and up but it's probably not too different. wildsteedworx.com is another resource for parts and tech assist if you call for advice.
I meant taking out the starter.
Ya, I pulled everything out from behind the slam button and cleaned it. I'll have a look at the contacts inside, I don't remember seeing those.

Mikeinjersey

I meant taking out the starter.
Ya, I pulled everything out from behind the slam button and cleaned it. I'll have a look at the contacts inside, I don't remember seeing those.
The plunger itself is a contact and when it gets pulled in by the start switch or pushed in by the slam button it shorts the two contacts between the Hot side+ and the - ground side which in-turn spins the starter. For safety, make sure you disconnect the battery (- side first then + side) before you remove the slam button. It's not witchcraft. If you push the plunger in with your finger you will understand how it actually works. The spring is intended to restore the plunger to it's original position after voltage signal is removed or the slam button is released. Also look were the green wire comes in for a broken wire on the inside. That wire creates the magnetic field which pulls in the plunger. Broken wire means no solenoid action. When you put it back together connect the battery Pos+ side first and lastly the neg- ground side. I'm not certain but I think wildsteedworx will rebuild your starter if you send it to them.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Going back to your original post if it works with the slam button it shoukd work with push button on the hand control. It acts identical, it can only be solenoid related if that solenoid plug wire is disconnected. So replacing the solenoid and contacts won't help.

If it doesn't work without the hand control button it's a wiring issue or a bad switch in the hand control. You should see +12V on the solenoid wire when you hit the start button.

You can jump the solenoid wire directly from the battery and see if it will turn over.

Considering it's an 04 and being 16 years young, it could just be a worn out PCB switch if it's the original.

Last edited:

LittleMike

Supporting Member
thanks for the replies and suggestions but I'm such a bonehead. I went back and listened and felt the click. It is the compression releases I hear and feel. There is nothing coming from the starter. I apologized for wasting your time, I have been through forums researching but I have just skimming through them, maybe I better slow down.

Mikeinjersey

thanks for the replies and suggestions but I'm such a bonehead. I went back and listened and felt the click. It is the compression releases I hear and feel. There is nothing coming from the starter. I apologized for wasting your time, I have been through forums researching but I have just skimming through them, maybe I better slow down.
Cool ! at least now you can start troubleshooting the problem. First do your best to get the slam button to go in as easy as possible. The next step is to read the voltage at the green wire when you hit the start button. This can be done with the wire pulled from the starter.(Safety ) Just put the positive lead of the meter to the wire and ground the neg. You may see a low voltage on the wire before you hit the start button but when you hear the compression releases look for a voltage increase . If you get the 12+ volts your issue is with the starter. Possibly the broken wire I mention in post #15. If you don't get 12 volts come back and we can continue shooting.
By the way, nothing wrong with just using the slam button if this project starts to be costly.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Na not a bonehead, now you gotta figure out what's the root cause in it not working from the button.

If compression releases are working on the button sounds like button is fine. As the other guy mentioned measure the voltage on the green wire.

You'll figure it out so you don't have to use the slam button, previous owner was just lazy and stuck a bandaid on it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

LittleMike

Supporting Member
late responce, I did get 12 volts at the green wire. I will next pull the slam button and have a closer looksee inside.
Thx for the help on this one